Close

Builder Last Online: Oct 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-10-18 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Box Stock Attribution

Attachment 33282

Before I get into my next build I would like to spend a moment to contemplate a very important tool in my tool box. My mother gave it to me when she said "young man you had better learn patience" I can remember her saying "will you just wait a minute" a minute! a minute! for a 4 year old a minute can feel like forever. Since that time patience has become a practice, one that I have been able to use and learn from. You will understand why this tool will be so important as I reveal the nature of my next build.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    Patience you must have
    Lets see if this picture post works.
    Patience you must have-p1040264-jpg

Patience you must have
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    The Force is strong with this one! I was told, "Patience is a virtue, get it if you can, seldom found in women, never found in man!" Apparently it's an accessory!
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    Patience you must have
    Patience you must have-p1040284-jpg

Little did I know that when I opened the September issue of FineScale Modeler that I would be entering the world of the diecast modeler. Until that moment in time I believed that diecast models were produced for the collector and only the originator had the pleasure of the build. As I investigated the details of this offering I found that words like issue and parts sets had a far greater meaning. I am accustomed to an all inclusive boxed model with parts sets packed in little cellophane bags, or in the case of 1:8 scale, large cellophane bags. I will get to the point, EAGLEMOSS has produced a model that is to be assembled with a screwdriver (provided). It is the "Back to the Future" DeLorean in 1:8 scale, with a parts fit and finish that is beyond reproach. In my next post I will give more details as to the experience this build should provide. Hint, hint, patience.

Patience you must have
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    Patience you must have
    Patience you must have-p1040285-jpg

EAGLEMOSS has devised diabolical way to entice the builder to continue the adventure. Every month they will send you four parts packs and four issue booklets, all wrapped up as a subscription. The issues contain historical information, graphics and a instructions, "and just what is all this going to cost" she asks, and I reply with a smug grin, "cigarette money". I will use the money that I saved since the time I quit smoking back in the mid 1970s, when demon-tobacco cost .65 cents a pack. I knew back then that if I had patience one day in the not to distant future I would possess this automotive icon. Now I am that future man about to build a really small car that will take me back to the past. Emily remarked that with all that cigarette money you saved you could afford a larger car.
    s

Patience you must have
    Attached Images Attached Images Patience you must have-p1040286-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    Patience you must have
    Here I am, just waiting around for delivery of the next four parts issue. Does it not seem ironic that I must wait a month to receive parts for a time machine?
    Patience you must have-p1040292-jpg
    Patience you must have-p1040290-jpg
    Patience you must have-p1040295-jpg

Patience you must have
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    Patience you must have
    There here, there here, the parts are here. After so much anticipation my patience was rewarded with Build Up Issues 7, 8, 9, and ten, which includes the frame and some front end suspension parts. This might be the right time to mention the screws. Remember the screws and the provided screwdriver. Someone must have lost a lot of sleep over the choice of the right screw for the right secure point. I mean like I am up to 10 different (self tapping?) screws. No problem, I have lots of tools, small sharp pointy tools, I can deal with this. But first lets try the manly way with lots of torque and plenty of force. I even like the sound of it. But you know what happened, the screwdriver slipped and all that torque and force jammed it dam near through my hand. I mean that by the time I stopped jumping around there was blood all over the work bench. It looked like a crime seen in a slasher movie. Do you think that Emily would put a tourniquet on my wrist or offer a pint of blood, nooo. Its "clean up this mess it's time for supper".

Patience you must have
    Attached Images Attached Images Patience you must have-p1040335-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    Patience you must have
    So here we go again. Supper was great and it gave me time to work out a solution to the tight screw hole dilemma. If there is a problem with the hole being to tight due to excess paint or whatever why not tap the hole before you run in the screw, brilliant. So after the tap broke (not so brilliant) I cut off about 5/16" of the stub end and replaced it with machined aluminum stub. What lesson is there to be learned from this fiasco, Decaf-coffee and exercise more patience. Issues 11-14, Engine Support will be in at the end of next month giving me plenty of time to correct the error of my ways.

Patience you must have-p1040325-jpg
    Patience you must have-p1040328-jpg
    Patience you must have-p1040335-jpg

Patience you must have
    QUOTE QUOTE #8