Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-15-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Well, it's been years since I've built an actual static model, but I've been wanting to do this kit for a long time. Years ago I looked round on the Bay and couldn't find anything under a hundred. Now they're going for over $300 So when I found one without the box for $140 I jumped on it. I've always liked second-gen Firebirds, and even though the Turbo is the low point, the price was right and it's still a damned fine looking car.

The kit comes with gold decals, which sort of limits my color choices. I narrowed it down to red or gold, leaning towards red.

I intend to throw lots of extra styrene The Bird is the word! 80 Turbo T/A at this, boxing in the subframe and the wheel spats for starters. And of course another anal-retentive engine detailing job.

Kit's not here yet, but I thought I'd share. Don't see any completed Firebird builds here, so maybe this will be the first. Wonder if I can get it done in time for the contest?
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. The creative explorer's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Erik
    Nice kit, I got one a year or 2 ago from the States from a swap, the guy wan't really into big scales and it was started. I could get it for I think less then 50 bucks. Only the engine was started and I tore it apart and I am now starting to rebuild it.

About the decals; it can be quite simple; scan the decals hi-res and upload them in photoshop, with the color-configurations, you can change the decals to blue, red or black and then you have the whole lot of colorchoice.
    When you are satisfied, print them on either white or clear decal The Bird is the word! 80 Turbo T/A paper, clear it and stick 'm on your car.

The prices of the big-scales are getting ridiculous, although I do believe that most of them on eBay are being put op high, but never get sold. Usually, when it is no-reserve bidding, they go for around 100-150. A bit more fair, but still way too much.

If I were you, and I am not, I wouldn't want to get it done within 2 weeks. I am preparing the Golden T that needs to be done within 2 weeks, already hard enough, plus you don't really have time to go very wild on custom-detailling. It is better to take some more time for the build
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by olijnsma View Post
    If I were you, and I am not, I wouldn't want to get it done within 2 weeks. I am preparing the Golden T that needs to be done within 2 weeks, already hard enough, plus you don't really have time to go very wild on custom-detailling. It is better to take some more time for the build
    That's where I made my bungle.I would have to leave out so much detail to get it done, it wouldn't be worth it. I really wound up with a bad case of AMS (advanced model syndrome) and I don't see a cure The Bird is the word! 80 Turbo T/A anywhere on the horizon.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Well, I'm not in a hurry, but if work is slow I'll have a lot of time on my hands. When I get in the building groove it takes an act of God or major natural disaster to stop me. I've been known to spend 14-16 hours at the workbench

The Bird is the word! 80 Turbo T/A
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    OBH, what's your brand of coffee - I think I'll switch to it.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
    Well, I'm not in a hurry, but if work is slow I'll have a lot of time on my hands. When I get in the building groove it takes an act of God or major natural disaster to stop me. I've been known to spend 14-16 hours at the workbench
    Man, I wish I had that kind of drive..1borning1
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I remember when paint was 15 cents a bottle.

Today I spent 70 bucks on paint! Unreal.

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    If I were at the bench for 14 to 16 hours, they'd have to pack me off to the padded hobby room in the I love me jacket. Three hours and I've had it.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Last night I decided that not having the kit was no excuse for not starting it. Made a set of plug wires from an old computer ribbon cable (gray), complete with plugs and wire looms.

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yo Busted....you planning a "manly" thunder chicken or a more sedate stocker? Just curious.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I've thought about both, but to do manky properly I'd need a 2-bbl Olds 350, front clip from a '78, two kinds of seats (in two different colors) at least 3 kinds of wheels, maybe some snow tires, aged paint. It would be a work of art fo sho, but I'm gonna do a showroom-new one just for a change of pace. That's actually harder for me since I can't just cover the fingerprints with rust

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    So, kitless work continues I founds a Camaro headlight lens in my parts box (I'm betting that they're the same) and figuring that Monogram would do their typical tint job on them, I made a silicone mold so I can copy them in clear resin The Bird is the word! 80 Turbo T/A .

Also found a roll of drywall-repair mesh. This will go in the front fender vents, and also act as a paint mask when I do the Hobnail Cloth interior.

And, I've been looking at Turbo engine pics. Got a long list of paint colors, parts locations (like the oil dipstick is in a completely retarded position at the back of the engine) and emissions pipes. The internet is a wonderful tool for researching this stuff.

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. The creative explorer's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Erik
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post

And, I've been looking at Turbo engine pics. Got a long list of paint colors, parts locations (like the oil dipstick is in a completely retarded position at the back of the engine) and emissions pipes. The internet is a wonderful tool for researching this stuff.
    Haha, my thoughts exactly on the dipstick, I started researching on the engine and I could never find the dipstick in pictures where the engine was still in the car. It took me a little to find a good out of the car picture to locate the dipstick, what a place...

The lenses and glasswork are molded clear, The targa-roof needs to be tinted, but the rest looks good.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Are they clear? That's awesome. I know Monogram had a serious tint fetish back in the 80's.

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sounds like you have a plan Busted.
    Do you remember that goofy metal-flake (metal glow, whatever) they used to mold some of the bodies.....I've had a few of those kits and never did get one that didn't have swirls of darker plastic and heavy flake through out.

I still occasional see a Vette in Metal Glow on evil bay....usually at a premium.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15