Close

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: LHD Seven

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-06-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

It's been a while since I built a Super Seven. Some might think after building one from scratch and building so many of them I'd have gotten tired of them. It's apparently an addiction.

This was a factory built Caterham model from Tamiya LHD Seven I bought in 2002 so I could display it next to the Red Super Seven I built and heavily modified/detailed to show the difference between what the kit builds straight from the box and the changes I did.
      I took it apart and I am going to make it Left Hand Drive along with some other upgrades. I had already begun tinkering with it when I took this picture of it looking like a pile of junk.

LHD Seven
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I think this might be #9 in 1/12th if you count the 100% scratch-built one. Many more in other scales.
    I own Corvette and Camaros. Never even owned a Ford, but I do have firsthand experience with Sevens.

I made and installed the padded tunnel cover. (It matches the seat padding.)

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #212

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The wheels and tires have been installed plus well over 100 aluminum parts have been machined and added that are just mounting hardware (bolts, washers and nuts).
    I also replaced the padding on the transmission tunnel. It looks the same, but it's better than the first one…

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #213

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very sweet
    QUOTE QUOTE #214

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks!

Since it's off the ground I installed the scratch-built muffler too.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #215

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    It is an occasional weekend racer and therefore could use some numbers for the autocross tracks, but for day to day use the vinyl cling numbers on roundels are stored in this cardboard tube.
    The tube is Evergreen stock; the caps are milled from raw resin LHD Seven .

I made decals for the cardboard and labels. The bottom is taped on like the full size counterpart I copied.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #216

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The chin spoiler is bolted on (with hardware I machined) and the grille has been installed.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #217

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made the rubber hood hold-downs out of soft vinyl.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #218

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I machined the bezel for the nose badge from aluminum. Made a decal LHD Seven for the logo and filled it with clear for a cloisonné look.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #219

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Badging is always important! Looks great. -so? for all the times that you have made this model, have you developed new techniques or strategies in making a model?

I am a big believer in revisiting subjects, and don't understand why more modelers do not?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #220

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post

I am a big believer in revisiting subjects, and don't understand why more modelers do not?
    Maybe because they go to another subject and have no time to think about what was done?
    QUOTE QUOTE #221

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Badging is always important! Looks great. -so? for all the times that you have made this model, have you developed new techniques or strategies in making a model?

Absolutely. The first one I built was purely out-of-the-box. The last one (prior to this one) was purely scratch-built. And that was a span of about 20 years.
    I started by adding custom made decals, then machined parts and progressed to general fabrication, pattern-making and resin LHD Seven casting LHD Seven , then started making brass body and frame sections and learned how to acid cut parts. Now I am designing in 3D and having parts grown.
    All the while I think my overall skill level has been climbing too.

I have been given a lot of grief for building "the same car" even though each one is unique and shares very little in the way of custom made parts (except the hardware).
    Just a couple months ago I was denied a contest win because the head judge claimed incorrectly I crank these out each year cookie cutter style. "He should be able to get the kit right after building so many." he ignorantly told the audience, who parroted it as fact and justification for the lesser enter to have won.
    I build for myself, not petty jealous judges, and I'll likely not return to that show. But I'm still annoyed at how he poisoned the minds of the other participants.

I just finished the new Tamiya LHD Seven TS050 LM car and I have another ready to start as soon as I finish this Seven.

There are several kits I have built multiple times, each differently and hopefully better. I don't see it as a cheat or shortcut, but at the same time after the first one you learn what to watch out for or figure better ways to do some things. If (when?) the opportunity arises, I'll gladly build another Seven.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #222

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Good Morning Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I agree with you completely, each model is a separate creation / assembly. -and each time you build one you learn / reinforce new skills, -or, each new time is a chance to try something new, something learned or suggested, something that "well it's too late now?" -"but on the next one!":

I am not fond of contests, but I do like shows. However back in my hobby shop days, we did provide incentives to the local IPMS LHD Seven chapter, though I did not agree with their policy of PLASTIC only! (The hobby is modeling, the skills in making a model transcend, and/or reinforce material considerations, I believe) -I also thought that they should allow past "Winners" to return again and again, make it a separate category, a "Legacy" contest, or an "Unlimited", or whatever, probably a popular vote, to avoid arguments, beating out a known winner, is an achievement! and a goal to work towards. -But all contests have their political side, and attendance must be encouraged, and a few other things.

Back to modeling. Problem solving. There are linear thinkers and lateral thinkers, and each has its ways, and each has its pitfalls. Commit to one technique finish it and move on without learning something new, or spend too much time exploring and never finish anything?

Personal standards, we each have our own expectations.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #223

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Hi Don,
    I have grown weary of contests. I was a big IPMS LHD Seven participant since 1990 until I was told by Aris Pappas that a Jones would never win a Best Of Show at a Nationals again.
    He was so P.O.ed when I won in 2003 after he learned I was my father's son. (We are the only father & son to win a Best Of Show at a Nationals, him in the '60's; '02 for me.)
    Not so coincidentally the same guy that that accused me of cranking out Sevens earlier this year is the same guy that helped rig the '07 Nats and won with a collection of 35 Tamiya LHD Seven Sherman tanks. A bit hypocritical to chastise someone for building the same subject after doing the same kit over 35 times.

It's become too much about who entered than which model is the best constructed one in too many cases.
    Ironically if I go to a contest for the first time and nobody knows me, my entries usually do better.
    So I only go when I have something new and the timing is right. And I don't do the IPMS LHD Seven Nats at all.
    Now I prefer sharing on social media and offering tips that way than dealing with the petty stuff at shows.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #224

14. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    I'm not sure why this is a problem. It's your time, and it makes you happy, that's really all the justification that's needed.

Thankfully, they're not all like this, but there does seem to be an attitude in some IPMS LHD Seven circles that modeling means military modeling, and they really don't want you stinking up the place with your car models.
    QUOTE QUOTE #225

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Agreed Richard.
    The IPMS LHD Seven contests I've been to seem to have softened on the "Civilian Vehicles" approach and there is a good amount of automotive modelers attending.
    I can only surmise the issues I've come across stem from childishness on the part of a minority of empowered "officials". And the associated "good ole boys club" mentality.
    Most of the entrants are very nice people probably unaware of the club politics. But when a builder is singled out and not allowed to compete it shows what a sham the club actually is. Sad really.
    It used to be the contests were where we went to share and talk, now social media provides a good outlet for that. And since I don't feel the need to compete it works for me.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #226