Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: LHD Seven

Builder Last Online: Jul 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-06-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

It's been a while since I built a Super Seven. Some might think after building one from scratch and building so many of them I'd have gotten tired of them. It's apparently an addiction.

This was a factory built Caterham model from Tamiya LHD Seven I bought in 2002 so I could display it next to the Red Super Seven I built and heavily modified/detailed to show the difference between what the kit builds straight from the box and the changes I did.
      I took it apart and I am going to make it Left Hand Drive along with some other upgrades. I had already begun tinkering with it when I took this picture of it looking like a pile of junk.

LHD Seven
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I started the dash when I did the basic conversion to left-hand drive. It was intended to be just a blank place holder but I decided to use it anyway.
    First I trimmed out the bottom edges and then I started making the holes for the gauges.

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #107

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I decided on three different sizes of Auto Meter gauges.

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #108

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    After Swiss cheesing the dash I reinforced it on the back (front?) with .020 x .070 thick strips before risking a fracture.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #109

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The gauges will be Auto Meter brand. I started off with the tach and speedo and a small vacuum gauge.

They are milled so the lenses will mount from the inside like the real ones.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #110

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The water temp, oil pressure, volts and fuel housings were roughed out next…

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #111

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I made the needles for each gauge. They are different sizes and proportions because the gauges are three different sizes and two of the mid-sized ones are electrical and two are mechanical. (They are really small.)

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #112

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    These are the lenses I made for the gauges. The one for the vacuum gauge lens is already installed. The hole in the one is for the reset knob for the trip meter.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #113

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    These are the gauge faces. I machined the parts and drew the art and printed them out. The needles are mounted to shafts (like real ones).

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #114

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The reset knob for the trip odometer. Three pieces.
    The largest part of it is .030 in diameter and has the ribs machined into it.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #115

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The gauges are done and loosely fitted to the dash.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #116

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I started machining the switches for lights, blinkers, key, starter and windshield wipers.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #117

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    Key switch for the ignition is done.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #118

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I used SMS C/F decal LHD Seven for the dash, but it was too light and a bit coarse/high contrast for the look I wanted. So I tinted it with Tamiya LHD Seven Smoke and Clear Blue lacquers before clear coating it.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #119

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Your dash is really good looking! My own model is at the same scale, but I did not even think to do the needles as separate parts. My car is closed, your is open which makes a great difference: the dash is totally exposed to the viewer(s).
    QUOTE QUOTE #120