Close

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: LHD Seven

Builder Last Online: Nov 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-06-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

It's been a while since I built a Super Seven. Some might think after building one from scratch and building so many of them I'd have gotten tired of them. It's apparently an addiction.

This was a factory built Caterham model from Tamiya LHD Seven I bought in 2002 so I could display it next to the Red Super Seven I built and heavily modified/detailed to show the difference between what the kit builds straight from the box and the changes I did.
      I took it apart and I am going to make it Left Hand Drive along with some other upgrades. I had already begun tinkering with it when I took this picture of it looking like a pile of junk.

LHD Seven
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    Scratch-built brass roof, loosely dry fitted together, it doesn't all fit the way it will in the end since some of the panels need to be bolted in place for them to line up properly. But I like the way it is shaping up…
    (You can read a step-by-step how-to on how I made the roof in the current Scale Auto Magazine.)

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #92

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I finally got around to making the seatbelt hardware for it.
    It's acid cut brass.
    I drew the parts and made a resist (in black) then burned the parts out of the sheet.

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #93

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I modified the Tamiya LHD Seven anchor pieces by thinning them and filing the slots to accept a scale 2.5 inch wide belt instead of the 2.0 they normally accept. Top ones are roughed out; bottoms are "factory" sized slots.

I machined these buckles on my mill. The kit parts would lose integrity if they were widened to accept the wider belts I plan to use. They are in primer LHD Seven here ready to be cleaned up.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #94

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I didn't like the way the polished metal finish looked on the seats after they had been sitting for a while. They lost some of their luster and were becoming slightly splotchy looking. So I polished off the aluminum powder finish and Bare Metal Foiled them.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #95

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I machined aluminum snaps to fasten the seat covers to the seats.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #96

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I decided after I made the seat belt hardware to make the passenger side all clipped together. So I created new artwork and acid cut a new connected piece from brass for the buckles. This is it fresh from being cut.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #97

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The driveline tunnel was textured to look like it was shot with an epoxy LHD Seven bed liner and painted Wolf Blue, and then the raised rivet detail was scraped off to show the raw aluminum.

I also painted the interior panels Wolf Blue and then hand painted the rivet detail in silver.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #98

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The harnesses are ready to install. Except for the reworked anchors they are fully scratch-built. The driver's side lap belts are already in the car as I needed to use them to determine the lengths of the latched passenger side ones.

LHD Seven
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 05-18-18 at 04:59 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #99

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    I thought I could get away with only machining the snaps, (male and female) for the lower front parts of the seats. Until I installed them and realized that since I polished the rear panel it acted as a mirror and the back snaps (or lack thereof) were clearly visible in the reflection.
    So I went back to the lathe to make another eight parts…

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #100

10. Scott H.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Scott
    Now thats attention to detail!! What a great build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #101

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    Thank you Scott!

The start of a scratch-built brass removable "fiberglass" hardtop. See the June 2018 issue of Scale Auto magazine for the step-by-step how it was made…

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #102

12. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I was thinking about making a similar type of top on a future build I have in min, but using aluminum roofer's flashing and covering it with gaffers tape which has a fabric like texture to it. It's normally used in live performance music/theater to tape sound and electric cables to the floor so has good adhesion, it's tough but leaves no residue when removed. I like the texture because it is somewhat like a rubber coated canvas finish to it. Your pictures help me see a bit where I will need to go if I do it. This build looks great! Wish I had the skills and tools to do this kind of detail.
    QUOTE QUOTE #103

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    Aluminum is easier to bend, but the brass works so well with solder it is a better material for me. It will interesting to see how the tape works for you.

Test fitting to the body.

Added some flanges and mounting points…

I acid cut the opening for the rear window.

I also acid cut the frame that will hold the rear window in.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #104

14. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    How about painting it and press some fine woven fabric on it, there you get the fabric pattern in the paint, some use lace to paint fancy work.
    QUOTE QUOTE #105

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I'm actually quite a bit farther ahead than the photos I've posted show. The inside has been "fiberglassed".
    There is the full article in the July 2108 Scale Auto magazine that shows how I made the textures.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #106