Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: LHD Seven

Builder Last Online: Oct 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-06-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

It's been a while since I built a Super Seven. Some might think after building one from scratch and building so many of them I'd have gotten tired of them. It's apparently an addiction.

This was a factory built Caterham model from Tamiya LHD Seven I bought in 2002 so I could display it next to the Red Super Seven I built and heavily modified/detailed to show the difference between what the kit builds straight from the box and the changes I did.
      I took it apart and I am going to make it Left Hand Drive along with some other upgrades. I had already begun tinkering with it when I took this picture of it looking like a pile of junk.

LHD Seven
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice filter! You are mastering the technique to add inscriptions or labels, I don't...
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thank you Roger.
    Since I have been doing decal LHD Seven art for model kits for decades (Scale-Master Decals) I have some experience under my belt.
    Most of my Sevens have only my art and prototype printed decals on them.

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    What program are you using for decals, and the printer must be very good, I have CorelDraw
    The only problem is printing white, unlees it's a very expencive printer.
    Last edited by Egon; 09-30-17 at 02:55 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    CorelDraw is good. I prefer Adobe Illustrator only because I've been using it since the 80's.

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The fuel tank and filler pipe, both kit parts just painted up with added decals and wiring for the fuel gauge and a machined fitting for the fuel line. A little staining and grime was added too.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The kit provides the floor of the "trunk" as a nice sheet aluminum piece.

A friend of mine has a plywood part for that piece in his Seven. So I cemented some thin sheets of birch wood together, stained them with some dark brown acrylic LHD Seven and sealed the bottom with resin LHD Seven and fiberglass for strength.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    Borrowing styling cues from the Lotus S4 and SS TwinCam rear fenders I modified the somewhat boring stock ones to hide the blocky tail light set up to a degree.
    I filled in the holes for the back-up lights first.

Then I built boxes around the mounting area of each light and added more sheet styrene LHD Seven to make the fairings.

A little rough sanding LHD Seven to shape…

Primed and ready for paint.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The nose was primed in white and what will be the blue areas were masked off before shooting the orange; much like the sides were done.

Then the orange was masked and the blue applied.

The black pinstripes were added. When they fully dry I'll clear coat LHD Seven .

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    Was able to shoot the clear last night…

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    The fuel cap was machined as two basic pieces.

Then 6 bolts were made for mounting to the car and a ring added around the lock cylinder.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice!
    QUOTE QUOTE #72

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    LHD Seven
    Thank you Roger!

I made this little back-up light since I removed the factory ones from the rear fenders. I machined an aluminum housing, bezel and double-lock mounting nut, made a light bulb, and found a lens from the parts box to build it all around. The mounting post is steel.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #73