Close

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: LHD Seven

Builder Last Online: Mar 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-06-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

It's been a while since I built a Super Seven. Some might think after building one from scratch and building so many of them I'd have gotten tired of them. It's apparently an addiction.

This was a factory built Caterham model from Tamiya LHD Seven I bought in 2002 so I could display it next to the Red Super Seven I built and heavily modified/detailed to show the difference between what the kit builds straight from the box and the changes I did.
      I took it apart and I am going to make it Left Hand Drive along with some other upgrades. I had already begun tinkering with it when I took this picture of it looking like a pile of junk.

LHD Seven
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The tops of the carbs have been installed and the fuel fittings were machined/fabricated and attached to them. A section of the fuel line is on too.
    It's starting to get tight between the carbs. But there is enough clearance for the linkages to work without rubbing the wires.

LHD Seven
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 02-25-19 at 04:59 PM.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #182

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Fuel pressure regulator. Because it's mandatory for Webers… Machined aluminum.

LHD Seven
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #183

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    That looks just like the regulator I had on the first car I ever owned - a 1975 VW Rabbitt. The Zenith carb on it crapped out and I replaced it with a single Holley-Weber carb which was cheaper and easier, but I had to put the regulator on because the fuel pump would overflow the bowl and flood my engine. The regulator was very helpful in that regard but I lived in Texas at the time and my car tended to run hot LHD Seven so I'd sometimes get vapor lock and have to pull over and press the top to release the pressure. ;-) hope you don't have any such issues!
    QUOTE QUOTE #184

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Ironically, I replaced the Holley-Weber 2bbl on my Vega with two 48 DCOE Weber side drafts. That necessitated the (same) regulator to throttle back the Airtex electric pump.
    I suspect this will work fine on the Seven... It just has to look the part.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #185

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Added the decals and installed the regulator into the fuel line.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #186

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Not cast; individually machined from resin LHD Seven . Air filters…

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #187

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Made the flanges and the mounting hardware for the air cleaners.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #188

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Added the stitching to the steering wheel and mounted it to the crush sleeve.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #189

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Finished the air filter set. Foam filters on hard plastic bases that use hose clamps to fasten to the the intake horns.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #190

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Made and installed all the hose clamps (including the hex head worm drives) for the fuel lines and radiator hoses.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #191

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Finished the stone screens and fasteners for them.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #192

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Mechanical Water Temperature Sender.

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #193

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The radiator cap is finished. Machined aluminum/custom decal LHD Seven .
    Also made the overflow tank and mounting hardware.

LHD Seven
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 03-17-19 at 04:39 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #194

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    From the near start of the project I planned to make the spare tire and support section of the frame removable for part-time racing. The main bolt to hold the wheel to the car frame was fabricated from brass.

The hold-down strap with ratchet buckle is scratch-built. I also made a "working" connector for the wiring that powers the license light and machined all the mounting hardware.

(License plate/frame and wheel are also made from scratch.) Looks like I better hurry and finish it before the tags expire…

LHD Seven
    QUOTE QUOTE #195