Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-03-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi, I’m looking for the address of „HIGHWAY 61“, I would like to write a letter to this manufacturer. Why, I tell you:
      A few days ago my new big toy arrived. It is the 1957 Corvette in the 1/6 scale. It is a really impressive and heavy model I tell you. But after unpacking and after a close inspection I was a bit disappointed. The model is far behind what I have expected. After I have seen the video at YouTube and some reviews I thought the model would be the top of the line. It is not! It is too much to write it down here. The finish is excellent. The fit of parts is nearly poor. The details are cheap. The car body should have made of fibre glass like the original and not die cast. And the best of all, I can’t figure out how to remove the wheels?????
      I have to ask the people at Highway 61 may be they know. Or somebody knows it here in the forum?
      The car was really expensive but I can’t give it back. So I’m planning to scale it up and rebuild the piece.
      But some of us are model builder, so I have some work for my old days……….
      I keep you informed if interested.
      With kind regards and thank you in advance
      Wolfgang

P.S.: in a few days I hope the Danbury Mint 1957 Corvette in black arrives here in Germany. I hope this model is a bit better. I hope I can use it as a sample for tuning the big toy. I found this model after long looking for it in Florida.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Wie gehts, Wolfgang. I can see after looking at those beautiful knives why the Corvette doesn't meet your expectations. Your work is first rate and absolutely gorgeous. It's heads and feet over the builders at Highway 61. I know this model and I know how much it costs. You've got a very rare opportunity to superdetail the largest die cast model I've seen. I'm sure whatever you do to the model will greatly enhance its appearance and realism. If you have the ability to cast new parts in metal, you can easily replace some of those cheap plastic parts.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with how the wheels come off. I would assume there are some lug nuts that work like the real thing but I haven't been able to see the model up close. If you can take some pictures of the wheel, we may be able to figure it out on our own. Also, if you need some help with research to be able to superdetail the Corvette, we might be able to help. Good luck in your search and again, welcome to the forum
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Wie gehts, Wolfgang. I can see after looking at those beautiful knives why the Corvette doesn't meet your expectations. Your work is first rate and absolutely gorgeous. It's heads and feet over the builders at Highway 61. I know this model and I know how much it costs. You've got a very rare opportunity to superdetail the largest die cast model I've seen. I'm sure whatever you do to the model will greatly enhance its appearance and realism. If you have the ability to cast new parts in metal, you can easily replace some of those cheap plastic parts.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with how the wheels come off. I would assume there are some lug nuts that work like the real thing but I haven't been able to see the model up close. If you can take some pictures of the wheel, we may be able to figure it out on our own. Also, if you need some help with research to be able to superdetail the Corvette, we might be able to help. Good luck in your search and again, welcome to the forum
    There is a rather large gallery of this model here, which may help sizing up wheels, etc:

1957 Corvette Coupe 1:6 Die Cast Model - LegacyMotors Scale Model Cars
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    @ hot HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale ford coupe" wie ist dein Name? I feel fine thank you! Only a bit trouble with my haert, since a few months, could be the age (65)??!! Thank you for your reply and thank you for visiting my homepage. At the moment I'm a bit lazy with knife building......I'm again on the model car trip. I have colected a lot of pages dealing with the 1957 Corvette, especially with the engine. But I look for more details. Casting HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale is a bit critical, but CNC is not so abigproblem, I have some friends.......*lol*

@ SJORDAN, this homepage was one of the reason I bought the Corvette. The pictures are great. As I said befor, from a distance of 1 or 2 meters it looks great!!!

Here a picture of one of the wheels, I think I have to disassemble the car and then removing the wheel is possible?? The whole wheel is glued together I think The knock of part (I don't know the correct name) is also glued to the wheel.

I wish you all a nice day and see you again (hopefully).
    Wolfgang

HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale
    Attached Images Attached Images HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale-h6150402_13-jpg 
    Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Mail: wolfgang@dell-knives.de
    Page: www.dell-knives.de
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Dear Wolfgang,

after I had a look at your Mercedes SSKL, I am quite sure, that you have got the abilities to make this Corvette a perfect model. It's a pity, that the die-cast did not turn out to be the quality you expected, but improving it will be more fun than putting it in your cabinet stock.

Please let us know, how you tackle this monster.

Also Ärmel hochkrempeln und los!

Cheers

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Hi Winglot;
    Working mostly with diecasts ( 1/18th ) myself these days, it quite often amazes me the engineering that goes into them as regards their assembly.
    You may need to remove the tires from the rims!. Quite often the wheel rim is consists of an inner and an outer half. If the rims are plastic, they may have pins to align them to each other, which may have the ends of the pins heat swaged to hold the rims together.
    If you remove the heat swaged area the rims should be able to be split. You then should be able to see how the inner rim is attached to the spindles.
    Of course them may not be made this way, but this is what I would try first.
    Good luck
    Geoff aka whodaky
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    Now I have made it. I removed the wheels. But what they have done here is unbelievable! They glued all together. I took a wooden dowel and hammered very gently against the wheel “knock off” (is it the correct name for it?). Nothing moved. Then I used the dowel and the hammer very strong and suddenly it moved a bit. After turning a few rounds it came off but only with pressure! Then I saw the glue. The wheel hub cap was glued to the wheel rim too!!! Gently I removed the glue and suddenly it came apart. The wheel itself is attached to the break with simple Philips screws!!! See picture.
    I have ordered new screws today (cup nuts of course). The thread on this model seems to be metric threads. This is fine for me!

@ Geoff, thank you for your answer but here it was a bit more complicated I think. Look at the picture below.

But still I miss the mail address of HIGHWAY 61 !!
    Regards
    Wolfgang

Attached Images Attached Images HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale-dscn9112-jpg 
    Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Well Wolfgang,

that's the difference between collecting and modelling. One can put a pricey die-cast in the shelf and proudly present it to visitors, but for the minority of perfectionists, it's not enough.
    So.....make the model world a better place. I know, that any visitor will not notice the correct firing order of the Chevy Engine, but YOU know. That's what makes our weired hobby run.

Take up the challenge and turn the Corvette-duck to a swan

Cheers

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    Hi Michael, right, I’m a bit close to a perfectionist (not always…). If I built a model or buy a very expensive piece I would see as much as possible to the original. This is the reason I like the bigger scales the details are easier to make.

It will take some time until I find the time to disassemble the Corvette and start working on it. First I have to finish the SSKL! But I have started collecting any information about the 1957 car, especially the hardtop and the sun hood. For this I need more details, anybody out there for more detailed pictures????
    I would like to build both for the model. The first thing I would like to change are the wheels and the wheel rim. May be spoke wheels, I like these wheels I know it is not original but could look great.
    And believe it or not, I’m thinking about a new car body made of fibre glass like the original. I tell you if I were a few years younger I would make it!! I have made a dozen moulds for soaring planes in the past would be not the big problem, only time………
    Now, this is enough dreaming for the day.
    I wish all a happy day
    Regards
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hi Wolfgang,

a good source for research are the websites of parts dealers, like www.zip-corvette.com. Or just google '57 Corvette restoration.

Cheers

Michael
    Last edited by 3.Star; 09-08-10 at 06:24 AM. Reason: mistake
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    Hello dear Michael, this link is really great!!! I have found two others but this one, unbelievable! With drawings, I'm really excited! I think I need hours and hours to look at all these things.
    If I would like to built all what I have seen it will be a two year project.
    Again, thank you very much.
    I wish you a happy day.
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Dear Winglock,

I have this Corvette of HW61 too, and even if I agree to some extent with what you say, I also feel you could have checked before buying if the model met your personal requirements as they seem quite high. That the body is not made of fibreglass is very clear as it's a "diecast" model and should it have a fibreglass body, it would be widely advertised as such (why not having sent sent a mail to ask them?).

Many "reviews" are also written by people who are often "very enthusiastic" and one should be able to read between the lines and not take every written word too litterally. To me this model has only minor flaws, such as the colour of the doors which has a slightly different shade than the rest of the body, the silly antenna, even if telescopic, is indeed way too thick and the lack of functional things like headlights, brake lights etc. But it's the sheer size of this model which will always make it IMPRESSIVE! One can always argue about the quality of this or that part, but here I feel the ratio between price and quality is very good! The 1/12 scale Cadillac Roadster has a much better finish, but this VETTE is amazing if only by it's size and "présence" as the French say!

Bigger models will always be more expensive and the balance between price and quality on one side and the manufacturer's benefits on the other side is plagued by extra costs involved with larger models. There's no miracle here, putting a big model on the market for a "reasonable" price with considerations like less models per container, less models on shelf space, higher packaging costs per model, lesser quantities (that's why this particular model is limited to 2500 pieces, not merely for exclusivity, but because they probably will not reach higher sales) is not an easy thing to do.

I
    As for my Vette I'll try to bring some modifications too, such as working lights etc, but only if I can take it apart without problems and find proper solutions to the problems I'll encounter. I don't want to mess around with a pricey model like this!
    Last edited by FlaminiaSuperSport; 11-19-10 at 07:44 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. At the end of this video shows their contact info

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Joe Kelly states in this review that the changeable tires and usable jack were "ditched" during pre production. Pretty stupid if you ask me

800.00 for a car you cant even change the tires out???

Pass

The hood doesnt even look like it lined up correctly
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    Thank you for the link, this movie was the reason I bought the piece. But I overlooked the contact information. HW61 is from the ERTL group I noticed.
    You are right. This model car was much too high with the price. I have had no chance to look at it I bought it through the internet. I have disassembled the whole piece in the meantime and started making a lot of parts new. Most screws I will replace. During the disassembling process (took me more than three days), I noticed the plan at HW61 (ERTL) was to make a really nice car model. But then they noticed it is too difficult and too expensive and they started to make a lot of junk out of it. They used tons of hot HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale glue to put it together.
    When I have finished the model (could be take a year o so) I will send pictures from rebuilding (tuning) it. I don’t like the red colour so I will paint it black. Making a hard top and a movable soft top too.
    Regards
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #15