Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-03-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi, I’m looking for the address of „HIGHWAY 61“, I would like to write a letter to this manufacturer. Why, I tell you:
      A few days ago my new big toy arrived. It is the 1957 Corvette in the 1/6 scale. It is a really impressive and heavy model I tell you. But after unpacking and after a close inspection I was a bit disappointed. The model is far behind what I have expected. After I have seen the video at YouTube and some reviews I thought the model would be the top of the line. It is not! It is too much to write it down here. The finish is excellent. The fit of parts is nearly poor. The details are cheap. The car body should have made of fibre glass like the original and not die cast. And the best of all, I can’t figure out how to remove the wheels?????
      I have to ask the people at Highway 61 may be they know. Or somebody knows it here in the forum?
      The car was really expensive but I can’t give it back. So I’m planning to scale it up and rebuild the piece.
      But some of us are model builder, so I have some work for my old days……….
      I keep you informed if interested.
      With kind regards and thank you in advance
      Wolfgang

P.S.: in a few days I hope the Danbury Mint 1957 Corvette in black arrives here in Germany. I hope this model is a bit better. I hope I can use it as a sample for tuning the big toy. I found this model after long looking for it in Florida.

HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Wolfgang,

please don't wait with information about your progress until you have finished the Corvette. How about throwing some pieces to the waiting hungry crowd in the meantime? BTW your GTO and Uhlenhaut-Mercedes are looking great.Especially I like the plumbing HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. I am curious what you did windup paying for one. But I guess thats your business. Good luck Wolfgang.

Do look at the post of My Danbury Mint car I am trying to figure out with the top problem
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I don't remember if I brought this up somewhere but $800 balloons for that model isn't a lot of money when you compare it to much more highly detailed models. If you look up the prices of some of the similar size models at Fine Arts Models, your shoes would fly off. The Big Corvette turns out to be a real bargain and superdetailing it, although a healty challenge would rais the valu of the model several times. BTW, the most expensive model FAM has is a 1/5 scale 31 (I think) Mercedes. It goes for $34,500 greenbacks. I can get a new, fully loaded Honda minivan for that in 1:1 HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale scale.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. I can understand your point.

But if I paid that I would want the lights to work to, and looks of the reviews they dont even work either.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello again Wolfgang,

thank you for posting pics of the Corvette rip-off in the gallery. It doesn't seem to be this bad at all, and I'm quite sure, that you will turn it to a real masterpiece. The more I'm having a look at the model, the more I'd like to get one, too, but wifey is complaining about the space my models need in our flat and the hole in my pocket. So I'm afraid she has to move soon.

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Put it all in perspective guys......if you want a turn key display model....it is what it is, good, bad or ugly. It may not meet your personal expectations if this is your intent.

However, if you're looking at it as a knock 'em dead super detailed show piece starting point...that's a whole different ball game. Honestly, if I were to start from scratch to build a 1/6th Vette the ebay price is not bad at all considering that it would save me months or longer in work and research.

Guess it depends on what you want.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 01-18-11 at 02:36 PM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    Hello modeler friends, I worked the whole afternoon creating a new "member album", was a bit difficult. The album is named "Corvette 1957......". I made comments to each picture. The first step was making all the pictures smaller in its size and uploading them. In this step I made a new album for the Mercedes Benz SSKL too.

Question, should I put some of the pictures into this post here?
    With comments?
    Like this:

The tires which came with the model are not so good, very hard, and not flexible and they looked “plastic”. I have sent one as a template to a German model tire maker. What I got back are 5 absolute perfect pieces. And they are not as expensive as expected. Euro 30,00 for the piece.
    I’m planning to make spoke wheels for the car. Spoke wheels are a special order for the 57 Corvette.

But for today I stop posting, it is a bit late here in Germany, I have to feed my litte cats............
    Yes it is like: I kiss my cats and pet my wife........
    A nice day for all of you
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Mail: wolfgang@dell-knives.de
    Page: www.dell-knives.de
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Are your new ones more rubbery?
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Hi Wolfgang. Schlafen Sie gut.
    Can he make tyres for a Pocher RR K72 with white sides ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    @ Egon, yes these pieces are as they should be, light soft and rubbery. Really scale!
    Here the link to this firm:
    [URL="http://www.barnhausen.de"]
    I don't know if he is willing to send it to the USA, but of course he is abe to make it, or he has one in stock.
    Aber du sprichst Deutsch?? Danke ich habe gut geschlafen.
    If you need help let me know.
    Wolfgang

Last edited by winglock; 01-19-11 at 02:11 AM.
    Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    @ Don, when I bought the model I thought I put it on the shelf and look at it. But then it was not as I expected. So I collected a lot of detailed material about the 57Vette. I found hundreds of sites with perfect drawings of nearly all parts (except the soft top mechanics). This was the reason I planned to make the car model into my custom car…..
    And as I said before, I agree with you, this model saves 100th of hours work. It is a really good basis to work with.
    As far as I remember I paid Euro 700,- for it (my wife is killing me if they know this).
    I wish you a happy day
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. keramh's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Marek
    moin Wolfgang,

die Reifen sehen ja gut aus, kannst du uns mehr zu Deiner Quelle sagen?

hello Wolfgang,

The tyres look good, you can say to us more to your spring?

www.scale16.de.vu
    the modelkit databank for the scale 1/16
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    @ Marek, ein paar Zeilen weiter oben steht der Link zu Herrn Barnhausen. Absolut perfekt! Hat viele Reifen lagernd und kann auch fast jeden herstellen.

Sorry, I answered in German because it's a scale building friend from germany.
    I wish a nice day
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    By the way, as long as I’m online, I have a really urgent question (just kidding):
    I would like to make a hard top and a movable soft top for the Corvette.
    The hard top is not the problem I got all the needed scales.
    But the movable soft top is a bit a problem. I have found no drawings on which I can see the working technique (other than a nice video on Youtube from a working top). I would like to make the correct hardware.

@nascarnbroncosfans (I would like to know your real name please) I have seen your Danbury Mint Chevrolet model and there I have seen the soft top frame. Is it possible to make close up pictures of the movable parts?

At the time I bought the 1/6 scale Vette I also bought a Danbury Mint 1/12 1957 Corvette too (in black). I bought it at e-bay classifieds of the Tampa area. I paid US $ 350,00 for it. And the guy (Joe Struzzeri of Wesley Chapel,FL) fooled me and my US friend who managed the deal. In the meantime he is in jail, but no model and no money at this time. We reported this to the Pasco Sheriff department. Now I’m waiting…………….
    This 1/12 scale model was showing a perfect looking movable top which I was planning to copy! So s.. happens.

It was the first time somebody fooled me, I buy since 1968 antique guns and other staff in the USA and never ad any problems, but: it’S ALWAYS THE FIRST TIME:
    I would appreciate any help.
    Regards
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Danke Wolfgang, Ich sprichst Deutsch mit Google translate aber ist ein Däne/Danish, and not the pastry, in Copenhagen, home of the famous ¨Olsenbanden¨ and have the same first name.
    Egon.
    Attached Images Attached Images HIGHWAY 61 Corvette 1:6 scale-box-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #31