Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-17-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Got tired of waiting for Deuce parts before continuing Deuce activity so started on an AMT AMT 1957 Corvette 283 Small Block engine 1/6 engine kit. Much more fun than the Pocher Alfa engine. Crank shaft is solid one piece. Pistons fit well, notice valve and valve springs that actually work. Really a fun build. Unfortunately all the great detail is buried once the model is done but the build is still a lot of fun.

Are the other 1/6 scale engine kits this much interior detail???

AMT 1957 Corvette 283 Small Block engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Syd, I can show you how to work with the clear plastic if you need the help. A see through model will be a unique build.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    It's been a while since anything got posted in this thread.. I just might get started on my build of the AMT AMT 1957 Corvette 283 Small Block engine '57 Fuelie motor this weekend afte I do some Spring clean up. I'll try and post ome pics as I go along... Wish me luck on the build!!
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Does anyone make photo-etched parts for the 1:6 diecast block engines?
    QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I don't know of any....give it a try with one of those mini hobby kits on the market. I gave one a try only to realize that it was limited on the materials needed without buying in bulk and that would require bigger tanks, so on and so on, just too much hassle dealing with the chemicals etc. for my needs. I bounce from one thing to another and lose track of etching times etc. Sounds like a personal problem, huh?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Check this out guys!! I might have posted this one before.... And lost it. Here it is again, thanks Slingshot for the e-mail!! Moyer Made - Projects: 1/6th Scale Chevrolet V8 Check the links page for even more pics.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. Toner283's Avatar Member
    Name
    Chris
    For some of the guys who might be confused, there are 2 different 1/6 scale engines. The die cast ones currently available from the likes of wal mart are good but lack the internal detail of the plastic kit being discussed. the plastic kits have full internal parts same as a 1/1 AMT 1957 Corvette 283 Small Block engine engine. there were 2 put out as mentioned, a regular kit with 3-4 different colors of plastic & a clear kit where you could see all of the parts. IIRC there are some photoetched AMT 1957 Corvette 283 Small Block engine parts included with the kits as well. I have both versions opened & when I figure out where my wife hid the camera I will post some pics of the kits & the parts.

Oh & some one wished that they would make a 1/8 engine kit. They did. Monogram issues a several versions in one kit in the mid 60's (64 i think). it is not too hard to find, type in monogram engine in the ebay search box & one will likely pop up, check the completed listings as well. Here is a scan of the instructions. There was also a battery powered motor available to motorize the 1/8 engine.

Last edited by Toner283; 04-09-09 at 07:41 PM. Reason: fat fingers bad spelling
    QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh wow!!! I haven't seen that paper in 45 years. I wanted one of those but my LHS AMT 1957 Corvette 283 Small Block engine never had one. Thanks Toner for posting that. It really took me back. I'm saving those beauties in my pictures.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. Toner283's Avatar Member
    Name
    Chris
    Here are some pics of the kit & the contents of the regular engine. Please note that these parts are NOT for the instructions I posted above. This is a 1/6 scale kit only out of production a few years & still pretty easy to find. The other is a 1/8 scale & was issued in the mid sixties & never reissued.

Last edited by Toner283; 04-09-09 at 11:32 PM.
    Don't worry, I've done this a lot, nothing bad ever happens...
    QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. Toner283's Avatar Member
    Name
    Chris
    They would not all fit in one post. Here are the rest. I will try to post pics of the transparent engine tomorrow night. As you can see these are super detailed. too bad all of this detail is hidden in the block in the regular kit. But it opens up the possibilities of a diorama of the engine 1/2 assembled/disassembled or a cutaway block like the engines in the manufacturers displays at the auto show. Pretty cool piece.

Rubber Parts!
    Don't worry, I've done this a lot, nothing bad ever happens...
    QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Looks like a great kit. There's lots of potential there for a really detailed build. Thanks for posting the pics. Now I have to go and drool over it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    When I get mine assembled, I'm gonna make sure the valve lash is adjusted to .005" on the intake and exhaust. This is to simulate the Duntov .030"-.030" solid lifter camshaft valve lash adjustment. These motors sound so sweet @ about 6800 RPM.
    Last edited by Deuces-wild; 04-11-09 at 09:37 AM.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #72