-->
Close

Builder Last Online: Mar 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-02-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I finished this Jaguar in 2007, I know it is a long time ago, but I still would like to share it with you guys.
      Something that always bothered me on my first 1/8 Jaguar was that awful panelline on the rear panel and underneath the a-pillar. I was determined to get rid of it and I found a way to work with it. The detail is not so great, but I still consider myself as a starter, so hopefully my next E-type will look better.

Show More

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
  1. Hi Erik,

Found your way to SMC, right?

A starter? Sure. You are joking, right?

Tell the guys how you got rid of the panel lines!

Edit: Ah, see you have made a nice tutorial: http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...anellines.html
    Last edited by Herman; 02-02-10 at 03:15 PM.
    http://www.bugattibuilder.com
    http://www.bugattiregister.com
    http://www.stolenclassiccarregister.com - Subscribe now and receive notifications when a classic is stolen!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Jeffrey
    As far as I can see, that's one great Jag. Thanks again for the tutorial. As I stated in the tut forum, this has been the greatest dilemma when it comes to that kit. Thanks for the solution.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. G'day guys, I was reading the posts about 1/8 Jags and thought I'd chuck in my two cents worth.
    I'm not in your league but someone might find my bits useful.
    OK in pics 1,2 and 3 I've joined the two door hinge halves together then cut them in half vertically, and attatched the door half to the door, then cut small bits of sheet stock to make an overlap to cover both halves and glued to the body half of the hinge. I do this for a cuople of reasons, first I find it easier to do the painting, especially the final coat and polishing with the doors off, plus it gives me better access to the interior to finish up any details. In pic 3 you can see the hinge in the body ready to go and also you can see that I've wrapped the corner in thin sheet stock to make that area tidier and make the hinge slots smaller and neater. Also next to that (green circle) you can see where I've added a largish footing to give the body more strength when comes time to glue the body halves together, I've also done the same thing at the other join at the rear of the door frame. Obviuosly you can see that I've painted the car while in bits which I personally find easier, then when I join the two halfs together I've only got the joins to do, by feathering the painting of the join area, and of course fit the doors. In pics 4,5,6,7,and 8 you can see where I've been sanding , filling and more sanding then masking ready for painting, this is where having the doors off is good (for me at least) because of all the sanding etc on either side of the door opening. So finally in pics 9,10 and 11 you can see it's comming together.
    The other "little" things I thought I would share are the silvery coloured bag under the car, this is a little bag filled with bean bag beans and I find it brilliant for holding the model or large parts on any angle surprisingly steady and of course no damage. The other bag, (blue) is a bag of (I believe) wheat grains, these are usually heated in the microwave and layed on, like a sore neck, but are also great for holding models to work on, just don't let the war office find out, they tend to get a bit dark when things around the house go missing, like oh I don't know the missing hair dryer for example. The last bag I've (aquired) found really useful is another heat up job but this one is full of some type of fine sand thus very heavy. Now to the last, I've arrowed in one of the pics, this is the base of an old tupperware spice carousel, but it is very low, quite stable and of course spins, very handy, I also use a "ceramics" wheel which is higher, about 3" high and very strong and turns beautifully, but only until she finds out where it's gone.
    Well I hope someone gets some use out of this lot and in the future I'll have to find out how to write on the pics, enjoy. Oh, this Jag No 3 of 6 that I'm currently building.
    Michael (WOOF), worn out old fart.
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Living the life on the left coast of the big island down under.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Thanks guys, I hope the tutorial I made is helpful, it does make the E-type so much more realistic.

@Herman, I've been looking over the forum for a few years now, but never really posted anything. And yes, I still consider myself a starter, I make too much mistakes to call myself good in any way. I still need to learn quite a lot.

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey olijnsma, just remember this. Many of us that you may consider master builders make tons of mistakes before we find something postworthy. There are a lot of things behind the scenes that go on that no one ever knows about. Heck, last month I even glued my fingers together and my reject drawer is overflowing with stuff that just didn't work out. And I keep adding to it. We all need to learn more and gladly seek that knowledge. Half the fun of this great hobby is learning something new all the time. In fact, the prospect of finding new techniques gives me something to look forward to each time I log on to the site. We all learn from each other and gladly share what we've discovered. That's what's so great about this site. There are no trade secrets and no hierarchy whatsoever. We're all equal. You never need to feel like you're not up to anyone's standard. I think you're doing great work. :)':)':)'
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. strevo's Avatar Avid Member
    Name
    Steve
    olijnsma, being an expert or master doesn't mean they don't make mistakes, it just means they don't give up until something comes out right!
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Thank me for the link, but thank Erik (Olijnsma) for doing all the hard work!
    http://www.bugattibuilder.com
    http://www.bugattiregister.com
    http://www.stolenclassiccarregister.com - Subscribe now and receive notifications when a classic is stolen!
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hHehe thanks Herman, but it wasn't all that much hard work. Just taking a distance and overthink it for a while. And appearantly it worked out just fine.
    Just glad to help out the fellow builder ;-)

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. le3harris's Avatar New Guy
    Name
    Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by bpeterson View Post
    This is a great tutorial about "Cracking the code of jaguar parts: getting rid of the XKE panellines". Thanks again!
    I am also thanking that guy who posted this tutorial. Thanks a lot dude! Go Jaguar!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10