-->
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. hot ford coupe's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Today is a momentous day. I got my delivery of Model Building with Brass by Ken Foran this morning and have had some time to look it over. For all those wondering about the book, I'll write a little review of it so you can get an idea about what it contains.

First of all, I need to say that if you read this book and follow what's set down, you'll literally be able to build anything you can imagine out of brass. Now, Ken has already stated that you won't be seeing how to form complicated bodies and fenders but you can easily get that information from other sources like Gerald Wingrove's fantastic books. This text goes into detail how to handle brass and make it do what you want it to do. He describes the tools necessary which are not complicated and except for maybe a lathe are not expensive at all. He describes excellent methods for putting things together so they are easy to stabilize and stay strong so your models won't be too fragile. I won't get too wordy here. All I'll say is that the book is well worth the time spent reading it and worth many times more than what you'll pay for it. Highly recommended required reading. Thanks Ken for making this possible.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth

HFC, Thank you for your kind review. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the book. It is gratifying to see others now taking on brass as a medium for various types of builds. Like any learned skill one only gets better with understanding and practice.

Thanks Again!!!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. I just ordered mine about 5 minutes ago. I tried to order a couple of days ago, but the site got stuck on the shipping page and I couldn't go any further. Tried today and SHAZAM! it went through.

Looking forward to receiving it.

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    I'll try and order the book soon, since I want to start working with brass. I use steel and tin (well recently got some Zinc), but the small pieces of brass I have used are great!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    Ken, I will probably order it from UK, since its cheaper, and I have some free coupons for amazon UK.

Thanks, JP
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You'll definitely enjoy this book, Jonathan. One thing I should have mentioned in my review is that there are many other books out that show you what can be done. The difference betwen this book and those is that Ken's book not only shows what can be done but how it's done and in very clear terms. Even though there is only one model that is built, with careful thought, you can apply each technique to a number of different situations and get the result you want. This book has been needed for a long time.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    I saw how detailed his posts about the T racer were, so I can imagine how good the book is!
    I have Gerald Wingroves 1st book, which is great.

My brother may order the book with me, splitting the cost.

JP
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Daniel's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Daniel
    I received my copy of Kens Book today, and have one word for it “Wow”!

I have only had time to flick through it and found it very impressive indeed. The layout of the book is great and the good choice of type face makes it easy to read. Throughout the book the photography is excellent, and shows just how brilliant Kens work is. I look forward to reading this book over the weekend. Great work Ken and thankyou for sharing in detail the tricks to working with brass, you have inspired the little kid in me.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    My copy arrived yesterday, it is certainly packed with really good pictures and text that explain the processes clearly. Thank you for writing it.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. I got my book today and all I can say is WOW! Very high quality work. The pages are heavy glossy paper. Well laid out and easy to read. It also covered some of his other models, so it is not just a rehash of the build in SMC. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Now, Ken has already stated that you won't be seeing how to form complicated bodies and fenders but you can easily get that information from other sources like Gerald Wingrove's fantastic books.
    That should be in Model Building with Brass II, right Ken?

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth

Mike,

You, several others and even the publisher are asking that...or at least a more advanced techniques one.
    Let's see how this first book does.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Ton's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Ton
    An excellent book Ken, very well written, high quality and excellent pictures. A book for the coffee table!
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. DominiqueBeerts's Avatar Avid Belgian
    Name
    Dominique
    I just got my copy in the mail today. It's a very informative, clear explanations and great pictures.
    That will be fun reading!
    Already looking forward to it's successor.
    Best regards,
    Dominique.

Feel free to browse through my photo albums
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth

Thank you all for your support and kind words. Today I received this from Marvin Meit of Model Motor Cars and it means a great deal to me coming from him. All you Pocher builders should visit his site. Model Motorcars; high quality after maket accessories for Pocher kits, Books, Tools and CDs

I've been building models for over 65 years and co-founded Model
    Motorcars 21 years ago. That should make me somewhat of an expert! Reading Ken
    Foran's new book "Model Building with Brass" was a pure joy! He has
    captured the art and craftsmanship of model building in word and
    photograph...and what photos! 320 of them.
    The book is written with such clarity that even the novice builder
    will understand. Ken takes you through the process of building some
    brass components of his beautiful 1911 Model T Racer...and, it's a great ride!
    However, before the ride, he explains the different materials, tools and techniques he will use.
    What I found most interesting is many of these techniques could be
    applied to plastic model building as well.
    Ken Foran's 'Model Building with Brass' will be equally at home in
    your workshop or on your coffee table.

Marvin Meit

Thank you! Marvin

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #15