-->
Close

Builder Last Online: Jul 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-24-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi! guys,

I've decided on my next build, a 1/16 scale rear engine dragster from the early 70's, Kuhl & Olson "Da Revell Fast Guys".

It's funny how carma, intentional misspelling, works. I chose this particular kit because it's the only back-motored digger kit I have. Thought it would be good for a second in a long time build. I'm lookin' at it, thinkin' I don't remember buyin' this kit. I open it and find another surprise. It's been started. The driver figure is assembled and painted, the seat and harnesses are assembled, and the frame halves are assembled. What the...?! I open the instructions and there's the decal sheet. Flippin' through the directions, I find notes written... in my Dad's hand! Man-Oh-Man the tears start flowin'. This kit was started by my Dad! He only ever had two large scale kits, this one and the Jeb Allen car, which he completed. WOW! I'm blown away!

If you haven't figured it out yet... my Dad, my best friend, is passed away. He was THE consumate "car guy". He also built models, 1/25 cars, 1/72 WWII aircraft, and HO steam era trains. He sold his large, about 750 kits he had been collecting since the 50's, model car collection to fund his 1:1 race car. He kept a few kits. I have them now. I figured out that he had kept kits and completes of 1:1 cars he had owned. They are all 1/25 scale. My intent is to restore and build what he saved.

Sorry for the short story to announce my current build. Thanks for lettin' me ramble and reminisce a bit. I'll get some pics up so you can see it's current state. I'll have questions I know you all will help me with. I'm now REALLY lookin' forward to this build. Gotta' do my "Pops" proud... He's watchin' me!

Have A Great Day!!! I am!!!
      Show More

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
  1. Mr.Tin's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Martin
    That's a nice thing to do, Keith.
    Ask away if you need any help. 1/16th is a woefully underrated scale.

Martin
    A man needs a plan...and a shed
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's a great story and a very significant model for you. Unfortunately, my father who is also gone never built a model kit in his life and my son hates building. Believe it or not, it was my mother who taught me how to build models, at least in the beginning. This site taught me all the rest. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tin View Post
    That's a nice thing to do, Keith.
    Ask away if you need any help. 1/16th is a woefully underrated scale.

Martin
    Martin, I just did a post about the SMC "strut your stuff" contest / show (in the Events section).
    Anyway, I opened the eligibility up to include 1/16th just for guys.........how 'bout them apples?
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Well, here's a small update.

I wanted to show you guys what I found when I open the kit.

Looks like some anodizing was attempted. Not successfully on that floor pan.

This is the assembled, painted seat, with adjusters and clasp. Sorry, the pic is not the best.

I love this one! This is one of my Dad's little notes. He corrected a mistake on the instruction sheet. Couldn't have one silver cyl. head and one black cyl. head.

Any suggestions on how to simulate annodizing? There's lots of red annodized bits on this car.

I want to smooth all the mold lines on the frame and paint it, but Revell wants the roll cage area left unglued to accommodate seat installation and then glue the cage halves together after the seat is installed. This would make glue line removal and frame painting difficult. Any suggestions?

All comments and suggestions are welcome, please!

Have A Great Day!

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Keith. Here's how I saw it done once although I'm not sure how the result will turn out. If you use something like Model Masters buffing metalizer , particularly the aluminum color, you can spray the part, buff it out well and use a flair tip red pen over the top. If the flair tip ink beads up on the aluminum finish, try a red Sharpie. First, I would test this out on a piece of scrap.

As for the second problem, I would first paint the seat completely and let the paint dry really well. Then, I would remove all the mold lines you can before you glue the pieces together. Third, I would cover the seat with whatever kind of masking material you have including tape and a liquid mask . Then glue up the frame and clean the whole thing up the way you want to. Use whatever putty material you can work with and smooth out the glue joints. Since I use a liquid glue, I can get a bead of excess plastic after I've applied sufficient glue on the gluing surfaces to soften the joining surfaces and then squeeze it together, let harden completely (about 24 hours), remove the bead and polish it up before you paint. Once you have the frame done, you can remove the masking material and voila! you're done. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any trouble. I'm sure that there will be more suggestions that will follow mine. Then you'll have a choice of methods.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. comp1839's Avatar Avid Member
    Name
    david
    quite a story, keith. i wish you all the best at this build! i'm sure it will be your favorite no matter how it turns out.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Tage's Avatar Esteemed Member
    Name
    Daniel
    I wish we could view your photos.
    Try posting them here.
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hartley View Post
    Well, here's a small update...
    hello,

if one is regarded the pictures it really a small update, a very small, I can nothing anyhow recognize.

www.scale16.de.vu
    the modelkit databank for the scale 1/16
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Tage and keramh - Try clicking on the pictures. I just did and it worked fine. Thanks for lookin'!

Have A Great Day!

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. brucrt101's Avatar New Guy
    Name
    Bruce
    Hey Keith your buddy Bruce here, Finally sorted out the stuff to get in here. Wow cannot believe Reminiscing over the past.Your Dad was the first one to take me down the 1320.I will never forget that.He is the car guy. This kit is way too cool. Your dads watching and you will do him proud!Cannot wait to see it done. Be talking to you soon, Your bud Bruce
    QUOTE QUOTE #11