Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-10-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Build in Progress

"Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it." My mother used to say that and it has now become reality (once again). I was searching for a Jag body to possibly fit to my RC, but didn't want to do any alteration to an intact body. They are hard to get and tend to run out of my price range on eBay. Well this carcass showed up and the price was right, but it was in rougher shape than I imagined. Aside from the whole hood and nose being cracked in two, the roof was cracked and the floor pan too. Lots of parts are missing too, but the basic body shell has all the pieces. I separated the floorpan and firewall, and started figuring where I will alter it. My vision for this is as a speedster and i will use the roof as part of the back deck. For now it will sit while I finish up the Corvette GSR. I have lots of things to work through before I move forward. Suggestions welcome. Shots attached.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-junk-pile-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-hood-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-roof-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-project-floor-pan-jpg

Here's the reconstituted shell.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-jpg

Here's the direction I want to go in.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-5-jpg

Mine will have a 1 inch shorter wheelbase and I am mulling over how to cover my wider track. I'd prefer not to do flares like the GSR project, but rather widen the body in more subtle ways. That will sort it self out in time Lord willing.

Ciao!

P.S. Included in the heap of parts, was the back end of a T-Bucket which has a side cracked off of it. Message me if interested.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap

Build Photos

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-1-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I've had a rather busy teaching semester and not had much time to work on this, but I grabbed a bit of time here and there I finished the driver. Guillermo Del Torso is now Armand Chester. I had to cut both him and the seat in half for proper clearance with the new chassis. I also figured out a solution for his hands using a glove cut out in aluminum flashing, painted black and then layered with sticky craft foam. The flashing helps the hands keep their grip and the sticky foam sticks to a painted surface better than bare aluminum. I was using nylon ribbon for seat belts but needed something more sturdy. The closure strips for coffee bags proved to be just the thing.

In addition, I fabricated disc brakes and installed them. I have a license plate mocked up but not installed yet and need to do some finishing work on the windshield but I and close to calling this done. It is lots of fun to drive and I will post a better video than what I shared previously when I get some time off.

My mocked up license, a dedication to Norman Dewis, the test driver on so many of Jaguar's most spectacular cars who passed recently.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-4-dewis-2-jpg

Armand in his office.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2947-jpg

The sun is going down on this build soon!
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2945-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 10-19-19 at 07:54 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice!
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Thanks Roger!

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #64