Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-10-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Build in Progress

"Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it." My mother used to say that and it has now become reality (once again). I was searching for a Jag body to possibly fit to my RC, but didn't want to do any alteration to an intact body. They are hard to get and tend to run out of my price range on eBay. Well this carcass showed up and the price was right, but it was in rougher shape than I imagined. Aside from the whole hood and nose being cracked in two, the roof was cracked and the floor pan too. Lots of parts are missing too, but the basic body shell has all the pieces. I separated the floorpan and firewall, and started figuring where I will alter it. My vision for this is as a speedster and i will use the roof as part of the back deck. For now it will sit while I finish up the Corvette GSR. I have lots of things to work through before I move forward. Suggestions welcome. Shots attached.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-junk-pile-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-hood-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-roof-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-project-floor-pan-jpg

Here's the reconstituted shell.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-jpg

Here's the direction I want to go in.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-5-jpg

Mine will have a 1 inch shorter wheelbase and I am mulling over how to cover my wider track. I'd prefer not to do flares like the GSR project, but rather widen the body in more subtle ways. That will sort it self out in time Lord willing.

Ciao!

P.S. Included in the heap of parts, was the back end of a T-Bucket which has a side cracked off of it. Message me if interested.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap

Build Photos

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-1-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Did some painting of various bits with a Satin white. Everything gray save for the interior will be British Racing Green. I wish I could get it done faster but there is a great deal of touching up and sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap to do on the parts that will be green and one other bit where the grill inlet is. I still haven't figured out exactly what I and doing there. Here's some shots. I'm off to other things for a bit, but happy to have gotten this far this week.

The side will have number circles on the doors and one on the hood.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2033-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2034-jpg

I am doing black on the back end uprights and underside of the spoiler. I was going to do black rear and front spoilers but like the white better.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2035-jpg

That's it for a while.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I've made slow progress and there are still lots of refinements to do. I've painted my star 5 spoke wheels and put them back on the car. I made a fuel cap out of a plastic screw head cover and made a hinge for it that sits under the grommet top edge. I use grommets to hold the body in place as they fit snug on the mounts but I don't have to have the usual RC cotter pins showing. With the fuel cap I can flip it up to see and align it with the back body mount nubs, both of which are on a swinging brace to accommodate the slightly different mounting holes on my other bodies. I close it down and we're ready to roll.

Other work included enlarging the holes where the side pipes emerge from two circular holes into on oval shaped hole. This allowed me to snug the pipes up a little tighter on the body and helped with clearance.

I also made a new rear diffuser out of sheet aluminum. The chassis had one built into it and I thought it was rather cheesy looking so I cut it off. I will have to make similar diffusers for all my other bodies eventually and I do intend to scrap this chassis and build a better one. Again, not very sophisticated engineering, but I'm enjoying the learning process and hope the outcome will be presentable.

The fuel cap (still needs some tweaking)
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2258-jpg

The newly painted wheels.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2260-jpg

The new rear diffuser
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2281-jpg

The side view w the new rear diffuser.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2285-jpg

The Jag w my previous (and not entirely finished) Vette build.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2287-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I finally worked out what I wanted to do with the grill/intake and fabricated the pieces for it. I built a radiator of scrap aluminum rectangular tubing from the interior cross braces of an old double pane aluminum window I replaced. It got broken when I left if out for trash pick up so I cleaned up the mess and scavenged the braces. Some craft mesh for making masks was triple layered for the radiator core. The fans were fabricated from bolt caps with wire run through them to glue the blades in place. The outer shroud of the fan was made from a cross section of an old pill bottle. Shot it with black paint and attached it to the radiator which I painted silver before inserting the core. The rest was just a big piece of folded aluminum sheet and some oval tubes attached on the outside for engine air intakes. I am nearing the end of fabrication so I can start thinking about painting but will have to do a fair amount of sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap .

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2335-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2336-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2344-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2484-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2486-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2487-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Attached Images Attached Images Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2287-jpg 
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 09-05-18 at 07:04 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

4. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    So I came to the conclusion a while back that an open cockpit car needs a driver and since my vehicle is a weird size I figured I would have to make one entirely from scratch. Actually I had planned to make one for the vette but was at a loss how to make the helmet the right size. I looked at ping pong balls, plastic eggs, etc. and couldn't find anything to start me off. Went out one Saturday with the Misses and came across these helmets in a "antiques and collectables" shop and took a picture. They were kind of expensive in the shop but I found them on eBay for cheap and ended up with a set of 3 of them. They are Nascar helmets so I might ditch some of the sponsor logos, especially Alltel (since they were such a lousy phone company when I had their service). Each helmet comes with a suction cup stand with a droid looking top to hold the helmet. Now how to make a body and arms only since I haven't got enough space for a full seat and legs? The arms are made from a foam formable hair curling stick with a wire in it to keep it's shape. We had a few around the house. I used a pink one since it was a better thickness (the purple would work for legs if I needed them). I made a sort of two piece breast plate for the abdomen and seat out of paper to get a sense of size and placement, formed similar but more refined out of aluminum and then got some red nylon ribbon for the seat harness and wah lah! Introducing Guillermo Del Torso! I formed a hand out of sticky foam just to see how it worked and will cover the torso with similar once I figure out the shape of the suit. I will then cover it with wood glue to seal it and create a hard paintable surface, similar to what I did with my Vette fender flares. Lots more to do including a dash and a steering wheel which is a plumbing Jaguar XK Junk Heap O ring for test purposes. I have a steering wheel from an old Bratz doll car that will be the one I use. Here's some shots.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2490-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2491-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2495-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2506-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2505-jpg

Still trying to figure out what I will do make the 5 point buckle. I've collected pics and am trying to figure out the easiest to make. It's basically cut, drill and small files to work with. No milling machines, no 3D print - just trial and error - making it up as I go along.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 09-05-18 at 07:17 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #50

5. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Hard to believe it was December of 2014 when I first posted about this thing. This is nowhere near as involved as some of the scratch building going on here. I ought to have this thing done by now! Still working on the driver and also fabricated a mock up dash and steering wheel. I tried sticky foam to cover the torso and was not satisfied. My next material was gaffer's tape, a tape with very good adhesion and a canvas-like fabric covering used in theatrical and live performance to tape down cables and such. It's designed to be removable and leave no residue. It comes in black, red, white, and florescent colors. It doesn't have all the stringy-ness of duct tape and isn't messy when it comes to wrinkles and such. I used black. I cut it like a fabric and layed it on the metal torso shell and then outlined the edges with a white fine line paint pen where I wanted to show the piping Jaguar XK Junk Heap of the suit. I am reasonably pleased with the result. I am going to paint the foam covered arms white and thinking about using white latex house paint (have a fair amount of it handy) because it will cover pretty well and has some flexibility once dry (although I do not intend to move the arms at all - once he's finally installed that's it). (Input on that paint choice appreciated) I will do some striping on the sleeves with a blue paint pen to match the color scheme of the helmet. I am going to cover all logos on the helmet except the Mobil 1 logo. Anyway, here's the latest shots of Guillermo Del Torso in his new driving suit.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2519-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2520-jpg

By the way, the canvas texture of Gaffers tape has spawned an idea for a rag top on a future build. My roll is 2" width but it can be had in a 4" width as well. The only downside is a roll is expensive ($25 USD per roll for the 2" and about $30 for the 4") but the rolls are large and you will likely find around the house uses for it too.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 09-13-18 at 11:56 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

6. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Did some finish up on my driver a.k.a. Guillermo Del Torso (He's more like got with in 80% of finished) and decided to create a dash. Materials include sheet aluminum, embossed aluminum lids from cans of nuts, the old center gauge and switch panel from the original Monogram Jag dash, and some sticky foam for the trim edge. The hands of the driver are created using a sticky foam glove with wrist band wrapped around a plastic tube that fits on the wire ends of the driver's arms. The dash and steering wheel get installed as one unit and the driver gets fit in while sticking the hands onto the wire ends. The steering wheel has a long screw with a spring from a ball point pen to push it outward, but it allows for the wheel to tilt as needed to connect to the driver's arms on install. the bezels are from caps from IV Drugs bottles. My wife is a nurse and the caps come home in her pockets and end up in the clothes dryer. The gauge faces are from a doll car. It's not super detailed but it works for my purposes. Some pictures.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2527-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2528-jpg

Aluminum nut lids.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2530-jpg

A crude rendering of a dashboard.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2533-jpg

Installed and ready for a drive.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2534-jpg

More to do, but I inch closer to being able disassemble and put the BRG on it.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #52