Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-10-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Build in Progress

"Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it." My mother used to say that and it has now become reality (once again). I was searching for a Jag body to possibly fit to my RC, but didn't want to do any alteration to an intact body. They are hard to get and tend to run out of my price range on eBay. Well this carcass showed up and the price was right, but it was in rougher shape than I imagined. Aside from the whole hood and nose being cracked in two, the roof was cracked and the floor pan too. Lots of parts are missing too, but the basic body shell has all the pieces. I separated the floorpan and firewall, and started figuring where I will alter it. My vision for this is as a speedster and i will use the roof as part of the back deck. For now it will sit while I finish up the Corvette GSR. I have lots of things to work through before I move forward. Suggestions welcome. Shots attached.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-junk-pile-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-hood-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-roof-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-project-floor-pan-jpg

Here's the reconstituted shell.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-jpg

Here's the direction I want to go in.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-5-jpg

Mine will have a 1 inch shorter wheelbase and I am mulling over how to cover my wider track. I'd prefer not to do flares like the GSR project, but rather widen the body in more subtle ways. That will sort it self out in time Lord willing.

Ciao!

P.S. Included in the heap of parts, was the back end of a T-Bucket which has a side cracked off of it. Message me if interested.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap

Build Photos

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-1-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Did some painting of various bits with a Satin white. Everything gray save for the interior will be British Racing Green. I wish I could get it done faster but there is a great deal of touching up and sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap to do on the parts that will be green and one other bit where the grill inlet is. I still haven't figured out exactly what I and doing there. Here's some shots. I'm off to other things for a bit, but happy to have gotten this far this week.

The side will have number circles on the doors and one on the hood.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2033-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2034-jpg

I am doing black on the back end uprights and underside of the spoiler. I was going to do black rear and front spoilers but like the white better.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2035-jpg

That's it for a while.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I've made slow progress and there are still lots of refinements to do. I've painted my star 5 spoke wheels and put them back on the car. I made a fuel cap out of a plastic screw head cover and made a hinge for it that sits under the grommet top edge. I use grommets to hold the body in place as they fit snug on the mounts but I don't have to have the usual RC cotter pins showing. With the fuel cap I can flip it up to see and align it with the back body mount nubs, both of which are on a swinging brace to accommodate the slightly different mounting holes on my other bodies. I close it down and we're ready to roll.

Other work included enlarging the holes where the side pipes emerge from two circular holes into on oval shaped hole. This allowed me to snug the pipes up a little tighter on the body and helped with clearance.

I also made a new rear diffuser out of sheet aluminum. The chassis had one built into it and I thought it was rather cheesy looking so I cut it off. I will have to make similar diffusers for all my other bodies eventually and I do intend to scrap this chassis and build a better one. Again, not very sophisticated engineering, but I'm enjoying the learning process and hope the outcome will be presentable.

The fuel cap (still needs some tweaking)
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2258-jpg

The newly painted wheels.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2260-jpg

The new rear diffuser
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2281-jpg

The side view w the new rear diffuser.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2285-jpg

The Jag w my previous (and not entirely finished) Vette build.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_2287-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #48