Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      Builder Last Online: May 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-10-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Build in Progress

"Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it." My mother used to say that and it has now become reality (once again). I was searching for a Jag body to possibly fit to my RC, but didn't want to do any alteration to an intact body. They are hard to get and tend to run out of my price range on eBay. Well this carcass showed up and the price was right, but it was in rougher shape than I imagined. Aside from the whole hood and nose being cracked in two, the roof was cracked and the floor pan too. Lots of parts are missing too, but the basic body shell has all the pieces. I separated the floorpan and firewall, and started figuring where I will alter it. My vision for this is as a speedster and i will use the roof as part of the back deck. For now it will sit while I finish up the Corvette GSR. I have lots of things to work through before I move forward. Suggestions welcome. Shots attached.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-junk-pile-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-hood-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-roof-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-project-floor-pan-jpg

Here's the reconstituted shell.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-jpg

Here's the direction I want to go in.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-5-jpg

Mine will have a 1 inch shorter wheelbase and I am mulling over how to cover my wider track. I'd prefer not to do flares like the GSR project, but rather widen the body in more subtle ways. That will sort it self out in time Lord willing.

Ciao!

P.S. Included in the heap of parts, was the back end of a T-Bucket which has a side cracked off of it. Message me if interested.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap

Build Photos

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-1-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I know my XK Junk Heap is not much compared to some of the more refined work going on here, but I figure I'll pursue it to the end and learn what I can from you folks. Inspiration is helpful especially about now when I'm getting tired of waiting on this thing to be finished! Here's the latest.

Time for working on this has been very limited so I throw on some putty Jaguar XK Junk Heap for a few minutes and come back later in the day to sand Jaguar XK Junk Heap , then fill again as needed. I worked on bonding the aluminum top of the body to the plastic - It was already screwed into some plastic tabs I "welded" in as it were with MEK. I then removed the screws and used a reaming tool and hand truned the holes to counter sink some screws in. They still stick up a little but it's about as good as it is going to get. Then I went underneath and used a few pieces of fabric ice hockey tape which is light weight and I covered it with epoxy Jaguar XK Junk Heap more or less "fiber" reinforcing it. (Thanks to Two Kids No Sleep for that tip). I filled cracks, screw holes and sanded in the hopes I could primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap the thing, but the weather has been cold and wet and I have no heated space to paint. I also evened out the grill in front and evened out the back. I'm back with the original spoiler in back but with less pitch to it. It's just as well that the weather has been unsuitable as I've had some projects for my work to tackle and I really cannot get to absorbed in this thing right now much as I am having fun getting it to the point of painting. That will tell me a lot about places I need to fill and smooth again. I'm hoping the weather dries up and warms up enough to get a coat of primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap on it but that will depend on openings in my schedule coinciding with the weather. School starts up again next week and I have some busy weekends coming up too. Anyhow, here's some shots - slow progress this.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1767-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1768-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1769-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1770-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    The weather warmed up so I went for it and shot a coat of primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap . I'm both encouraged and discouraged. It's good to see it one color, but there's nothing like a coat of paint to expose how much more body work you have to do to be ready for top coating. I can run my hands over the whole thing and think it's pretty smooth and the paint says otherwise. Nonetheless, it was a step forward - a little bit anyway. I made a new headrest detail which still needs lots of finishing but it's more to my liking than what I've had before. I need to remove the screws, fill and put the front on it as well as figure out how it will be attached.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1774-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1775-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1776-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1777-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Lots of sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap , more filling, and reworking a few spots including the rear end. The weather warmed up enough to spray another coat of primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap and here's where we are at. The primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap shows me what needs more work and this time around it looks pretty good. There are a few more spots and then it will be more primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap and wet sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap . I am eager to finish coat it! I wish there wasn't so much left to sort out. Rear and front spoilers need to be worked out, the tail light mounting needs to be figured out more thoroughly and some other details so I've got a good while before I can do the British Racing Green on it.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1780-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1781-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1782-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1783-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Attached Images Attached Images Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1774-jpg Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1775-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Lots of sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap , more filling, and reworking a few spots including the rear end. The weather warmed up enough to spray another coat of primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap and here's where we are at. The primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap shows me what needs more work and this time around it looks pretty good. There are a few more spots and then it will be more primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap and wet sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap . I am eager to finish coat it! I wish there wasn't so much left to sort out. Rear and front spoilers need to be worked out, the tail light mounting needs to be figured out more thoroughly and some other details so I've got a good while before I can do the British Racing Green on it.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1780-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1781-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1782-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1783-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Haven't been able to do anything big with it, but did some work on the back end fashioning all new metal pieces, integrating the original license plate surround as well. I also wanted to figure out how I would attach the tail light lenses I had roughed out last year. Speaking of tail lights - I ended up ruining the one of the lenses I had (took off too much) and thought I had more of the material, but I was lacking enough redo it so I went in a new direction with a discarded reflector off a bike. It gets me a little closer to a cross between a Series 3 tail lamp and a more modern look. I still have to tweak it some, but at least I know if I mess it up I have enough to do another pair. I changed the angle of the spoiler and will remake that too for a tighter fit. I also need to make a front spoiler.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1786-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1785-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Did a few more small things. Reworked the rear spoiler into a front spoiler. Fashioned a new rear spoiler and I am not totally satisfied, but it works for now. I did more shaping on the tail lights and will probably do some wrap around bumpers such as were on the Series 3 XKE to go over the top of the tail lights. I still have to go back over and fill some spots and will have to retouch the primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap before wet sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap , but final prep for paint is a ways off. I'm going to fabricate a seat, (for a driver to be made later), cover the passenger side with a metal lid and do a small instrument panel w steering wheel. I also have to redo the headlight buckets a bit and figure out the attachment for the lenses. Here's some shots.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1787-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1788-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1789-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I plug on slowly. Worked a little on the headrest (not sure what it is called - that streamliner thing behind the driver's head) to get a tighter fit to the body. Still more to be done to get it to sit more flush. Also worked on the rear spoiler trying to regain some of the wrap around idea of the first one with the better fit of the 2nd one. I like this one best so I will likely go with it. It flows a little better with the rounded shape of the rear.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1815-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1816-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1818-jpg

Next tasks are to build wrap around rear bumpers and figure out the side pipes. I'm not satisfied with my earlier iteration and working with limited tools and skills I'm trying something that I hope will work well. More on that later. Still a long way from painting too. As I work on these various external parts I see spots I need to either touch up with filler or things that need more sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap . I was hoping to be putting on finish paint by next month but that's not going to happen at this rate. Such is life.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    More tidying up and working out some features before painting. I made another iteration of the side pipes. I was wanting to go for a set with a header coming out from under the rocker panel but my approach didn't work. I tried 1/8" aluminum rod bent to shape w some tighter 90 degree bends to go under the rocker panel and I was going thicken it using shrink insulation but ran into trouble because the shrink tubing doesn't like 90 degree bends. When you can get it to go around the bend it leaves a bubble on the interior of the bend. Scrap that. I decided to mate the starter pipes of the first version with a single pipe. I found some scrap aluminum tubing that was good size but had a thicker wall to it. I filled it with sand Jaguar XK Junk Heap and taped the ends shut and annealed the spot for the bend and the receiver end where I was going to flatten it to fit the two incoming pipes. My previous attempts at bending aluminum tubing failed in part because I don't think I annealed it enough and it tore open. I've been using a brake line tubing bender for this because the spring benders can get stuck. This time the thicker wall helped and heating them sufficiently as well. When it still felt too stiff I heated some more and the tubing gave in much more easily. Mission accomplished. I adapted the brass pipes cutting them a bit to fit in and then used a piece of shrink insulation to seal the joint so to speak. I still need to sand Jaguar XK Junk Heap and paint and will do that as soon as I am settled with this version. I'd love to figure out how to make a header with 4 pipes coming in.

Another thing I made was a small bumper trim for each side of the rear. I took the same 1/8" aluminum tubing and curved it and then flattened it with a hammer. Then filed and sanded it to a more finished shape. I still haven't figured out how I will attach it, but that is not a worry. I'll also have to figure out whether to paint it or polish it and clear coat it. A worry for another day. Here's some pics.
    What I am able to do so far.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1829-jpg

What I'd like to do.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1828-jpg

A little fix up on the rear.
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1830-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    The two into one exhaust is fine as long as your model has a straight six (it's difficult to get four primary pipes from six ports...) Check out the C type Jaguar exhaust if you want more ideas. The C type pipes are on the other side of the car, but of course you have artistic license on your side
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo NZ View Post
    The two into one exhaust is fine as long as your model has a straight six (it's difficult to get four primary pipes from six ports...) Check out the C type Jaguar exhaust if you want more ideas. The C type pipes are on the other side of the car, but of course you have artistic license on your side
    Thanks - I was going for a V12 Series III vibe but then thought, "How am I going to get 6 into one?" The only version of that I've seen is the Thomassima III Ferrari. A little too tangled for my taste and skills.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-thomassima-iii-jpg

Bob Tullius Group 44 XKE had double side pipes with 3 into 2 x 2. I guess I'll have to settle for an implied 3 into 1x2 under the bonnet coming out into 2 into 1 outside with side pipes on both sides.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-type-v12-44-1-jpg

I'll have to go with artistic license - or at least a learner's permit! Thanks.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #41