Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-10-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Build in Progress

"Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it." My mother used to say that and it has now become reality (once again). I was searching for a Jag body to possibly fit to my RC, but didn't want to do any alteration to an intact body. They are hard to get and tend to run out of my price range on eBay. Well this carcass showed up and the price was right, but it was in rougher shape than I imagined. Aside from the whole hood and nose being cracked in two, the roof was cracked and the floor pan too. Lots of parts are missing too, but the basic body shell has all the pieces. I separated the floorpan and firewall, and started figuring where I will alter it. My vision for this is as a speedster and i will use the roof as part of the back deck. For now it will sit while I finish up the Corvette GSR. I have lots of things to work through before I move forward. Suggestions welcome. Shots attached.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-junk-pile-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-hood-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-roof-crack-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-project-floor-pan-jpg

Here's the reconstituted shell.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-jpg

Here's the direction I want to go in.
      Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-5-jpg

Mine will have a 1 inch shorter wheelbase and I am mulling over how to cover my wider track. I'd prefer not to do flares like the GSR project, but rather widen the body in more subtle ways. That will sort it self out in time Lord willing.

Ciao!

P.S. Included in the heap of parts, was the back end of a T-Bucket which has a side cracked off of it. Message me if interested.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap

Build Photos

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-1-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I've had to lay of the building for some months now with the busyness of work and having renovation work done on the house. I'm doing a bit here and there but this is a slow one and much of the structural details to support this body are still being fleshed out. A roof and non opening doors made the vette comparitively easy to sort out. The doors won't open on this one but they are separate pieces. I worked out some details with the fender flares - still mock ups but more to my liking. I also went to work on bending tubing for the side pipes I envisioned. I tried the sand Jaguar XK Junk Heap fill process since the tubing is a little bigger than my tubing bender springs. I bought pre-annealled tubing both in aluminum and brass. The aluminum snapped open so no go on that one, but the brass was easy and the technique worked pretty well. Here's some of the latest shots. Nothing special but some progress nonetheless.Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1357-jpgJaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1358-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    It would look great in White and Green Group 44 livery
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I have images of that in my folder of various roadster racers and I am going for a quasi Series III tail light treatment, but my inspiration comes from this modded lightweight roadster pictured below and I am leaning towards good old British Racing Green (which as I understand it was arrived at because early on Brits couldn't race in country so they went over to Ireland and painted their cars green to disguise them.)

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jaguar-xke-brg-5-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    If this was a scratch build Jaguar XK Junk Heap or something on the order of one of the Pocher kits, I think it would take me a lifetime! This is such a slow process! I'm still fleshing things out but the most recent steps forward is that the doors are now permanently glued shut and reinforced from behind so as to further stiffen the body. The hood clamshell is still not attached and I am mulling over ways to do that. I am still working on the rear flares which will extend over the doors but have a cut line as if the doors open and the front of the flare moves with them, hence the partially cut flare you see hanging on with blue painters tape. I also worked on fleshing out the rear end treatment - it's still rough but pretty much in the direction I am going with it. The tail lights have to be cut down some more but you get the idea. The headrest/whatever you call it is newly made from some airplane wheel pants I picked up on clearance. It more reflects the curvature of the rear end and the overall body but a little wider than I want. The roll bar will sit more upright and is just resting in place. Here's a few shots.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1402-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1407-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1406-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1405-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1403-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 06-26-17 at 11:12 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Working on finishing the fleshing out of the rear fender flares. This is pretty much what I will run with but those items left to be sorted are mounting them to the body and filling and sanding Jaguar XK Junk Heap seams on the flares. Still a bit more shaping to be done as well so that they fit tight up against the body. I will not fill those seams but don't want any gaps. I will do similar to the bottom of the front flares, but not as much material added to the bottom. My goal is to have this ready to primer Jaguar XK Junk Heap by the end of summer but with some of my traveling and other work that might actually be a bit ambitious for me! - Lord willing we'll get it done.Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1409-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I was hoping to get farther on this this summer but the time has not been there to work on it. My goal was to get everything fitted, filled and hopefully primered so I could fine tune things and maybe get it finished by the end of the year, but this like the vette porject will just have to drag on a while. My teaching year starts in two weeks and I have some travel before that kicks in so here is what I have. All this is rough still and there are lots of adjustments that need to happen. The fender flares are attached but not permanent yet. I just made the rough formed side pipes to get a feel for the proportions and placement. I'll make a few adjustments to them and set them aside. I need to figure out my bonnet/hood clamshell mounting. I don't think I will have it open because I need the rigidity - as much as is possible for the entire body, and I am not sure I can do justice to fabricating an engine. The windscreen is the original junk piece the car came with and will not be used but I will be using it to make a template once I get it shaped the way I want. That said, here it is in all of its roughness, crude fabrication that it is.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1467-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1470-jpgJaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1471-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    No new photos. I fixed the hood clamshell to the rest of the body in such a way I can separate it as needed to complete it. I also fabricated a mounting bracket for the front so that allowed me some run time around the driveway to address clearance issues which turned out to be a good idea. Running with such wide tires in the front means the wheel wells have to be opened a litlle. I got to see where it was rubbing and made a few adjustments. Ran it with a fully recharged battery and all was good. There was a little rub in backing up but not enough to cause worries. Lots more to do and I'll post photos once I make more significant progress.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    I ask you indulgence! My work is still very rough at this point and lately I've had so little time to dig into this that all I can seem to accomplish is to rough form and fit things just to get an idea if the vision in my noggin is going to work. I've run it around the drive a few times and it's going to be fun once it is done - which is a long time from now. Anyway, the latest: Put in some time on some small things. Opened up the headlight openings and the grill opening and might open up the grill some more. I went to work on the headlight buckets, hood vents, and side pipes. I mocked them up, painted them up and will probably have to tidy them up a bit more. I have a busy stretch coming up and this will have to wait again. The back end will require a lot more tidying up.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-headlight-buckets-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-hood-vents-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-pipes-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    More small steps. Made headlight covers out of plastic spoons since I didn't have the originals and I enlarged the openings anyway. Squeezed them a little in a vise and heated them just a bit to induce more curve. They came out pretty well but I will probably do another pair. I just needed to see if the process would give a decent result. I widened the grill opening and need to do more touch up on that as well. I'm trying to get more of a Series III E Tupe opening but I might have to make some lip along the sides. I put a shot of my target opening from a real Series III E Type custom. Covered the passenger side of the cockpit and made a poster board template of the windshield and side lights.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1587-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-series-iii-grill-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1588-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1589-jpg

Still rough and slow going. Onward.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Worked on fashioning some A pillars, and figuring out the windscreen. It's not finalized but is helpful to see how high I think it ought to be and also that getting the arc of the top front just right is harder with no roof to dictate its shape. The polycarbonate sheet wants to dip in the middle.

The side screens will have a B pillar in them too, but I will wait a bit. Still working on the front grill opening too. More on that later.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-glass-1-jpg

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-jag-glass-2-jpg

Also mounted the antenna. Going to run it round the drive a bit and enjoy it for a moment. This is such a slow process for me in part because I am making it up as I go and in part because I have little or no time to work on it. I'm guessing finishing it will be in the summer after school is out because even my holiday breaks have lots of activity through the new year.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Larry!

Sounds like your still having fun? -AND, your trick with the clear spoons! that is genius!! I see that your using screws, are you screwing into raw plastic or have you used thermoplastic inserts? About figuring out where to trim the top of the windshield, may I suggest making it over-tall and then lay down some tape? Get some 1/4" tape and play with it! Create a line you like and then lay a different color above it, to its outside. Remove the first and see if you still like that line? -I work with a lot of designers, and you would be surprised how much tape those guys go through!!!!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Hello Larry!

Sounds like your still having fun? -AND, your trick with the clear spoons! that is genius!! I see that your using screws, are you screwing into raw plastic or have you used thermoplastic inserts? About figuring out where to trim the top of the windshield, may I suggest making it over-tall and then lay down some tape? Get some 1/4" tape and play with it! Create a line you like and then lay a different color above it, to its outside. Remove the first and see if you still like that line? -I work with a lot of designers, and you would be surprised how much tape those guys go through!!!!

-Don
    Thanks Don. In some cases the screws are into raw plastic and will eventuall have some glue as well. I still have to disassemble a few things in prep for painting before I make those things permanent. The clamshell hood is screwed into aluminums fins underneath that are attached to the monocogue. Those screws may or may not be permanently fixed.

I'm not an engineer by any means (went into music) - just somewhat handy and sometimes I have to re-do a few things because I am not up on the best techniques so any suggestions are great. I am not up on thermoplastic inserts. What do they look like and where does one find them?

I will be plastic welding the flares on with MEK and filling a few things too, and hopefully either will remove those screws or set them in a little lower so they can be covered. Since I run this thing on my concrete driveway which means vibrations to the body shell, I try and make it as sturdy and lightweight as possible, and secondly, repairable so not every fastener or screw will be concealed.

I'm not sure if I will have trim on top of the windshield or not. Still working through that and I suspect I will make another one once I work out attaching it (small screws into the backs of the A pillars along with a slotted piece of rubber along the bottom cut from an old windshield wiper is the plan currently)

Thanks again - Larry

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Not a lot has been done since my last post as there is not much time, but I have always wanted to put some detail in behind the wheels in the form of disc brakes and an idea came to me. These discs do not spin with the wheels and only have a caliper showing on the front side. The discs are fairly thin aluminum that I cut out with shears, made sure they were flat, and then trued them up by putting them on a drill and trimming them a bit. (The disc shown in the picture is a large metal washer - too heavy and didn't have quite large enough of an outer diameter but it gives you an idea of what I was looking for.) I sanded them while on the drill to give them a scored look. The hub is just a garden hose washer painted red. Lightweight and cheap too. The calipers are sheet styrene Jaguar XK Junk Heap . Nothing sophisticated but they helped with the look of the wheels. Hopefully I'll get some time to run it in the driveway this weekend to check for any clearance issues. (Note - I know E Types have inboard rear brakes but it is not possible with this transaxle set up and this chassis has several bodies to go on it besides the jag so I'm going outboard!)

Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1638-jpg
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1639-jpg
    Jaguar XK Junk Heap-img_1641-jpg

Hopefully when the holidays come I can do some more involved tasks on the body as I am eager to get it ready for primering.

Jaguar XK Junk Heap
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 11-16-17 at 01:16 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #29