Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-29-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I'm not in the same league as the builds I see and my moniker JunkGTZ reflects my practice of using discarded materials for my mods to RC bodies. I do this because I build on a limited budget out of choice. I got into RC cars through a gift from my wife of a toy class Nikko Flashback - a decent 1/8 scale vehicle for just kicking around my driveway with my kids. However, I am not one to leave things alone and decided to convert the car to an onroad sports racer about the size of an HPI Super RS4 (280 mm wheelbase) just in time for them to discontinue it. I've posted some of the bodies I came up with, but my current project is this 1/8 Monogram Corvette body. With a 280 mm wheelbase my car works out to be a little smaller than 1/8 which means changing the body or the chassis to fit. Since my other bodies are 280, I decided to shorten the body and re-envision the Vette calling it the Corvette GSR for Gran Sport Revival. The first shot is the body I bought as it was sent to me. The second is the body as it was first cut to fit the wheelbase. The third and subsequent are where things are at now with a nose intake, fixed headlights, hood vents, enlarged rear window, docked tail and IMSA style rear wheel vents. At this point I am just mocking this up and fitting and filing and hope to putty Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings up the seams and sand Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings and primer Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings soon. I'm still trying to decide whether to do side pipes, or side sills ala the C6R with a side exhaust. Since I build these bodies to run, it won't have the detail of a static model, and I try and keep the weight down and make it sturdy also. My inspirations are not only the Gran Sport, but the Pinninfarina Rondine Coupe, and the Guigiaro Moray.

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings

Build Photos

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-corvette-body-jpg  Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-corvette-gsr-jpg  Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-corvette-gsr-overhead-4-jpg  Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-corvette-gsr-front-jpg  Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-corvette-gsr-rear-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    You'd think I was scratch building this by how slow it has gone! Here's the latest installment. I can only work on this in short spans and those don't come frequently, but summer is here and I have a little more time. I had a number of things to figure out. First the hood - I was contemplating forming one with the scoop out of aluminum, but do not have time to make the buck (or enough suitable woodworking tools) to pull it off and then there is the trial and error (I make lots of those) issue once it came to forming the metal - lots of time and frustration. I decided to try something in line with my moniker of "JunkGTZ" and see what I had collected in the way of light weight polycarbonate plastic containers, etc. A couple DG window cleaner bottles donated the back of the handle to form a hood bulge/scoop and that brand in particular has a stouter bottle than some so it worked pretty well. I butted up the two halves, glued them together with quick epoxy Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings and put some putty Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings and sanded it. Then shaped it on my belt sander. In the process I opted out of the original plan to have the intake in front of the hood and patched the hole. I used corregated plastic sign material for an underside reinforcement of the hood bulge/scoop where I attached it to the hood. it is screwed in and can be removed for painting - the hood will be black and the hood scoop will match the rest of the body. Right now a French Racing Blue is what I am leaning towards for that.

Then there is the headlight gameplan. I tried mocking up some different options with paper and nothing satisfied me and then I was looking at the "brow" of a BMW 5 series while out and about town, and decided to take the existing headlight cover section and cut out a "brow" type opening and covered it with a clear plastic sheet. Lights will be added and the holes I cut need to be cleaned up a bit.

The next big challenges are attaching the fender flares securely and closing up the gaps between them and the plastic body. They will be a contrasting color - black, but I need to tidy up the openings and secure them first. Following that, I will deal with the rear window and front window, both of which will be light weight polycarbonate and I am trying to see if I can form them over a simple wooden buck with a heat gun - (although part of me is toying with the idea of building a vacuum forming table.) I will also tidy up the opening of the window in the back. Lastly, putting in side windows with the sliding vent opening and rear view mirrors. My hope is to be ready to paint by summer's end.

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-hood-jpgCorvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-front-top-jpgCorvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-bottle-bash-jpgCorvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-jpgCorvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-front-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Here's an idea of what I am going for with my color combination of black and French Racing Blue. Wouldn't mind building one of these bodies, but that will probably have to wait and wait....and wait....!

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-detomaso-mangusta-racer-1-jpgCorvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-detomaso-mangusta-racer-2-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I 've made a little progress, painted a few things, fabricated light buckets, filled sanded the light housings and primed them. The light bezels are made from license plate/car tag aluminum. Sometimes I've made these by hammering solder wire flat and shaping it into a ring of the right size, but since weight is an issue here and the aluminum has some thickness to it but without much mass, I gave it a try. Here's the latest:

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-light-buckets-jpgCorvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-lights-fit-jpgCorvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-lights-jpg

I also blacked out the front and rear spoilers, the wing, and the hood just to start getting an idea of the color contrast with the future body color.

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-rear-jpgCorvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-jpg

I am making up the plan as I go along and things like the fender flares are still up for reconsideration. I tried fastening some mock ups to the outside and was not happy with the fit. Now they are fastened from the underside, but I still need to figure out a way to get them flush with the wheel wells. My hope is once I get that figured, I might be able to actually finish paint the body and spend time on the limited interior features, but since there is no deadline, I'll just plug along and handle it when I can Lord willing.

QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I had been pondering what to do about my fender flairs because there was a lot of work to make them fit smoothly with the openings in the plastic body and I wanted them removable for the sake of repairability should I crash the the car as well. The aluminum I used was cut to shape and fitted but I needed more thickness to close the gap. Chassisdude was using some of the foam with the adhesive back for upholstery on his Offy Roadster build and that got me thinking - it's lightweight, easy to work with, sticks well, but being foam it won't take a solvent based paint spray. Enter wood glue - water base but dries to a hard shell so two coats of that with a small paint brush and some sanding Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings and I'm on my way. The fronts are more or less done and so I'm showing the rears in progress. The wood glue is drying on the rear flairs and it will take some time before I can paint them, but you get the idea from these photos. I've been making up my own solutions t0 the challenges of adapting this body to my RC chassis (that too will be rebuilt sometime TBA) so I tinker, fit, recut, redo, and even scrap some of my attempts at one task or another which means slow going, but I am optimistic about finishing this now that this hurdle has been cleared. Windows will be the next hurdle, especially the front and rear. The originals are too heavy and not transparent enough.

The flare and the material:
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-rear-fender-flair-2-jpg

The fit into the body:

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-rear-fender-flair-1-jpg

The glue used to coat the foam in order to paint it:

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-fender-flair-build-jpg

The finished flair on the front:

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-front-fender-flair-2-jpg

3/4 view with progress thus far:

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-3-4-front-view-jpg

Last edited by JunkGTZ; 09-27-14 at 06:42 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Progress continues to be slow. I finally came up with a rear hatch treatment I liked and which was easy to make. I had at one point planned to make a home built vacuum forming machine and do a rear window similar to the C5 and C6 vettes but that is a project for another day. I was looking at images of the new C7 vette and decided to incorporate some inspiration from its rear window (though I have to say I hate the rear end, especially the tail lights on the new vette). I mocked it up in heavy paper and then made it out of sheet aluminum. I also changed the wheels back to another set I started with to see how the whole thing works together. I like these and will tidy them up later on. Unfortunately my camera phone is not working as well as I liked so I will shoot some more once I get some further finishing done and use a decent camera. In the meantime, here it is so far:

Paper mock up
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-rear-hatch-paper-mock-2-jpg

Metal version
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-rear-hatch-metal-jpg

Primered metal version
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-rear-hatch-primer-jpg

Rear 3/4 view w primered metal hatch
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-rear-hatch-3-4-rear-view-jpg

Front 3/4 view
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-gsr-rear-hatch-3-4-view-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I've not had as much time to work on either project this summer as I had anticipated, but I set the Jag aside so I could focus on getting the Vette further along before school starts up again. I broke it down and went to work on prepping Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings it to eventually be painted. Part one of the process involved fixing the joints where I sectioned the body. Thanks to Dr. Dave and his advice on using Methyl Ethyl Ketone or Mek with some plastic shavings, I was able to make a welding solution of sorts that made really strong bonds and they were sanded and lightly filled and then the whole thing was primered. The joints did not flex at all during the sanding Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings process so we can now move on from those worries. I set it on the chassis minus the flares, tail pieces, and side exhaust coverings just to show where I'm at so far. The hood scoop is taken from the cowl induction bulge of the Jag's cracked hood which I replaced with a newer completely intact hood. It works quite well to my eye so I'm going with it.

MEK joints before sanding Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings .
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1160-jpg

MEK Joints after sanding Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings and before filler.
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1162-jpg

Primer Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings sans flares, wing, tail cap, and side exhaust.
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1173-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1172-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Well, time for an update although my build is slow and rather crude by comparison. Disaster struck. Episode 1 - My sons have a rock band which rehearses once or twice a week in the room next to my storage room where my project sits. My shelves holding my polycarbonate RC bodies were light duty plywood sitting on uprights screwed into the wall. My youngest son's new bass amp vibrates the walls pretty good and the shelves came down....landing on the vette body. No major damage to the body, but the roll cage I made out of aluminum tubing was sitting out since I was working on prepping Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings for paint and it got flattened. I can make another and probably better than what I had, but a bit of a setback. Episode 2 - My wife was cleaning in the store room and the table got bumped causing the left side headlight cover to fall off. She didn't realize it and didn't see it fall. I searched and searched and it has yet to turn up so I have set about to making a new one. The original was made from the outer part of the original vette headlight assembly and not having any spares, I'm having to fabricate two new ones (so they can match better) but not out of plastic. I have some old license plates made out of aluminum and the material is easy to shape so I made a template out of cardboard, traced it on the plate and cut it out to form the new covers. It is more work than expected because the translation from paper to aluminum can sometimes make it challenging to get a tight fit with the right curves and the right shaped hole, and then I have to get them to match each other. You scratch builders are much better at this than a rookie like myself and handle these challenges much more easily than me. Here it is, rough still.

The one on the left side of the photo is the original from the opposite side and the aluminum one on the right was the first I made.
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1184-jpg

The right front original and its rough cut replacement.
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1185-jpg

Fitment of the piece prior to drilling and shaping the hole.
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1187-jpg

A close match but more work to do.
    Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1188-jpg

My hope is to get all these pieces finished and maybe even get the color on this thing next month. Next task....screw those shelves to the uprights!

QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Headlights Round 3. Trying the bezels from the originals squeezed into the metal coverings I made to see if it gives the Vette a meaner look. They are a bit wide for the opening so I might open things up a bit, but as it goes, I may remake these yet again so they fit more snug in the body.

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1194-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1195-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Here's the latest work on the headlights. Formed some new pieces and tried to be very careful with fitting them and making the openings the same size and shape. I sanded and primered them and also painted the original bezels I was adapting to fit. Not completely satisfied with the bezels, but they are a little better than what I had before. I can't really make the openings any larger and the diameter of the bezels are a little large for a four light set up given how they are set back in. Granted they are not functional and this doesn't have to be super detailed, but I'm looking for a sense of balance and not getting it with this current setup. Smaller lights ought to do it.

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-dsc00815-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-dsc00819-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-dsc00821-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-dsc00818-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Well, here we go again with yet another iteration of the headlamps. I made new shells, full light buckets and found some medication caps that worked well as bezels - then ruined those with some bad paint and had to remake them - but had lots left over as my wife is a nurse and these things come home in her pockets and end up in either the washing machine or the dryer. I shaped the openings as well. Here's what I have now. I like the look of smaller lights and tucked up under the outer shells, they have more of the look I was going for. We'll keep plugging along. I'll start working the interior a bit and refining some of the other things I've done on it, but hope to complete this by the end of the year.

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-imag1213-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-dsc00824-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-dsc00826-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    This process is entirely too slow, but I am working away at it still. I was hoping to have a coat of blue paint on this thing by the end of the year, but I've got a long list of details to fix before I can do that. There's an expression that everything is created twice - i.e., there is the concept in the brain and the working out in reality, but for me it's three or four times. I've remade nearly every fabricated piece on this car since I find things that are uneven or don't fit right and that has been part of the hold up. Latest work includes re-doing the front wheel vents, and redoing the rear spoiler which was not sitting quite right. The wing and its mounting bracket is off right now and will be reinstalled once I finish some other things in the back. I sorted out the attachment of the rear fascia a bit more and tried making a tow ring but it sits a little too far in so I will make another and also do one for the front. I also painted the roll cage, but need to sand Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings it in spots and repaint again. Still lots of work left to do on the front as well but that will be for another update.

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-img_0014-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-img_0016-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-img_0019-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-img_0018-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-img_0017-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    A sunny day and warmer weather calls for a run around the driveway once in a while. The light was good for bringing out a few details sometimes hidden from the camera. Lots left to do though.

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-img_0025-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-img_0031-jpg

Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings-img_0033-jpg

I'll be off from this build for a while heading into the busiest season of my school year, but it's just as well since I have more prep work to do, and the temperature is not warm enough to paint yet. In the meantime, I will be savoring some of the really spectacular builds here. Ciao!

QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    I love the aluminum accents. It might look cool to paint the plastic parts, but buff the aluminum and clear coat Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings . Nice project!
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Thanks. I have been delayed at getting the body finished. My school year is done, but the honey do list had some fairly urgent things to attend to. As for the aluminum, the only unpainted aluminum I was planning on was the vents behind the front wheels. I am debating what color to paint the currently unpainted parts -black? metalic blue with the body? semi flat white ? Not sure yet. I have to repair a crack in the cowl where I spliced in some plastic (it had been cut by a previous owner who appeared to be making it into some sort of RC funny car. I hope to get the body more or less finished by summer's end. I'll think on the aluminum accents!

QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Well folks, I need some tips on painting. I used a Tamiya Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings lacquer Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings gray primer Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings which was very easy to work with under the premise that a good primer Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings can save a lot of hassles with the top coat and it was my understanding a lacquer Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings primer Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings would not react with the top coat if I went another type of paint. My top color was a cobalt blue metallic Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings made by Krylon as I have had reasonable good luck with that brand in other things and it's affordable and comes in a larger quantity. Some spots look really good and have a nice gloss while other spots have an almost matte finish to it and in a couple of places it has bubbled. I can sand Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings out the bubbles, but the inconsistency in the sheen is the biggest problem. In know when I ask, "Any suggestions?" the response will be "Spend more money on better paint!" but I really do not have a lot to spend on these projects. SO here goes. Any suggestions as to how to get the shine out of it? Buff it with a rubbing compound? Clear coat Corvette GSR Build - humble beginnings ? It doesn't look terrible but it could be better. Suggestions welcome. Thanks. Let the flogging begin.

QUOTE QUOTE #31