Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-15-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Oh, that's an easy one. It's half truck:

(In this case a Tamiya What the heck is a "truggy?" F-350 cab)

and half buggy

I've had this together for about a year, and decided to super-detail the sucker. The motor and transmission are deep in the chassis and quite compact, so I have room for a full interior. Looks like there's room for an engine, too. I know the guys that make these:

Engine Shop - BartosChassis

and couldn't resist picking up a resin What the heck is a "truggy?" big block for $15.00. I'm a Ford guy, so I'll build it up as a 460. The Bartoses are Chevy guys, so their kit looks more like a Chev, although they did a good job on the Ford valve covers.

The included single-plane intake wasn't going to work on a heavy offroader, so I called Summit and ordered an Edelbrock Performer. It really should be taller, but it should look okay once it's covered with a carb and grime.

Next order of business was to make the timing cover and water pump look like a proper Ford. Nothing fancy here, just lots of layers of styrene What the heck is a "truggy?" , and a few nuts shaved off a Tamiya What the heck is a "truggy?" semi wheel.

All painted up. It'll pass. You can see how tight it fits between the shock hoops. It'll be fun to change the plugs in this beast. I mixed Microballoons in with the paint for an as-cast texture on the block, heads and intake.

Thermostat cover and spiffy chrome nuts

I made this dashboard for another project, and figured annoying the rivet counters was worth it. Not very Fordlike, but I hate to let it molder in the parts box.

And more...

Build Photos

What the heck is a "truggy?"-67-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The crew over at my LHS What the heck is a "truggy?" would go ballistic over that. That's definitely hard core R/C.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I might try my luck in the spring model contest at my LHS What the heck is a "truggy?" . There's plenty of modeling in here. The details just never end...

Power steering hoses

Tranny cooler

A little gray wash to dull the bright colors and age the hoses a bit.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You definitely have to put that one in the contest. The gray wash does the trick. How do you apply it? What type of paint are you using? What is the ratio of color to not color (thinner vs. clear) ?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    The paint I used is Createx white and Testors acrylic What the heck is a "truggy?" flat black, mixed on a palette to get various shades of gray. Some parts of the mix are light, others are dark. I've found engine compartments are rarely uniform, so this works well. Once the color is mixed, I dip the brush in water and spread the color around. Kinda old-school.
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks OBH. I'm going to try it out.
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    More little details:

Light half full of water

Shackle covering that hole in the bumper

Spare clip for the hand cannon

Overall progress. Still waiting for my wheels to arrive.
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I guess that 50-shot was too much for the old motor mounts.

Good thing I had this chain.
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Well, the motor mount took out the hood when it failed, so it's time for a new one:

Actually the old one had some filled body-post holes from a previous life (this body has been on 4 chassis that I can think of).

Damn Google. Found an image of a B&M high-capacity pan for the C6 trans so I had to make this:

It's a bit out of focus, but I did do the cast-in B&M lettering. Well, I had to do "B+M", the ampersand is pretty hard to do when it's 1/16 inch across. The item description mentioned that you don't have to alter the dipstick to use the pan. Dipstick! I knew I forgot something.

QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Time for an update!

White spoke wheels from RC4WD, detailed with a Sharpie

Just the look I was going for. Now all it needs is the new shocks and it'll be done. Ish.
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Man, dig them crazy balonies.
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Experimenting now with more weathering What the heck is a "truggy?" . The new wheels are steel, so I let one of 'em soak in sea salt and hydrogen peroxide after scraping What the heck is a "truggy?" a little paint off. Should rust up nicely before long.
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Wideners off, shocks on :D

Let's go play outside:

Upskirt shot

The windshield doesn't fit as well as it could. I think I'll make a Lund visor to make it a bit less obvious.

I thought the peroxide was working well til I saw one of the other wheels had rusted just the same where the wheel nut had scraped the paint off. I'll just let 'em rust naturally. With this weather it shouldn't be long.
    Last edited by Old Busted Hotness; 01-06-10 at 02:19 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Wow OBH! If I didn't know better I'd think I was looking at the real thing! You never cease to amaze me with your details.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Managed to fit a pair of Deuce drums to the rear. They look a bit like 3/4 ton brakes stuffed into a 15-inch wheel:

QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by strevo View Post
    Wow OBH! If I didn't know better I'd think I was looking at the real thing! You never cease to amaze me with your details.
    -Steve
    Same thing for me. Just when you think OBH has peaked, something like this comes along and raises the bar again and again.
    QUOTE QUOTE #46