Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-08-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Evidently I still need to build something. Got a wild hair the other day and figured I'd run with it. Always had a soft spot for air-cooled V-dubs (but never owned a 1:1 Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya , go figure).

Tamiya Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya re-released their 1979 RC kit, the Sand Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya Scorcher, a couple years ago, so for 40 bucks I picked up a complete body set. Back in 1979 RC's were converted plastic models, and the Scorcher features a nicely detailed hard plastic body on an advanced (for its day) RC chassis. But we're just using the body. It's listed as 1/10 scale but in reality it's much closer to 1/8. Tamiya Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya 's 1/10 kits run anywhere from real 1/12 to real 1/8, so they fit in the 1/10 racing class and still look right.

This one I built back in 2007, before the repop when parts were still stupid expensive. But you can see the level of detail in the body. My goal is to match that with a superdetailed chassis and of course, engine.

Another view.

I've got a bid on a Revell Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya Kubelwagen that I plan to steal most of the parts from. I know there's a nice engine and some wheels in there, and I may be able to use the pan, too. But if not I can scratch all that stuff up.

Opening doors and luggage compartment are planned, we'll see how that goes.

Unfortunately, Tamiya Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya changed the mold sometime in the 80's when they introduced the Monster Beetle, cutting off the lovely rounded fenders to make room for big tires. So step one is to rebuild the arches to original spec, and fill in any screw holes that need it.

As usual I'm gonna just go with the flow and let it tell me what it wants to be. It could grow a split window. The "vision" I have at this point is a half-finished car, running but not painted and slightly manky.

Just to clarify, this will be a static build, no RC gear.

Should be fun, stay tuned! Less alliteration in future posts.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Go for it, Stu. I think what you've got in mind will be pretty cool. I'd definitely throw in that spilt back window.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I will be real interested in this build as I tried to build a VW motor for a midget, awhile back. It didn't turn out as well as I hoped so I'm ready to go to school on this thread. I'm glad you're doing this Stu.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I like it.....a lot!!!!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. I had a package waiting when I got home from work, so let's start on this sucka!

In the box was the body and tires. 2-day shipping from RPP Hobby, best in the business.

I decided on RC4WD's Roady 1/14 semi-truck tire for the front, since they look like a modern radial. Out back I used Desert Kings. The 1.55 tire size will stretch over whatever wheel I end up using.

Built up the fender lips with .080x.250 styrene Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya ...

... and cut most of it off. Then a bead of .080 half-round finishes the arch off. You can see I also cut the lid off.

This took longer than I expected. First I buzzed the backside with a Dremel Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya sanding Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya drum. Gotta keep the Dremel Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya moving fast when you do this or you'll burn through, or melt and distort the plastic. When you see light, start being careful. When the sound changes to "babababababababababa" you're done with the Dremel Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya , and only cleanup is required with a nice sharp knife.

Engine compartment lid was cut off with a razor saw. Even though there's a substantial curve to the body, there's ONE angle you can hold the saw and get the cut to line up on the panel line. The ends were cut with a knife.

Still gotta do the rear arches and then cut out the doors.

Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya
    Last edited by Old Busted Hotness; 03-08-12 at 07:06 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's a great start. Are you going to weather it up or leave it pristine? Great job on the rear air vents.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. It's gonna be one of those unfinished projects you see on the road. As in, "I was gonna paint it, but I had to go to work." So the body will have some weathering Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya , but the fiberglass parts will look new.

This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    Nice!

A while back one of our friends gave us the same RC kit.

Its not in the best shape, bit of broken bodywork, but easily repairable.

We have had it running only once, but it wasnt perfect, so we dismantled it and just left it... IUts currently in a box, untouched...

I may bring itn out and give it a proper rebuild... Static build would be better aswel, since we lost the controller!

We also have a few spares, like shocks, etc, that I can use in future builds.

JP
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    I can almost smell the hot Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya styrene Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya ! Looks great and lots of fun!
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Well, I won the Kubel auction, so I've got a week or so til it shows up. We'll see if I can get the body done by the time it gets here.

Started on the firewall, mainly to stiffen up the body, because...

... the doors fell off. Also added some body cancer and a dent that's been inexpertly hammered out.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Ah yes. I'm glad to see you putting the OBH touch on this one. That's what I was looking for. That badly hammered dent looks great.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Went shopping today. Saw these in the pet food section.

Why am I telling you this?

OK, mostly because I'm lazy. But there's useful curves in these scoops, and for two bucks, what the heck.

Bam.

Also added the contour to the inside of the firewall, and started on door jambs and inner panels.

Started on the luggage compartment, too.

And the mailman brought me a Rogue Element dash kit.

Next up, door hinges. No, wait. Taxes. Crap.

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Now that's crossing over at its best. Pet food scoops can be car parts. And I've been in the dumpster again.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. And I've been blowing off doing taxes, so I can make hinges.

Door hinges (man that looks rough up close)

Both doors are hung now, pic was taken when only the left was done.

Hood hinges

Door jambs are super fiddly. Left side is done. The dash is glued to the windshield so I can do the frame. Once it's painted I'll assemble it to the body and trim up the edges.

Passenger side is missing a door panel.

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    really bings back the days when I was 5 yars old and my father brought home a light blue brand new VW bug. It was so cool.

Nice work and very interesting project OBH.

Gary
    QUOTE QUOTE #15