Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-08-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Evidently I still need to build something. Got a wild hair the other day and figured I'd run with it. Always had a soft spot for air-cooled V-dubs (but never owned a 1:1 Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya , go figure).

Tamiya Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya re-released their 1979 RC kit, the Sand Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya Scorcher, a couple years ago, so for 40 bucks I picked up a complete body set. Back in 1979 RC's were converted plastic models, and the Scorcher features a nicely detailed hard plastic body on an advanced (for its day) RC chassis. But we're just using the body. It's listed as 1/10 scale but in reality it's much closer to 1/8. Tamiya Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya 's 1/10 kits run anywhere from real 1/12 to real 1/8, so they fit in the 1/10 racing class and still look right.

This one I built back in 2007, before the repop when parts were still stupid expensive. But you can see the level of detail in the body. My goal is to match that with a superdetailed chassis and of course, engine.

Another view.

I've got a bid on a Revell Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya Kubelwagen that I plan to steal most of the parts from. I know there's a nice engine and some wheels in there, and I may be able to use the pan, too. But if not I can scratch all that stuff up.

Opening doors and luggage compartment are planned, we'll see how that goes.

Unfortunately, Tamiya Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya changed the mold sometime in the 80's when they introduced the Monster Beetle, cutting off the lovely rounded fenders to make room for big tires. So step one is to rebuild the arches to original spec, and fill in any screw holes that need it.

As usual I'm gonna just go with the flow and let it tell me what it wants to be. It could grow a split window. The "vision" I have at this point is a half-finished car, running but not painted and slightly manky.

Just to clarify, this will be a static build, no RC gear.

Should be fun, stay tuned! Less alliteration in future posts.

Busted Builds B*tchin' Baja Bug! 1/8 Tamiya
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Wait, I ain't done yet!

Thought I'd try my hand at some more functional stuff:

Sun visor (action is a bit stiff, but it does work)

This one's tricky. Start by popping out the wing windows, trimming the frame and drilling holes in the door frame. Use the window as a template to make a frame. CA the brass rod to the frame and trim off the bits you don't need.

Glue the glass back in. Not shown is the .040 quarter-round on the inside.

Install by bending the assembly to line up the brass rod with the holes. Congratulate your self and then realize you have to do the other side now.

This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. DominiqueBeerts's Avatar Avid Belgian
    Name
    Dominique
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
    ... Congratulate your self and then realize you have to do the other side now.
    That hurts, doesn't it?
    Seriously, great job on this car. It's full of nice details, and the overall look is very convincing.
    Best regards,
    Dominique.

Feel free to browse through my photo albums
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That wing window is great. It's such a simple thing but adds tons of realism. I can't wait to see what comes up next.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

4. Sometimes less is more. In this case...

... one less trim ring. A little damage done getting it off, but it's in character so it stays. One of the advantages of building a beat-up model.

Passenger side wing window

And no Baja is complete without an EMPI sticker.

I think I'm gonna call it done now. It's getting dangerously close to junker territory and I don't want it towed away by the civic authorities.

This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #50

5. Romell R's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Romell
    [I]Man this build is outstanding , Id like to see finished pics!!![/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

6. BadWagon's Avatar Member
    Name
    John
    Simply fantastic. Well done.
    QUOTE QUOTE #52

7. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Finally saw the last part of this awesome build...great work! One thing to add; the third cylinder kept blowing out the spark plug on our 1968 Beetle. My dad wedged it in with a brick against the right engine wall. It never blew out again and I think we sold it that way!
    QUOTE QUOTE #53