Close

Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-25-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This was supposed to get IH back in the game back in 1980. The prototypes (10 or 12 were made, ranging in wheelbase from 80-100 inches) actually toured the country in the late 70's, making the rounds to IH dealers to drum up enthusiasm for the "next Scout" that never came to pass.

I'll admit it's an ugly little spud. So ugly I had to build it.

Two of the prototypes remain, both 100-inchers, and both quite finished and production-ready. One is at the ACD museum in Auburn (if you've never been, shame on you) and the other is in JB Hunt's private collection. The Hunt vehicle makes public appearances from time to time.

So being the Binder fanatic that I is, I had to build this bit of arcane history.

Started with the usual Depron foam and epoxy Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype , UCF Icing, and lots of sanding Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype . Since it'll be RC and subject to the occasional rollover, I reinforced the body with carbon fiber. I'll spare you the gorey details and post up a few in-progress pics, and the latest shot. The bodywork is now approaching "not bad"

Build Photos

Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype-img_3081-jpg  Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype-img_3085-jpg  Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype-img_3357-jpg  Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype-img_3366-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Great job on that body. This ones going to be a build to follow.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Big day today. Got the paint on, as well as the regulation cheesy graphics. It wouldn't be an IH without them. Also painted the bumper and installed fog lights to conceal the servo. I guess I didn't show the grille/headlights earlier, so here they are as well. Spare tire is from the Big Deuce kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype-img_3395-jpg  Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype-img_3396-jpg  Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype-img_3394-jpg 
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. mdlrk
    mdlrk's Avatar Guest
    You are the "COOL" of creativity. Amazing what you come up with and bring to reality. Thanks for the inspiration to keep thinking of what could be.

Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Nicely done OBH!
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh that's great. Another fantastic creation from the OBH master.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Oh my, you should have gotten a job at IH in their day....great vehicles for those that remember.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Ya gotta dig the color and stripes definitly not Farmer Brown's IH ! Great work OBH!!
    It's a fine line between stupid and cleaver....
    David St. Hubbins "Spinal Tap"
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I'm sure you've noticed that the finish isn't perfectly glass-smooth. That's more or less intentional. I knew it was gonna get some "trail rash" and decided that a "good enough" or "10-footer" paint job would be good enough, and save me a couple weeks of sanding Ugly Truckling: Scout III SSV Prototype , as well as a lot of heartbreak.

Our first outdoor comp was snowed out, so we went back to the indoor crawling course. Notice the front bumper is a little pretzeled; it got worse and I took it off for the second run. There's also a nice little dent over the passenger door from a rollover.

Got another Scout in the works, so I'll have an 800 as well as the Traveler and the SSV. It ain't easy being a marque fanatic....
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    That is NICE! I would be too scared of breaking it to drive, so much work and just one crash........
    UGH, it makes me want to cry and Its not even mine nor has it happened!
    Proud to have served.

Wondering, WHY ME? since 1972.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10