Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-26-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

So what's the problem? It's manufactured by Aoshima "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser Originally a toy-grade RC, I decided to put some decent running gear in it, and give it some detail at the same time. I purchased the body second-hand on another forum. It's molded in short-bus yellow, and that was the first change I made:

Tamiya "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser AS-14 Olive Green is pretty close to an original Toyota color, and much easier on the eyes.

I slid a Montana Scale Designs BB-51 frame under it, to see how it would fit, and was pleasantly surprised:

It hangs down past the rocker panels about 3/4 inch. Not bad. It makes the running-gear installation very tight, since I'm keeping the full interior. I managed that by using a divorced transfer case and separate gear reduction unit on the motor. The motor is mounted to the frame, up front where the engine would be. You can see it in the next pic, sort of.

Next up, a frame extension and front bumper with tow hooks made from brass. I spent a good half hour annealing a big pile of tube this morning so the luggage rack and spare-tire carrier (also brass) will have nice tight bends.

And added some body armor- Plastruct diamond plate painted with Testors Metalizer "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser stainless steel.

The axles I'm using are all-new units from RC4WD.com that are near-perfect reproductions of Dana 60's, CNC'd from aluminum. But I won't get them for a while, so I'm concentrating on the bodywork.

Wheels will be either plain steelies, or white-spoke, with tall narrow tires.

So far the biggest challenge is finding room for everything. Once it's finished the challenge will be keeping it on its wheels; this body weighs a ton!

Anyway, enjoy.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    Killer. This kind of resourcefulness is what high-quality modeling is all about. Great idea and great job.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Somehow I missed this one. That's some great work. I'd like to see this one when it's done. Great detailing job.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser
    I've made a little progress lately. I decided that a carbon-fiber canoe would be just the thing to carry up on top (and I made a brass luggage rack, too). The boat is two layers of carbon over one layer of carbon-Kevlar weave, and it may be the strongest part of the build:

And of course you need a 4-inch PVC pipe to hold your fishing rod:

And finally, the wheels & tires:

Still waiting on the axles, probably another week or so on those.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's really looking great. It's a very unique build and I really like it.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sweet!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser
    Not much to update, I'm afraid. Still waiting for the axles to become available (well, they are available if I wanted to pay for 'em, but they promised me a free set so I can wait. 300 bucks is 300 bucks, ya know?)

Here's the shocks I made for it.

Turned down a set of Tamiya "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser monster-truck shocks with a drill press and a file, and made the cover tubes out of brass.
    Last edited by Old Busted Hotness; 09-24-07 at 12:04 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser
    I really wanted to play with this thing, so I rolled some spare axles under it and finished up the assembly. Then I took it outside and got it all dirty

The chassis isn't 100% scale, but it works pretty well. I need to make stronger links, as the 4-40 allthread isn't up to a 20-pound rig and a powerful brushless motor.

Some junk in da trunk. You can find a lot of this stuff in a dollhouse shop, or buy it on eBay if you feel less than manly going into one of those joints.

Driver Mike sets a bad example with an open container of alcohol "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser The flashlight on the passenger seat is a Big Deuce cowl light and some chrome sprue "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser .

The swing-away tire carrier, does.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser
    Outside, this hog drives better than expected. I figured it would want to tip over, being as heavy (20 pounds?) as it is, but it drives nice and stable.

Looks better out here than on the shelf, you gotta admit.

Maybe you can see it, maybe not, but the headlights are on, powered by a 6V rechargeable pack. The tails light up, too.

I told ya I was gonna get it dirty. The shocks work as good as they look.

Got a few more details to add (foam cooler for more frosty beers) and I want to strap the canoe back on and make some repairs, but it's a whole lot farther along than it was yesterday :)'
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Amazing - even enlarging the images they look like the real thing and you look pretty good in the drivers seat.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's really an incredible job. it looks real, no question about it. If you lowered the camera angle, you'd never know it's a model. Hey, is that a beer can in the driver's left hand? Pull over ---now.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    This makes me want to get into R/C. Like I need another (expensive) hobby! LOL. Just shelled out 1k for a Clausing lathe for the hobby room.
    Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser
    I can't stop working on this thing!

Added some surface rust to the hood & fenders

A light coat of flat clear on the windshield. Looks like my wiper blades are shot!

Made some bungee cords from hair-bands and steel wire, and the tool box carries repair tools. Tool box came from an overseas candy distributor. Haven't seen it in the states.

Lit up the reverse lights with a servo and micro-switch. It's Y-harnessed with the speed control, so when I reverse the throttle, the lights come on.

Added another servo up front and made the winch functional. The dummy winch is from the Tamiya "Problem Child" Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser Wild Willy.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm really liking this. I always love to see what you come up with. Your driver looks a bit like Ted Danson from Cheers.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15