Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-14-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Attribution Scratch Built
      Build in Progress

Greetings,

Here I go again. Mucking it up with my crudities amongst such exquisite builds!

It looks kind of clunky now, but I am now in the process of mocking up what will hopefully be a shorter build than the last one. Experience and a little less complex (I hope) but even to get to this point has not been easy. In my case this is sort of a monocoque riding on another chassis and it has to function a bit like a supporting skeleton. I had a McAllistar Nissan GTP 90 body that I modified to be more like a Kremer K8 Porsche roadster. It worked pretty well on my old chassis but doesn't fit the new one and so I started in thinking what could I do to modify it further and more to my liking. I love this particular version of the 1970 Ferrari 512 S so I thought I'd give it a go since the body is not worth anything to anybody but me. I've gathered lots of images, including blue prints and such and went about mapping things and pondering how I will do it. The body will be a mix of the front portion of the polycarbonate body and fabricated out of various things for the remaining 2/3's. I'll have to paint the outer side of the poly body so that the finish will be even in texture and shine between the mixed materials and I really do not want to try and remove the paint underneath.

Here's the aspiration and inspiration.
      Ferrari 512 S Analog-ferrari-512s-view-copy-jpg

And a video that got me thinking what a cool machine this really is!

Here's the original body from a while back.
      Ferrari 512 S Analog-101_4603-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog-101_4604-jpg

Now the perspiration as a result of the inspiration. Here's the mocked up monocoque chassis out of corrugated sign materials. The end of an event or political season results in a lot of free sign board. I might as well use it. The rocker rails are pvc molding. I had hoped to do the whole thing in folded aluminum sheet but it proved too flimsy and my ability to cut the thicker stuff is limited since I do not have access to either a band saw with metal blade or a water jet. It's just me an my hand tools. This will do until I discover better stuff.
      Ferrari 512 S Analog-rc-ferrari-512-chassis-1-jpg

And the mocked up monocoque chassis on the actual chassis. Because of my battery mounting position, I might have to make it left hand drive which is not typical of this type of car but I'm not trying to be exact.
      Ferrari 512 S Analog-rc-ferrari-512-chassis-chassis-jpg

Here are two shots of the mocked up body. Lots of cutting and replacing of the sides and figuring out how to make the rear clamshell into one piece of body work. In short, lots of work to do!
      Ferrari 512 S Analog-rc-ferrari-512-mock-1-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog-rc-ferrari-512-mock-2-jpg

I've done more work since these shots and am still figuring out a few things about materials and pieces I've gathered to do this. I end up building certain portions a couple of times until I am satisfied enough to move on. It's a lot of mocking things up, and standing back and looking at it for a few days or more and the back half of this one is already proving to be quite a challenge so I'll see where this goes.

Ferrari 512 S Analog
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Made a few small adjustments and then took it out for a run in he driveway. Lots of fun. Can't wait to get it finished in red, but there's lots of prep work to go for that, and I am not finished with the building part of it. I still have to make the exhaust pipes and figure out some facsimile of the but end of the gear box which is exposed on the short tail version of this car. I cut slots in the nose to more or less mimic the real deal but I won't be putting the fig lamps in the center as on the real car. I worked on tidying up the hoop of the rear clamshell as well as adding the depressions of the rear heat vents. I also cleaned up the rear wheel wells. Finally I decided to enlarge the rear fins more in proportion to the real car and it served to make it look a bit longer which is good because I'm actually working this with a smaller than to scale wheel base on this. I feel like the proportions are about as good as I can get them. Again, lots more to do. Next up is to finish off the windshield hoop so it will hold the windscreen. Also next up is to make the driver. On the Jag I have "Guillermo Del Torso" since he's cut off at the hips. This one will just be the top of the chest and two arms so I'll nick name him something like "Armand Chester." There is not a lot of room in there.

Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3421-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3424-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3426-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    he who has the coolest toys, wins!!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    he who has the coolest toys, wins!!

Thanks! I think that is the distinction with my builds. I've never been able to sink a lot of coin into any hobby I've had, and the beginnings of my RC hobby came from a very nice toy-class Nikko that my wife got on clearance for me because I couldn't walk through the mall and not stop in the hobby shop. (I tried to keep my dreweling to a minimum, but it was obvious to her!) It was indeed a cool toy, but it was a buggy and I ended up modifying it to onroad because I love sports cars, GT's and the like. I learned a few things and got a little help from a friend as well as picked up some salvage gear and now I am into a hobby class car on a budget. It is still in essence - a toy, but it's sparked my imagination and so here I am. It's as close to owning a Ferrari as I will ever come as is the Jag is as close to owning one of those. Thankfully my brother in law owns one of both and I've gotten to drive two of the Ferrari's he's owned. I'm good with that!

Ferrari 512 S Analog
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Tail lights are a bit of a challenge for this. I have nothing ready made and my access to a hobby shop is limited as the local one closed and the nearest on the list is 75 miles away, the next one 96 mlles away and no time for a road trip. I found some expired over the counter tablets at home that had a pill bubble just the right size. So I tried to think of ways to tint them. I tried coloring them in with markers and filling with a clear glue. The red was okay but the orange was not dark enough. So I decided to see if I could color the clear glue with food coloring. It is Duco cement and it took the color but clotted up a bit. Final trial was using clear 5 minute epoxy Ferrari 512 S Analog . It took the color and stayed the same consistency so the next challenge was to get it in the pill bubble. We had some empty syringes from dog medication and I loaded one up with the orange and one up with the red. Filled the bubbles with no trouble and let them harden. The trim bezels were the next challenge. I went with a technique I used previously. Hammered some solder wire flat and straightened it. Then cut to the proper length and wrapped it around a tube of the same size and made sure it was as round as possible. Before shaping it I sanded it with very fine sandpaper to shine it up and get rid of any hammer marks. What you see is what I got. They let light through pretty well. The red lenses are perhaps too dark so I'll have to search for similar size pill bubbles and make another pair, but it will be easier this next time.

Ferrari 512 S Analog-512-tail-lights-1-jpeg

Ferrari 512 S Analog-512-tail-lights-2-jpeg

Ferrari 512 S Analog
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Nice!

In addition to pill bubbles, some craft stores sell "Google Eyes" to glue on to things to make faces, like on dolls, . . . Also? Kleen Klay, or other craft clays, (not water based ceramic), can be rolled out and depressions made into them, for casting Ferrari 512 S Analog your resin Ferrari 512 S Analog into? (I learned this one from a pattern maker who worked at Oakley Eyewear!!)

Mixing colors is a little tricky, you probably realized that X amount of tinted resin Ferrari 512 S Analog looks darker if its twice as thick? Like in the syringe? The "Trick" is to test while your mixing in the color, drops about the size that you'll be wanting, placed on a white background should allow you to judge better how saturated the color is?

I hope you have a large black-top to play/race on!! Beautiful model!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Thanks very much. I never thought of making molds from craft clay. I might give that one a try. Indeed, the color issue was tricky as the so called "yellow" food coloring is actually orange and you make food items yellow by using very little of it. My first test were way too dark and the current red lights are a bit too dark for me but I had no more pill bubbles - until I found a couple more strays of the same otc meds in a basket at home so I am going to try to lighten the color and pour some new red lenses. I may do some Kraft Klay molds just to give it a try too. Thanks for the tip.

Ferrari 512 S Analog
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Thanks! I need the encouragement! This thing still needs lots of work. Mocked up a rear view mirror and the intake stacks and coolant overflow tank (at least that's what I think it is), and started mocking up the driver. Because of the battery placement my driver has to be on the left side which is a compromise since the other bodies I've built are left hand drive too.

Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3439-jpg

The real deal
    Ferrari 512 S Analog-ferrari-512-rear-window-jpg

Not sure as to why the intake trumpets are clear on some cars of this period. I remember seeing for the first time watching the movie, Lemans w Steve McQueen. I don't think it is to see out the back because there is so little visibility to begin with. I am guessing it is actually a safety thing as in if there is a fire in the engine compartment they will see that more easily. Anybody have any ideas?

Driver and mirror - a work in progress Ferrari 512 S Analog .
    Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3441-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. jampertim's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Тимофей
    very beauty project!
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by jampertim View Post
    very beauty project!
    Thanks. I'm having fun with it and hope to finish all the build work and fabrication soon - perhaps the end of November. The body has some rough places that need to be worked on and that will take a good bit of time once the other bits are built.

Ferrari 512 S Analog
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    The back end of this car presents some challenges since it is open and my particular chassis doesn't afford much room back there either. On the real car the exhaust pipes drape neatly over the rear suspension on either side of the transmission and the pipes closest to the transmission actually end so as to almost not be seen at all. The only pipes visible are the headers from the back half of the engine and they end just even with the body work. That was not going to be easy to do and I decided I liked having 2 and 2 coming out each side so I deviated. Because of the cramped space making tubed pipes turned out too difficult because I have to make a right angle bend in a small space so the tubes either split or crimped - that despite using annealed brass with sand Ferrari 512 S Analog inside so I went with automotive vacuum hose with a piece of aluminum wire inside. The aluminum wire is for wire ties on chain link fencing and runs about $5.50 a pack. Plenty left over, but way cheaper than trying to buy that wire from an industrial supply place which only sells it in big spools.

Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3462-jpg

The transmission cap was made from varied thickness styrene Ferrari 512 S Analog and is a grand approximation. The pipes were painted and fixed to a piece of square tubing and were attached to an L shaped piece of clear plastic along with the transmission end cap so it looks like it's floating similar to the real car.

Ferrari 512 S Analog-ferrari-512s-rear-view-jpg

My render is not so elegant as the real thing - but hey it is what it is. Fun and not too complicated.

Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3459-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3460-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog-img_3461-jpg

Ferrari 512 S Analog
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very "Cool!"
    QUOTE QUOTE #27