Close

Builder Last Online: Oct 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-09-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Attribution Scratch Built
      Build in Progress

[B]VW Beetle / PickUp Truck

[/B]I recently purchased a lot of RC equipment at a flea market, including one this very nice decade-old Losi XXX NT Nitro chassis.

VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpeg

A 1968 VW Beetle was the vehicle in which I learned to drive; so I began looking for inspiration images to gather ideas for a unique Beetle- based body.
      Since this is a truck chassis, the body would need to be lengthened. This extended cab Beetle truck is the image that solidified the design.

The Beetle truck does have a historical reference. Early Beetle chassis were modified and used for military vehicles.

These Bugs also have the mojo that I'm looking for...

VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpegVW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpegVW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpeg

As a starting point, a Tamiya VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis Beetle body is purchased on eBay as a donor. The rest of the parts will be hand fabricated or come from the parts bin.

VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpg

The body is primed so pencil lines can be drawn on the body. Using a razor knife, the body is sectioned about a third of the way past the B pillar. The rear fenders are carefully removed. They will be used on the truck bed.

Black styrene VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis is cut in strips, bent to the radius of the Beetle roof, and glued into place with two-part styrene VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis adhesive.

The glued sections are highly reinforced from the inside. This way, the body won't crack as Bondo is applied and sanding VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis ensues.

Bondo body filler is the modeler's friend, but only when it is applied in very thin layers. With a sanding VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis block loaded with 120 grit sandpaper, the contours are matched. 220 grit is used to smooth the surfaces.

Build Photos

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Looking good.

Ive got a Sand VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis Scorcher I'm going to finish one of these days.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    great project. Love the Idea and it's really starting to take shape. Looking forward to seeing more :)

Gary
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    [B]Body Building!
    [/B]
    I wish I had taken a few more images during the building of the bed, but I became so focused on my work that I forgot! This is the culmination of a single night of play. Just note that the bed is much easier to build than the extension to the cab...straight lines everywhere. It is very important to keep the construction square. Once the two part adhesive sets up, it is very difficult to go back and repair.
    Here we see that the bed parts have been cut, reinforcements added, and the whole bed adhered into place. The joints are still very rough at this point.

Cardboard templates are are used for the wheel cutouts and the rear fenders are cemented into place. A bit of material is removed the the inner fenders to make sure that they are parallel with the bed sides. The body is shown here being fitted onto the chassis; the center points of the cylinder head and both shock towers are marked under the bed. Working from the center outward, the reliefs are cut into the bed floor. The holes will allow engine heat to escape and the body to be mounted level on the chassis.

There is a bit of kick back under the tailgate which helps the visual balance of the bed. The longer cab section and short bed prove to be a good choice for this chassis...the proportions seem to work well.

VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis
    Attached Images Attached Images VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpeg 
    Last edited by Dougritt; 04-10-16 at 04:51 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    [B]"Gentlemen, Start Your Engines
    [/B]
    When building static display cars from brass, I don't add drivers. But with radio controlled vehicles, scale dudes with helmets really add some needed realism when they are racing around...cars just don't drive themselves.

Tamiya VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis
    makes these cool guys available in small kits...so I bought two...one for a driver and one for the navigator.
    To fill in the recesses where screws are used, I use this method:
    Fill the holes with baking soda, then drop Cyano Acrylate (Super Glue) into the powder. After a brief puff of smoke and a little heating from a chemical reaction, the mixture hardens in a white material very close in consistency to Styrene VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis . Just sand VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis smooth and paint!

The navigator has had his arms removed with a Dremel VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis
    Moto Tool...

...and Bondo is added. The gives him the appearance of riding along instead of driving.

VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpegVW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpeg

A template is created for the interior platform of the car. Room is needed below for receivers and servos. A template is made for the instrument panel too; this part is supported by two buttresses. The petrol barrel is lathed from a rod of ABS plastic and painted red. The driver wears a retro Bell helmet and anxiously takes the helm...

The barrel is attached from below with self tapping screws.

Last edited by Dougritt; 04-10-16 at 03:14 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    [B]Make Mine Scale

[/B]RC manufacturers often fall short in getting the proper scales correct. The 1/10 scale Beetle from Charisma is much larger that the 1/10 scale Beetle from Tamiya VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis . Often 1/10 scale vehicles are identical in size to 1/8 scale vehicles. Sometimes the vehicle categories don't even have a real life counterpart; "Truggies" are one example.

Racing buggies often have bright color wheels which work well in competition, but are a real disappointment visually...just take a look at the first image in this thread!

After searching a while on eBay, I found a great deal on these alloy wheels which look very much like VW rims mounted with the same tires as shown in a few of the inspiration images. A set of four wheels and tires were $22 US, mailed from China. I am very happily surprised by their high quality.

Since the RC industry has moved from pin drive to hex drive, I purchased this $5 adapter kit from Losi. I have to give kudos to the company; they do a great job of still providing parts- even ten years after manufacture!

Last edited by Dougritt; 04-10-16 at 04:53 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    [B]"Let There Be Lights!"
    [/B]
    Usually I would scratch build VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis most parts, but it seems that RC accessories are so cheap online, it is hard to justify spending time to build them. These LED lights and roof rack were about $6 online!

Two colors of primer VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis are used and then a layer of olive drab paint. Since the model will feature distressed finishes, the layers will resemble layers of past paint jobs. The styrene VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis is red, then black primer VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis , then grey primer VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis , then olive drab.
    Here is a test fit of interior and roof rack.

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    [B]Parts Bin Paradise
    [/B]
    Here is a parts bin winch that fit nicely into the license plate recess with a little bit of trimming.

That small driver figure from Tamiya VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis also had some covered lights on the sprue VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis ...luckily, they can be used in the headlight position. They are glued, the mold lines VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis sanded away, sprayed with primer VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis and paint, then placed permanently with two part adhesive.[B]

[/B]The Beetle body has holes for old-fashioned cotter pin mounting to the chassis. They have all been filled using the baking soda / super glue method. A magnet system will be used to mount the body into place.

Here is the Beetle truck with a coat of olive drab paint, being examined on the chassis.

A chamfer is is created on the extended cab window to give it a look of completion. The styrene VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis section is now blended into the body and is hidden under paint. A parts bin Jerry can is screwed into place from the inside of the bed.

I found some cool old decals from a vintage Tamiya VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis Wild Willy. They will work very nicely to attain the military jeep look.

A few images after the decals are in place. Using 320 and 400 grit sandpaper, the finish is slowly sanded off in strategic locations. Here in South Carolina, just a look out the window provides good examples of sun ravaged paint!

Attached Images Attached Images VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpeg  VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpeg  VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis-image-jpeg 
    Last edited by Dougritt; 04-13-16 at 12:20 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    wow Doug had no Idea you were into R/C cars/trucks! what a true 1:1 VW Beetle / Pick Up Truck Scratch Build - Nitro Chassis look you have there. I'm the same way about the "scale looks" of R/C cars and trucks. Too many fall short. Again great work on the detail Doug! your hard efforts really show on this gem!
    Gary
    Last edited by VintageModMan; 04-13-16 at 12:28 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Thanks so much Gary! I am still getting my shop ready after a move to South Carolina, so a short project was in order before I get back to working in brass. There is still more to come on this Beetle Truck!
    Doug

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    [B]Some final studio shots:

[/B]

QUOTE QUOTE #11