Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-01-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

As the title says I've now stopped using BA screws and want to convert to metric , wheres the best places to start looking ? Please some feedback.

Sean
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    You are very welcome..always glad to help
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. 5thwheel's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    William
    Quote Originally Posted by FastenerGuy View Post
    This place might be able to help you find what you're looking for:

https://us.fastener-suppliers.com/supplier/29/

I tried this and got a warning that this may be a fake US company.

Bill
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I do confirm. I however have a dumb question: why an US company is selling metric bolts and nuts?
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I would guess to cater to the Pocher crowd initially as replacement hardware.

Perhaps you could ask Bob directly.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Haddewade's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Mark
    Hey guys,

My store is http://www.modellbauershop.de

Translation needed? Just ask.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Even in the case to drift off topic....Is there still a need to hang on inches? Even for scientists is metric the way to go. Have you ever handled an Italian car and British bike in the Garage at the same time? Wrenches over and over, driving one into dispair.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.Star View Post
    Even in the case to drift off topic....Is there still a need to hang on inches? Even for scientists is metric the way to go. Have you ever handled an Italian car and British bike in the Garage at the same time? Wrenches over and over, driving one into dispair.
    The original Austin/Rover Metro was the ultimate - Some of the block threads were BSW, the rest of the engine was UNC/UNF, and the body metric.
    I have all the above in my toolkit, as well as BA...
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Most Engineering suppliers should be able to supply metric screws nuts and bolts. Very small ones may be difficult to obtain.
    Roger, in answer to your question about why is an American Company Supplying Metric. Most countries outside the US and Canada use the metric system. So most of your imported cars will use Metric fasteners etc.
    I was brought up on feet and inches, BA, BSF, BSC, Whitworth, UNC, UNF and BSP threads when apprenticed in the 60's, and the UK converted to Metric in the mid Seventies. Metric is so much easier to use than all the fractions of inches etc. Surprised that the US and Canada have not converted by now.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugatti Fan View Post
    Metric is so much easier to use than all the fractions of inches etc. Surprised that the US and Canada have not converted by now.
    Oh! right are you! By the way, most cars manufactured in the US have now metric fasteners; however people are still using inches. Years ago, I had a supplier for used parts in Canada; when I was giving a dimension to him, I had to convert in inches, even if Canada is using the metric system since years.
    At the end of the seventies, I went to vacation in the US. Most distance panels on the freeway had both indications: metric and conventional with the idea to introduce the metric system soon. It just failed; distances are now in miles only in the US, but metric in Canada.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Interesting to hear from Roger that many US made cars are now using the Metric System. Well Roger you live and you learn so I stand corrected!
    An oddity here in the UK is that although we went metric years ago all our road signs are still in miles. Funny old world isn't it?
    Must be my age, but I can still mentally visualise 10 feet better than 3 meters. Old habits die hard.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27