Close

Ford 9 inch differential (in 1/3 scale)
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Ford 9 inch differential (in 1/3 scale) Ford 9 inch differential (in 1/3 scale) Ford 9 inch differential (in 1/3 scale) Ford 9 inch differential (in 1/3 scale) Ford 9 inch differential (in 1/3 scale)
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-03-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Gentlemen,
      In xken's thread about the Allerton steam pumper there was some conversation about my rearend looking good at the NAMES show. While this may have been taken out of context (never) I thought that maybe I could enlighten everyone.

Many years ago when I built the 302 V-8 engine I would get asked from time to time "when are you going to build the rest of the car?" To this I would respond "probably won't happen."
      Now a couple of years ago I built a 1/3 size Borg-Warner T-5 transmission and when I would put it out for display I would get asked "when are you going to build the rest of the car?" To this I would respond "probably won't happen."
      Well this winter's project was to build a 1/3 scale 9 inch Ford differential. I had all 3 pieces on display at the NAMES show the end of April and upon seeing them people asked the same question. This time I said, "I'm working on it." Somewhere in the future I hope to have the full chassis complete and eventually turn it into a 32 Ford street rod.

The project got started when I was at a buddies house for our weekly car get-together. Over in the corner I spotted this 9 inch center section sitting in a plastic bucket. The winter idea was sparked and I took the 'heavy' bucket home. Over the next couple of weeks I cleaned it up, pulled it apart and measured and made sketches of all the parts. Upon completion I sat down with my Cad program and started making formal drawings.

With the full sized diff having hypoid gearing and while having seen this type of gearing many times I really didn't know what was involved in recreating it so it was off to Youtube and Google. What I came to find out was that hypoid gearing is a gear generating process that involves way more than the home shop machinist can create so an alternative gearing setup was investigated. I found in some old magazines a construction article with the attendant math to create what is known as skew bevel gearing. With a lot of math help I was able to make the required cutters and cut a test set from Delrin. With the gearing proven I went ahead and cut the gears from steel (ring gear) and brass (pinion).
      Had I not been able to cut gears the project wouldn't have gone any farther.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Hi Bandit,
    Yes I go there quite frequently.
    gbritnell

QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Beautiful work as usual George.
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. tassydave's Avatar Member
    Name
    David
    A stunning piece of work,I envy people who have that level of skill.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Tony's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tony
    Incredible skills, as a machinist and model maker
    It's easier to destroy, than it is to create
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. cronic222's Avatar Member
    Name
    joseph
    totally amazing i need to take a machine class
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. superbike-shaun's Avatar Member
    Name
    shaun
    George, absolutely brilliant work, I shared a house with a machinist,(aerospace) in el Segundo C.A. and lord let me tell you, some of the stuff that came out of his head, well, lets just say I "get" what you do!
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. cronic222's Avatar Member
    Name
    joseph
    wow totally amazing work , im trying to that with a hemi cuda just spent around $1500 on a mini lathe and mill and some tooling , can i ask if you got cnc machines or is it by hand , any way looks amazing ty
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Hi Cronic222,
    No, everything is by hand. I have a drawing program on my computer and I draw all the tangent radii and make myself a chart with the x-y coordinates. When I start machining I go to those points to develop the shapes. Once machined then everything is filed and burred by hand.
    gbritnell

QUOTE QUOTE #24