Close

Builder Last Online: Dec 2012 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-28-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

[B]I just finished a Rudy Kouhoupt 5 Cylinder Radial Airplane Engine that runs on compressed air. I thought I was ready to take on the Bentley BR2 by L.K. Blackmore, not! The instructions on the Bentley are not as detailed to me as Rudy's are. My general question is, can anyone send me in the right direction to find kits, castings or instructions for model metal machining. I've done a few kits from P.M. Research and am looking for other ideas to get into. I like to find instructions on how to build something out of bar stock like Rudy's plans. Thanks in advance for any advise.

davidyat@roadrunner.com

[/B]
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 5thwheel's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    William
    Maybe you are ready for some operating engines etc. Check out the book, The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos and the book Two Shop Masters by Frank McLean and Philip Duclos. Lots of machining projects and stuff. Much from bar stock.

Bill
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. golddustpeak's Avatar Member
    Name
    Bob
    There are a lot of great plans and or kits still available today.
    Here are a few that many people have successfully used.
    Upshur Engine Works
    BOB SHORES SMALL GAS ENGINES
    J.E. Howell Model Engine Plans Home Page

The above suggestion by 5thwheel offers many great plans and instructions as well.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Hi Dave,
    The first thing I have to ask is what type of engines are interested in? There are so many of them out there, I.C., steam, singles, twins, multis, inlines, opposed, radials. Well you get the point. To make the jump from one of Rudy's engines to the Bentley is a huge leap. There are drawings and castings, if one prefers to go that way, out there for a myriad of projects. I started my machining hobby with castings kits from Stuart and the like and over the years turned to designing and fabricating my own engines from bar stock. Having built a Rudy engine you are already familiar with using bars stock and also machining castings from P.M. research.
    I have drawings for several engines that I designed that are much more complicated than one of Rudy's but not near as much as the Bentley.
    Let me know what your preference is and maybe I can steer you in the right direction.
    gbritnell
    QUOTE QUOTE #4