Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 11-18-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello

I have times interesting project in attacked taken.

Daimler 1885 model engine, Replika on a scale approx. 1:3

(Picture from the original engine Mercedes the Benz museum in Stuttgart)

“The original, called “the Standuhr”, was one of the first engines built by God-dear Daimler. It was used as drive of the “gasoline-driven engine carriage” and a boat. It was the first “high-speed” combustion engine. At that time approx. 700 rpm were meant.

Particularly interesting is also the controlling of the exhaust valve. This takes place via a cam disc, whereby a slide ring in a slot of the crankshaft operates the valve via a bumper. Functions also in the model perfectly. “

Technical data of the model:
      Height of the engine: 320mm,
      Flywheel diameter: 95mm, drilling 20mm

Manufacturer: classic engine
      Yardstick: 1:3
      Price approx.: 259€ (cast part-corrode 11 parts + accessory kit 4 parts)

Additional material necessarily e.g.: Brass round material, brass tubes, screws etc. (not in cast part-corrode contained).
      The 15 parts from cast part-corrode must all still be worked on, additionally must still 69 further individual parts be made.
      On the basis the plans provided, for a model construction amateur, with experiences in the rotation and milling, no problem should represent.
      A CD with photos to the individual sections can be acquired additionally.

Interesting, full-functional model engine from aluminum casting Daimler 1885 model engine, Replika on a scale approx. 1:3, fully functionally , iron and brass. Presupposed one has entrance to a turning lathe and a milling machine.

First I show you the individual parts like I it from Modelengines, castin kits received. On the side can see to her also a video of the running engine.

Crank case (exterior)

Crank case (inside)

Steering box, wheel, cylinder head

Crankcheek 2x

Control disk, bush, piston

Piston rod, crank handle, piston ring, O-ring, control segment

When have I the crank case inside turned off first, afterwards have I a wave by the central hole put and bolts. Subsequently, I aligned and pinned the two halves. to the conclusion I could bore the holes for the screws.

Jens

Daimler 1885 model engine, Replika on a scale approx. 1:3, fully functionally
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello Egon

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Beautiful machine, will you make a youtube film so we can hear it say puf puf.
    Yes, I will make. Presupposed I get it to run.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Beautiful work Jens! This scale machining completely astounds me, can't wait to hear this beast roar...or huff and puff as may be more accurate. LOL
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

Today is the first part of the carburetor at the row.

Pipe, carburetor housing (curved pipe), carburetor main jet, carburetor nozzle needle, feather/spring and nozzle needle owner

I soldered the three pipes together and stuck the needle I into the owner.

The feather/spring attach and the nozzle needle owner in screw. Thus the first part of the carburetor is finished.

And in such a way this construction unit at its position at the engine looks out.

Thus the engine functions the technical designer with this part of the carburetor vorm to original correctly later deviated.
    If I want to start my model must I down to the nozzle a hose attach, whose is put later other end directly into the tank.
    With the original there is not this nozzle in such a way, here. Also the hose does not belong there actually. But for a functioning engine one must probably die compromises.

To the conclusion some more for the function of the nozzle.
    One turns at the wheel (1) changes, by the thread, the position of the needle (2) to the passage/hole (4).
    If air is sucked in now by the cylinder, it flows at the cross hole (3) past.
    Depending on like the needle is adjusted, gasoline is more or less sucked in.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

Carburetor part of 2

Today I manufactured the first construction unit for the air regulation.
    Air automatic controller housing (L= 26mm D= 10mm), pipe (L= 22mm D= 6mm), threaded sleeves M2

The individual parts became then to solder.

In the turning lathe I could perforate now the pipe, which I had soldered into the housing.

And to the conclusion the finished polished construction unit.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. Serhat's Avatar Member
    Name
    Serhat
    Hi Jens,

Perfect machining . I am working on the same project and almost completed the crankcase. Now working on the cranks. I have a question regarding the holes on one of the crank. There are 3 x 10mm holes and 2 x 6mm holes. What are they for? Is it for balancing ?

Thanks
    Serhat
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

Around the 2nd part of the carburetor completely to place now still air automatic controller employment is missing and the air automatic controller covers.

I soldered the employment together from two parts. I engraved the markings in the cover.

Into the air automatic controller I could clean-put the employment and screw on it the cover.

Over the lever I can stop now the air supply.

Depending on like the drilling in the employment, to the pipe in the air automatic controller stands, can regulate I stepless the air supply now.

To the conclusion I could put building group of the 2nd part of the carburetor on the 1st part.

@ Serhat
    Yes. I think also that the holes to balance in cranks am,
    On the side with the piston rod the crankshaft is heavier, therefore one adjusts the additional weight with the holes.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. Tony's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tony
    Always a pleasure to watch you put your skills to work,everything is precision perfect
    It's easier to destroy, than it is to create
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

I now again made the cover of the carburetor.
    Thus it looks in the original out.

With an engraving machine I engraved the new cover.

And in such a way the new cover looks now out.

Now I had to still bend a few pipes. In addition I bought a tube bending fixture.
    The suitable bending wheel for the 6mm of pipes I turned from brass.

Thus the result looks out.

I could solder the pipes then with the cases.

And to the conclusion I could install all parts to the engine.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

It continues to go now with a support plate for a container.

I soldered the three individual parts.

And now I could screw the support plate to the engine.

Next I turned a large container (diameter 35 mm, length 80mm) and a small (diameter 20 mm, length 35mm).
    with its model the containers out of sheet metal “Classic motors.at” soldered together. My turned parts please me however better.

The individual parts can be put into one another and bolted with a threaded rod.

Over the function of this container, with the original engine, I cannot anything say. The container becomes the enterprise my model - engine does not need.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

Since I do not possess a dividing head, I had to make do times again with one template without. Center punching Daimler 1885 model engine, Replika on a scale approx. 1:3, fully functionally around the holes for rivets.

Into the holes I stuck then rivets.

And now I could screw the container to the model.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

Today the supply with the accumulator, the cables and the glow plug came.

The glow plug

If I the accumulator attach now glow the candle.

Here can to her see where the glow plug into the cylinder head one screws.

Otherwise I prepared the last days already once all individual parts for the tank.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

The individual parts, for which tank, have I soldered. Subsequently, I could install the construction unit to my model.

If I want to let the engine run at the end, I must connect the tank with the carburetor with a hose.

So the gasoline from the tank can be sucked in over the carburetor.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

Today I build the burner housing.

I made the first plate from 0.5 mm brass sheet.

Subsequently, I bent the first sheet metal. And two side parts low-cut.

I soldered and sanded the sheet metals then.

Are missing still the remaining small articles.

The finished burner box.
    Closed:

Open:

To the conclusion I screwed everything to my model.

Now vehicle identification plate is missing and a gasoline line then is finished my model.

Jens

Last edited by Bender_13; 02-22-13 at 09:31 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. Bender_13's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hello

Now I engraved still another vehicle identification plate.
    I found a vehicle identification plate only on some few original photos. But this small detail has me so well fallen that such a sign also on my engine had.

In addition I cut myself out first one template without, after an original photo. Alone to cut out the individual letters I 2 hours used, which I glued on then a mother board.

With this I engraved brass sheet on an engraving machine a 0,5mm 0.1 mm deeply.
    The burin which I to engrave used has a cut of 0.1 mm.

My vehicle identification plate is 16 x 10 mm.

Jens

QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Incredible..

Cheers
    Michael
    Last edited by 3.Star; 02-23-13 at 06:57 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #46