Close

Grizzly Tools.  Buy or Not?
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Grizzly Tools.  Buy or Not? Grizzly Tools.  Buy or Not? Grizzly Tools.  Buy or Not? Grizzly Tools.  Buy or Not? Grizzly Tools.  Buy or Not?
Accepted Payment Types

Builder Last Online: Dec 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-08-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I've been using Sherline equipment for years but I want to add a new lathe and mill that will enable me to work on bigger pieces.Does anyone have any experience with the Grizzly lathe and Mill?Anyone have any recommendations instead of Grizzly?Thanks. Andy.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi Andy, I have a Grizzly 13x40 lathe that's going on 20 years now. Nothing fancy but it sure works. They have good customer support too, the one part that broke was replaced with a phone call.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Giovanni's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Giovanni
    Vintage South Bend is a good alternative with a huge following and parts availablilty.

Regards,
    Giovanni
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Hi Andy,
    About a year ago I sold my round column mill that I've had since the early 70's and purchased a Grizzly knee mill. It' s like a baby Bridgeport with a round ram. The quality of the machine is quite good. The table is 8x30 and when I finally got the mill into my basement shop and put back together I indicated (trammed) the table. I found that the head was out .0015 in an 8" swing so I put some shim stock under the ram mount to get it perfect. I'm sure the amount that it was out wouldn't have caused a problem but I like everything as close to perfect as possible.
    As far as the rest of the machine I'm quite happy with it. Fit and finish are very good and it cuts very smoothly. My round column mill left tool marks in the workpiece.
    I could have bought a good used Bridgeport mill or clone mill for the same price or less but I wouldn't have been able to get it into my basement shop so this was the best alternative.
    gbritnell
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I ended up getting a new mill and lathe from Littlemachineshop. The Grizzly pieces looked great but were just a tick too big for my 8' x 5' "shop" (which used to be a storage closet.)

The new tools show up tomorrow and plan to spend the weekend setting up a calibrating.

A.

When I was young I used to say "When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"

I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Putting the beast together is half the fun.
    I hope you got good indexing equipment.
    The indexing detents for the Unimat are difficult to use.

Enjoy the Toy!
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I'm looking forward to all the assembly and calibration. I acutally enjoy that kind of nonsense.

My big challenge is getting the machines into my shop. Now when I say "shop" i'm talking about a 40 square foot closet with a single 30" wide door. It's not even big enough to get an engine lift in there.

To give you a sense of how small this space is, I was standing outside the door when I took the picture below!

So somehow I'm going to have to lift the machines, attach them to their bases and then get them into the closet and onto the bench. Once that's done, everything else will be fun.

I live in an apartment complex so a ceiling hoist is not an option. This should be lots of fun indeed.

Grizzly Tools.  Buy or Not?-marksshop3-jpg

Last edited by Andym; 10-26-12 at 10:40 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Giovanni's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Giovanni
    Very well organized ! Good job for a small shop.

Regards,
    Giovanni
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. LittleMachineShop.com (LMS) is a great place to deal with. I've purchased items from them before. Quick shipping and excellent products.

I looked at getting one of the LMS lathes, but instead went with a MicroMark 7x16 MicroLux mini-lathe. It has all the same features of the LMS HiTorque 7x mini-lathes, but with a longer bed capacity (16" vs. 14") and with a 20% coupon code @ MicroMark, it was considerably cheaper than the LMS offerings. I ordered a 14"x40" tool table from Grizzly at the same time, which works perfectly for the small space I have to work in.

I've only recently (two weeks ago) gotten my 7x16 lathe set up and running; I've made a few test cuts and I have to say I am very impressed with it. I'm still in the process of adjusting and getting things set (as close to) perfect, but I have no doubt in the capability of this mini-lathe. I'm sure you'll find the same with the LMS unit.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I spent last night cleaning all the packing grease off of all my new toys and trying to arrange my metal shop. I never realized how small the Sherline stuff was until I started handling these larger parts. I think my 5 inch, 4-jaw chuck weighs more than my entire Sherline lathe!

Tonight I'll try and make some chips and see how that goes.

When I was young I used to say "When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"

I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10