Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-19-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I want to make a blower housing in 1/8 and I'm short on raw materials. Can I laminate some thick Evergreen and machine that?
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Lee, hopefully Jeff will pick up on this. He's done some incredible scratchbuilding with styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? .

Take it away Jeff...............
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I gotcha Rick.

Hey Lee. If you mean can you laminate thick styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? sheets and carve them into a particular part, the answer is absolutely yes. The thickest styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? I've been able to find is 3mm thick. Anything greater than that, I laminate the sheets with plenty of liquid glue and then put the pieces in a vise and squeeze until I can't squeeze it any more. I leave the stock in the vise for about 15-30 minutes and let it set completely overnight. If I want thicker parts, I'll laminate 2 pieces with loads of liquid, stick it in a vise and squeeze, take it out of the vise, laminate another sheet, stick it back in the vise and repeat as many times as I need to get the full thickness of my part and then some so I have something to carve down. Below are some pictures of some of the things I've made the way I just described.

The bell housing alone is made of 5 laminated 3mm sheets and then carved.

The head is made of 3 laminated sheets carved down and the timing chain cover is 2 laminated sheets and carved down. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, let me know.

Here's what's under the valve cover.

Unfortunately, this engine fell off a shelf and that was that.
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 08-20-09 at 02:49 AM.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Hi Lee, just to add to what was already stated, yes you can laminate and machine styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? . I realize this is at the other end of the spectrum as far as large scale goes but I have built several variations of Revell Is Evergreen styrene machineable? 's old 1/48th pickup trucks. These were almost complete remakes of everything but the bodies. On this one I laminated 1/8 sheet styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? and milled the block out. You can see the joint line where the pieces were glued together. I'll just post a couple of pictures as I don't want to totally hijack this thread.
    gbritnell
    Attached Images Attached Images Is Evergreen styrene machineable?-engine-blk-1-jpg  Is Evergreen styrene machineable?-blk-hds-1-jpg  Is Evergreen styrene machineable?-blk-hds-3-jpg  Is Evergreen styrene machineable?-carb-base-jpg  Is Evergreen styrene machineable?-eng-fin-lft-jpg  Is Evergreen styrene machineable?-eng-fin-view-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks. It's been a while since I've machined anything. The supercharger is a roots type, with a case that is half round on each side, like this:

Since I don't have a half-round cutting tool big enough, I decided to make two big pieces of half-round styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? . I laminated some .100" Evergreen with liquid cement, but used a few drops of CA for the middle. After it is turned on the lathe to a cylinder shape, and gets the fins/ribs cut, I'll pry the two halves apart with a razor, clean up the remaining CA, then glue styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? in between them.

BTW this is for a TDR Is Evergreen styrene machineable? Offenhauser. I have a book with several photos of Supercharged Offys, a couple by Miller/Drake and a couple of privateer drag cars.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbritnell View Post
    Hi Lee, just to add to what was already stated, yes you can laminate and machine styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? . I realize this is at the other end of the spectrum as far as large scale goes but I have built several variations of Revell Is Evergreen styrene machineable? 's old 1/48th pickup trucks. These were almost complete remakes of everything but the bodies. On this one I laminated 1/8 sheet styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? and milled the block out. You can see the joint line where the pieces were glued together. I'll just post a couple of pictures as I don't want to totally hijack this thread.
    gbritnell
    THAT is really cool. Size is irrelevant, it's still machining laminated styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? .

I've been away from modeling for too long. It's good to get some bench time and get the little machines fired up again. I'm really excited about the Offy project.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    Jeff-
    What is the block made of on that Olds?

edit: In the "Similar Threds" link at the bottom of the page, I saw a couple of your tutorials on styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? . There was some discussion on different liquid cements. I have used Testors in the past, but got some Weld-On 3 on the advice of another builder. I like that stuff a lot better.
    Last edited by Lee in Texas; 08-20-09 at 09:34 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Lee. The block is also styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? . Its basically the 3mm or 1/8 inch thick styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? measured and cut, then glued together. The surface texture is also styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? strips and pieces glued right to the slabs. Originally I was doing a tutorial on the engine and where you see it end is where the piece took its fatal dive off the shelf. I'll probably go back and start a new one in the future and hopefully not lose it to gravity.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...le-engine.html

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...ds-rocket.html

Here are the two threads I did. If you need more info, just let me know.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    Another question: with enough curing Is Evergreen styrene machineable? time, will the glued-up block ever look like one solid piece when machined, as opposed to having soft spots where the joints are?
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Absolutely, Lee. The trick is all in the vise and the amount of liquid glue you use. I make sure I have a good amount of glue on the surface by brushing on a number of coats with a wide brush and then squeezing the heck out of the pieces. You should see the excess glue/plastic mix squeeze out of the joint all the way around. I leave the piece in the vise about 15 to 30 minutes but if you're really concerned, there's nothing wrong with letting it set under pressure overnight. I never had any real problem with soft spots. This is one time when rushing to get things done will jump up and bite you. If you do have a little defect, just add a little filler and sand Is Evergreen styrene machineable? it. You really shouldn't need much at all.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Lee,
    When I built my surfboard, I made the tail fin by laminating several pieces of styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? together with Tenax glue. Once it was dry (overnight) it was like one solid piece that I could sand Is Evergreen styrene machineable? and trim with no soft spots.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks, Jeff. I have a chunk glued up that was going to be an Offenhauser block, but then I found out about TDR Is Evergreen styrene machineable? 's kit. That was glued with Testor's, but then I found out about Weld-On 3. I may glue up some big chunks for future use, just to have it on hand. I like being able to glue it rather than using screws or solder.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    No problem, Lee. You should love that Weld On 3. That stuff is way better than the Testor's glue. Now I realize why you were talking about soft spots. I tried the Testor's glue once and wound up with problems. I use Plastruct because my LHS Is Evergreen styrene machineable? can't get the Weld On. It's just about as good as Weld On.Tenax will also work pretty good. Throw away the Testor's. P';,[p I did.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    I had forgotten about this thread. The blower housing didn't work out too well so the idea was forgotten about. I recently had an idea for another project so I tried laminating plastic again. This time it's a chunk 10 layers thick! I used Weld-On 3. I kept poking at the little globs that squished out to see when they would harden. I guess it's been about 10 days now. I just cleaned up 2 sides on the mill and it looks great. I was really concerned about soft spots and bubbles, but again, it looks great. I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. A coat of primer Is Evergreen styrene machineable? and a little sanding Is Evergreen styrene machineable? and no one would ever know it was once sheet plastic. This is nifty.
    Last edited by Lee in Texas; 07-29-10 at 11:20 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    If you're really squeezing those sheets together with plenty of glue, you should have no problem. You will see a few bubbles here and there but they'll all be incredibly minor.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15