Close

Is Evergreen styrene machineable?
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Is Evergreen styrene machineable? Is Evergreen styrene machineable? Is Evergreen styrene machineable? Is Evergreen styrene machineable? Is Evergreen styrene machineable?
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-19-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I want to make a blower housing in 1/8 and I'm short on raw materials. Can I laminate some thick Evergreen and machine that?
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    Something I've come across is that when I've glued a lot of styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? sheets together is that over time, the block shrinks, We are talking about years, but if you're going to put all this work into a model, you want it to last. Mind you, i didn't squeeze the block in a vice as you mentioned. Have you had anything like this happen to you?
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    The original question about is styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? machinable? Most of the posts seem to have described fabrication methods rather than machining.
    Yes it can be machined, but bear in mind the heat generated by drills, milling and lathe tools can actually melt the plastic.
    So slower speeds and lighter cuts should be the order of the day when using machines on styrene Is Evergreen styrene machineable? , especially if attempting to drill out plastic rod on a lathe. The plastic is liable to melt onto the drill bit.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Further to my last post a thought. If a potentiometer could be used between the mains electricity socket and the machine, this would enable variation to the machine speed for slowing it down for plastics machining independent of the machine's own gearing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19