Close

Thread: Where to start?

Builder Last Online: May 2010 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-18-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello, I'm blown away by the great work presented on this board. I could spend hours just looking at all the wonderful craftsmanship!

Last year, I inherited a Unimat set up, the lathe, as well as the vertical mill. It seems to have almost all of the accessories. It's been lanquishing in a box in the basement by my workbench since I brought it home. I don't really know where to start insofar as setting up the machine and learning how to use it to create miniature machines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
      Steven
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I suggest you start by purchasing this book, while it is not the same equipment many of the principles are the same. Also goggle their site and they may have some support resources for you.

Tabletop Machining

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Steve. Welcome to the site. You're one of the luckiest guys I know to have inherited a Unimate lathe with the mill. It's supposed to be one of the best out there. Follow what Ken recommends. He's one of the guys in the know about machining. That's a great book.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    Ask questions here, too. I also have small machines and very little experience. Your question could help another newbie...like me :)

I think it's great to see a forum for machining model parts.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by slee View Post
    Hello, I'm blown away by the great work presented on this board. I could spend hours just looking at all the wonderful craftsmanship!

Last year, I inherited a Unimat set up, the lathe, as well as the vertical mill. It seems to have almost all of the accessories. It's been lanquishing in a box in the basement by my workbench since I brought it home. I don't really know where to start insofar as setting up the machine and learning how to use it to create miniature machines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Steven
    Lee, what kind of a Unimat have you?

Mario
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Absolutely check out the book.

But also, just start trying things. As you look at various pieces, sub-assemblies and models in this forum, try and break it down into miniparts. For example, when you are looking at a scratch built Where to start? generator, look at the round parts versus the square parts. Then think to yourself how each of those parts got made and then finally consider how each of those parts got attached to each other.

A lot of first-time machinests make the mistake of looking at a very complicated finished part and concluding that it's too complicated for them. That complicated finished part, more often than not, is nothing more than a number of simple parts glued and soldered together.

Bottom line - (1) Read the book, (2) PUT ON YOUR SAFETY GOGGLES and (3) start making chips. As you begin to understand what each cutting tool does to metal you'll begin to understand how those seemingly complicated scratch built Where to start? pieces came together.

Andy.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    If you can locate a copy of Gerald Wingrove's book "The Complete Car Modeler 1" it is a great help in showing how one of the best modelers around breaks down complex parts into simple pieces. The examples will give you some insite and visualization into seeing the basic form in a complex part. It still requires a lot of work and practice to get right but it is not impossible. Everybody starts from simple beginnings one step at a time. Great satisfaction in seeing a metal part you have made that look like you intended.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    If you can locate a copy of Gerald Wingrove's book "The Complete Car Modeler 1".
    You beat me to it.

Try this (Unimat Lathe Projects from Gerald Wingrove). Ive learned allot from these pages.

Amazon has if for about $30.00
    Attached Images Attached Images Where to start?-db04228348a0164306f74110-_sl500_aa240_-jpg 
    Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 08-19-09 at 08:52 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    I haven't read that one by Mr. Wingrove so I only wrote of what I know. I Do need to get that one for my library.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. slee's Avatar Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Lucchini View Post
    ...what kind of a Unimat have you?

Mario
    Hi. It's a Unimat 3.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'm going to try and get some of those references. I've seen some aluminum and brass rod stock at the Pearl Where to start? Arts and Craft store so I guess that might be a good place to start with materials. I found a couple of metal blocks, they look like small, heavy 90 degree angle blocks, a micrometer, and a metal rule in the box as well as a small wooden box of files but they all look rusted.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10