Close

4 cylinder ohv engine
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

4 cylinder ohv engine 4 cylinder ohv engine 4 cylinder ohv engine 4 cylinder ohv engine 4 cylinder ohv engine
Accepted Payment Types

Builder Last Online: Jan 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-04-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I'll start off with pictures of my 4 cylinder OHV engine. This was my second multi cylinder internal combustion engine. I designed it myself and made a set of drawings for it. It's made entirely from bar stock, aluminum, brass and iron. The main components, block, oil pan and intake manifold are 6061 aluminum. The head and flywheel are iron. The valves and exhaust pipes are stainless steel. The water pump body, connecting rods and water connections are bronze. It has a splash oil system and full spark ignition (non glo-plug).
      The max rpm is around 6500. I say around because I just rev it and don't hold it there. The carburetor is based on the air bleed type used for RC planes. The bore is .750 and the stroke is .875. It has aluminum pistons with 2 iron compression rings. The distributor is hooked by linkage to the carburetor so that when the carb is opened the timing is advanced. It idles, if you want to call it that (1500 rpm) with the timing at about 10 advanced. When it revs up the timing goes to about 35 degrees. Here is a link to it running.
      gbritnell

Build Photos

4 cylinder ohv engine-4-cyl-1a-jpg  4 cylinder ohv engine-4-cyl-2a-jpg  4 cylinder ohv engine-4-cyl-3a-jpg  4 cylinder ohv engine-4-cyl-4a-jpg  4 cylinder ohv engine-4-cyl-5a-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm glad you decided to put up some pics of your work. I love what you did there.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Great to see that you have posted this engine; love the video too. Folks I saw this run at the NAMES show and it is better in real life. Post more of your work when you can.

Keep up the great work and thanks for your help with the gears for the Model T.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    WOW!!! Thanks for posting your motor.

I was just looking at the Holt engine you posted to the gallery. Can you tell us how you cast the distributor cap. It looks like its actually made from Bakelite. And do you do your own iron/aluminum casting 4 cylinder ohv engine ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thank you sir, I really have no words to describe how inspirational your post was for me. ;';;';
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Thanks for the accolades. Rather than overlap my projects in this thread I'll start a new one on the Holt. There's so much to tell about it that it needs a thread by itself. I have many WIP 4 cylinder ohv engine 's for the Holt so as time permits I'll post them with a detailed description of the work.
    gbritnell
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The stage is yours......
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    The distributor cap is actually a piece of 'plastic' type material that has a real high electrical quality to it. It's some type of phenolic material. It seems to work real well and doesn't carbon track inside the cap. As far as casting 4 cylinder ohv engine I don't do any of that. I was trained as a metal patternmaker so I have the knowledge but at this point don't need another hobby. I prefer to scratch build 4 cylinder ohv engine most of my stuff, it takes longer but I've been doing it so long it almost seems natural to do it that way. Casting 4 cylinder ohv engine is a good way of doing things if you plan to make more than several copies, much the same way as making resins for model cars.
    gbritnell
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. leo's Avatar Member
    Name
    leonardo
    First of all let me say , AMAZING ! you have incredible skill, i am looking at maybe starting a simple one cylinder ohv engine but i need to ask you what do you use to feed power to the distributor ? is it some kind of capacitor ?
    if you could please enlight me on this little detail ,
    thank you!
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Hi Leo,
    The original distributor had a set of points in it. I started out with an ignition system that consisted of a 12 volt automotive coil and a couple of ballast resistors to operated from a 12 volt motorcycle battery. It was a conventional system but miniaturized.
    Then came electronic ignitions operated by 6 volts. The nice thing about them was that they were small and weren't affected by any resistance in the points.
    The final iteration of the ignition is a fully electronic setup consisting of a Hall trigger with a timing wheel similar to the full sized distributors of the 70's. Once the bugs were worked out it has proven to be a very reliable ignition.
    George
    Attached Images Attached Images 4 cylinder ohv engine-distrib-1-jpg  4 cylinder ohv engine-distrib-3-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. kanelos's Avatar Member
    Name
    kanelos
    [B]hi my friend.. this is amazing....can you send me all the projects I have to make and dimensions; I would try make one .. i want make one ..i likeeee[/B] ... if you can sent me pics on my e-mail: [B] kanelos7@yahoo.gr[/B]
    [B]thanks[/B]
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. kanelos's Avatar Member
    Name
    kanelos
    hi my friend.. this is amazing....can you send me the projects I have to make and dimensions I would try make one .. i want make one ..i likeeee ... if you can sent me pics on my e-mail kanelos7@yahoo.gr thanks
    Last edited by kanelos; 06-02-13 at 06:12 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12