Close

Builder Last Online: Aug 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-28-18 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Gentlemen,
      I apologize for my lack of posting but I do drop in to see the latest builds and what everyone is up to.
      My latest project is a flathead V-8 engine. The video kind of covers the high points but here's a little background on the build.
      I always wanted to build a Ford flathead engine. After months of gathering information and as many dimensions as I could I started doing layout drawings of the actual engine. Once this was completed it was time to scale down everything to 1/3rd. In scaling down some elements need to be altered or adjusted to make them functional. Yes you can make something .010 thick but it won't hold up in use or sometimes even in handling.
      The model drawings were developed and changes made to create an actual engine. The major change was modifying the exhaust porting. On a Ford flathead the exhaust routs through the block, around the end two cylinders and Siameses for the center 2 cylinders. In making the engine from sold aluminum there was virtually no way to create the exhaust runners so it was on to plan B. Cadillac of that era also had a flathead V-8 engine, the most notable difference from the Ford was that the exhaust came out of the top of the block. When one was used to seeing a Ford flatty with headers the Caddy was a bit bizarre, especially when headers were installed and routed over the heads to the outside of the engine.
      The remainder of the engine was based on the late model Ford flathead of 1949-1953. The 8BA version.
      If anyone wants further information on the build I would be happy to post the build from start to finish.
      gbritnell
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    WOW! You I.C. guys give life to cold metal! Very nice! Love hearing it roar! Thank you for posting!

-Don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 04-28-18 at 03:31 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Beautiful machine George well done wish I could do that.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Impressive!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    George, Glad to see you are still having a great deal fun building engines!
    Ken
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    HI Ken,
    just like you I can't seem to get it out of my blood! It looks like you have an impressive resume going. Get in touch and we'll talk.l have the same email address.
    gbritnell

Fordillac in 1/3 scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #6