Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (4 votes - 4.75 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-29-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Well, I decided to end the Allison build up thread and start a new thread for this trike buildup. I figured this would be the best thing to do because I will be working on all the mechanical parts at the same time.

My plan here is to build a trike that is constructed completely of parts from TDR Allison Powered Trike Innovations. The engine, tranny, 11 inch rear, and tires/wheels are all available now at "TDRcatalog.com". If any new parts are created that might be of use to others I will upload them to the catalog too.

The basic theme for this build is to build a trike that uses as many P51 Mustang parts as possible. The Allison is a given but I will also try and use the P51 landing gear struts as the front forks and I want to find a way to work in a small belley tank or two. Maybe in the form of fenders. I also plan on using some cockpit items too. The stick to steer with and the seat are very likely items. I also want to use some of the front fuselage skin too, as a front fairing and certainly the front propeller spinner.

If I can find a way to work the nose of the plane into the fairing I have got to come up with some nose art too. Maybe something like a biker chick striking a clasic noseart pose with the words "Surplus Sally" underneath.

Don.......my kids took my crayon and wont give them back!! Maybe I could get you to draw something up?????:)'

All the parts finished out well. I kept the heads and cylinder sleeves a little on the rough side to increase the realism some, and keep with the "Rat Rod" look too. I am really impressed with the details that came out in the heads, they really have a lot of features in them. I finished out the oilpan and valvecovers to a high degree. I wanted these three items to shine a lot.

Oh, Dan, if ever there was an engine that screemed for a hardware accessory kit, it is this one!! Just working on the heads, VC, OP and cylinders I used 188 bolts!!!!! That does not even include the intake and exhaust bolts!!!!

Anyway, I have some parts finished out and I thought I would include them here because the pictures say it better than I can with words.

Build Photos

Allison Powered Trike-100_2185-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2186-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2187-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2188-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2189-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2190-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2191-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2192-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2193-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2194-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2195-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I have a question, Tim. Why are you using P-51 parts with the Allison engine? Usually the Allison was associated with the P-40 and the P-38. The P51-A had the Allison but was usually associated with the Merlin engine.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. RC-Archer's Avatar Established Member
    That's is going to be a killer project trike!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    I have a question, Tim. Why are you using P-51 parts with the Allison engine? Usually the Allison was associated with the P-40 and the P-38. The P51-A had the Allison but was usually associated with the Merlin engine.
    The P51 was just a cooler looking plane!!

Besides...I have a 1/24th P51 that I can reference for the parts...

I know P51 and the Merlin were famous as a fighter plane. The Allison held its own,in the P51, in the ground attack role though and was one heck of a tank buster!!
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Tim...I'll see what I can sketch up as soon as I can get my head around your written visual.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Hey Tim.....what kind of hardward bolts are you using? Aftermarket or those ones you scratched for the Offy?

If they are the scratchbuilt ones, perhaps a new tute is in order.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytonatim View Post
    The P51 was just a cooler looking plane!!

Besides...I have a 1/24th P51 that I can reference for the parts...

I know P51 and the Merlin were famous as a fighter plane. The Allison held its own,in the P51, in the ground attack role though and was one heck of a tank buster!!
    The answer is good enough for me. The P51A it is.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Well, I finally found a little time today to work on the Allison trike. I finished out the block for the Allison but thought I would try something a little different.

I wanted to see if I could get that "machined surface" look on part of the block where the cylinder jugs mate up to the block. So I pulled out the ole aluminium furnace tape, that a poor mans bare metal foil Allison Powered Trike I guess, and applied it to the final surface.

You wont see a lot of this surface when the cylinders are on, but the little that you do see should provide a good contrast of surface texture and I hope it spices it up a little.

Here a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images Allison Powered Trike-100_2196-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2197-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2198-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2199-jpg 
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Lookin good Tim!
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Lancair IV's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rob
    Hey Tim....Glad to see you're posting at Fine Scale Modeler. There are several guys over there interested in this.

Nice job....

Cheers
    Rob Byrnes
    Novi, Mi.

On the Bench
    1:48 Monogram B-17 Flying Fortress (Extreem Detail)
    Scratch build Lancair 235

In the planning Stages
    1:48 US WWII Bombers B-26, B-29

Recently Completed
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-36 Apache
    1:48 Tamiya P-51D
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. RC-Archer's Avatar Established Member
    Good tip, Tim. I'll have to try that somewhere.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancair IV View Post
    Hey Tim....Glad to see you're posting at Fine Scale Modeler. There are several guys over there interested in this.

Nice job....

Cheers
    Thanks.

It is not often that car stuff crosses over into plane stuff so I figured I would post up at FSM just to see what the guys over there thought. They do some wonderful work at that site.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Well, I finally got a few hours in to work on the Allison Trike this weekend. That is what 9 inches of snow will do for you.

I got some sparkplugs from Dan to put in the Allison. I decided to use the ones for the 1950's cars since they were the longest ones. Boy, I was really impressed with the fine detail that was captured in them. The really worked out well. Don't forget, you need 24 plugs for the Allison since it is 2 plugs per cylinder.

I am going the cheap route on this one in using the heads of stickpins to simulate the smaller bolts and using tacks that I grid the flats on to simulate the larger bolts. My eyes can hardly see the differance.....that may change if I ever get around to getting that pair of glasses that I need.

The white styrene Allison Powered Trike rods you see on the heads are my attempt to scratch build Allison Powered Trike the tubing that carries the ignition wire for the inside sparkplugs. I will have to build another set for the wires for the outside cylinders too. The nut you see in one or two of the pics is a test to see if it would be the right size for the attachment nut for the rod.....I think it is a little too big. I may have to visit the hardware store again.

I am going to try and assemble each head completely before attaching it to the block. I think it will be easier to work on it this way because once the cylinders and heads are attached to the block the whole assembly become quite top heavy and unstable.

The one thing I am going to have to look at, before putting the cylinder/head assembly on the block, is how all this is going to work with the drive shaft for the cams. I will be sure and leave the valve covers unattached so if I have to grind away part of distributor mount I can. This would allow me to slip the cam driveshaft down through the top of the head and into the receiver on the blower housing assembly. This is all necessary because the angle of the cam driveshaft is different than the assembly angle of the head/cylinder assembly, which is 30 degrees. So if anybody is working on their Allison right now just be aware of this and if you need a better explanation of it just PM me.

Also, I have started working on the 11 inch rearend that I will be using for the trike. One word of warning on the 11 inch rear. The disk brake setup is just too big to fit inside the TDR Allison Powered Trike 16 inch rims. I will soon have to work up some 18 inch rims and tires to work with this rear.

Well.....enough with the talk here are some pics of where I am right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images Allison Powered Trike-100_2213-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2215-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2216-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2217-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2218-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2219-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2220-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2221-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2222-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2223-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2224-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2225-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2226-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2227-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2228-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Dang!! I can't wait until I get my Allison. That surface texture looks perfect, Tim.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Thanks HFC. I am trying something different on this model. I am sanding Allison Powered Trike and preping the surface as normal. Painting it with ModelMasters aluminium paint and then I am hitting it with some flat clearcoat. This really give the metal that as cast aluminium look.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15