Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (4 votes - 4.75 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-29-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Well, I decided to end the Allison build up thread and start a new thread for this trike buildup. I figured this would be the best thing to do because I will be working on all the mechanical parts at the same time.

My plan here is to build a trike that is constructed completely of parts from TDR Allison Powered Trike Innovations. The engine, tranny, 11 inch rear, and tires/wheels are all available now at "TDRcatalog.com". If any new parts are created that might be of use to others I will upload them to the catalog too.

The basic theme for this build is to build a trike that uses as many P51 Mustang parts as possible. The Allison is a given but I will also try and use the P51 landing gear struts as the front forks and I want to find a way to work in a small belley tank or two. Maybe in the form of fenders. I also plan on using some cockpit items too. The stick to steer with and the seat are very likely items. I also want to use some of the front fuselage skin too, as a front fairing and certainly the front propeller spinner.

If I can find a way to work the nose of the plane into the fairing I have got to come up with some nose art too. Maybe something like a biker chick striking a clasic noseart pose with the words "Surplus Sally" underneath.

Don.......my kids took my crayon and wont give them back!! Maybe I could get you to draw something up?????:)'

All the parts finished out well. I kept the heads and cylinder sleeves a little on the rough side to increase the realism some, and keep with the "Rat Rod" look too. I am really impressed with the details that came out in the heads, they really have a lot of features in them. I finished out the oilpan and valvecovers to a high degree. I wanted these three items to shine a lot.

Oh, Dan, if ever there was an engine that screemed for a hardware accessory kit, it is this one!! Just working on the heads, VC, OP and cylinders I used 188 bolts!!!!! That does not even include the intake and exhaust bolts!!!!

Anyway, I have some parts finished out and I thought I would include them here because the pictures say it better than I can with words.

Build Photos

Allison Powered Trike-100_2185-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2186-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2187-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2188-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2189-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2190-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2191-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2192-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2193-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2194-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2195-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's a good tip, Tim. Thanks. I'll try that with mine. I'm very impressed with the crispness of the detail. When I do some of the shading washes Allison Powered Trike , the color should just lay right in the lines. I'm going to try and lightly weather the build up so it looks used but not abused, taken out of a wrecked P38, cleaned up and rebuilt for the next P38 engine change.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Well thanks to the weather this past weekend, I was able to get in about 5 good hours of modeling!! I made a little more headway on the Allison so I thought I would post up some pictures.

I had to do some scratch building to make the wire tubes that carry the ignition wires for the Allison. They were easy enough to make using some 1/8" styrene Allison Powered Trike rod. The wire I used for plugwires was just some 24 gage telephone wire. The plug boots were made using some 12 gage house wire insulation (wire was removed) that I cut at a 45 degree angle and superglued together. Then to giv it that nice solid rubber boot look, I just dipped it into some black acrilic paint. That gave it that molded rubber look.

Oh, in one of the pictures you will see the end of the cam driveshaft stucking up in the head, right behind the distributor. I had to grind back the end of the distributor some to allow me to insert the 1/8" styrene Allison Powered Trike rod, that is used for the cam driveshaft, down through the head and into the receiving hole in the blower housing. I think this is the easiest way to do it, I think. You may want to do the grinding on the distributor housing before you glue it into the head. Just grind it back far enough to clear the cam drive shaft hole in the head.

Oh, for the head tie down bolts I just used some 16 gage nails that I cut off and inserted down through the head and into the holes in the block. You just cannot beat that real metal look for the large bolts.

The wire you see going between the distributors is just a stripped piece of coaxial cable. I am test fitting it to see if it will work to simulate the wire braided cabling that the real allisons have. Now I just have to find me something to simulate the nuts that hold the cable to the distributor.

Well, enough talk, here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images Allison Powered Trike-100_2264-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2265-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2266-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2267-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2268-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2269-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2270-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2271-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2272-jpg 
    Last edited by Daytonatim; 01-21-10 at 06:47 PM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    Tim, Great looking build. That is going to be one awesome model when it's finished. Thanks for the tips on what material you are using to create the finer details.
    CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!!! MF
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh wow, that really builds up great. I'll be painting mine in the weird gray color Allison used on the engine blocks. It's a gray with a slight bluish tint. A little grime and some shading should be in order.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Thanks MF and HFC.

The nice thing about this engine is that since it was all aluminium you can paint it how you like or you can go for that natural or polished aluminium look.

Boy there sure is a lot going on on this engine. This is not your typical V8, there are a lot of parts inter-weaving (is that a word??) amongst each other. This engine is a detailers dream with all the wires, bolts, tubes, and nuts........I don't know what the total number of bolts this thing takes but I know it has got to be more than 400!!!!

I can't wait to see what you guys do with this bably.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You should see the one at the AF Museum. I haven't seen so many nuts and bolts on an engine before this one. I's hate to be the guy that has to turn all of them.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    You should see the one at the AF Museum. I haven't seen so many nuts and bolts on an engine before this one. I's hate to be the guy that has to turn all of them.
    Imagine being the guy turning all them bolts while being bombed, shot at, and ducking Buzz bombs!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Well, it has been a while since I posted here last. Between Rick cracking the ole whip keeping me busy with TDR Allison Powered Trike work and digging out from about 20 inches of snow in the last few weeks, I did manage to squeze in some real paint and glue modeling. I think I have the Allison engine done as far as I can take it right now. I will have to wait and connect all the hoses, exhausts, and cables up after I have the frame built for the trike.

I have to say, this engine has been a real pleasure to build. Everything went on well, no real surpises and there are just tons of potential for the super detailers. I just got the Allison transmission in the mail yesterday, perfect timing, so I will be starting on that soon. Then I can get the rear end hooked up to the Allison and that will be a major portion of the trike completed. I sure hope I can finish this thing before the Toledo model show in Oct.

I did manage to take a few pictures along the way though. So I will post them up and let them do the talking.
    Attached Images Attached Images Allison Powered Trike-100_2264-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2266-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2267-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2269-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2270-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2272-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2307-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2309-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2310-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2311-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2317-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2321-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2322-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2323-jpg  Allison Powered Trike-100_2320-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    LOL......Oh, in that last picture, the one of the bottom side of the Allions, you are looking at just about 100 bolts that need to be put in this engine.......!!!!!!

I don't know what the total bolt count is for this beast, but it has to be pushing 400!
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    WOW - That is some engine model. No wonder it is a long time between posts. Can you point to some reference sites for the detailers?

HFC when do you plan to start building?
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I was actually waiting to see how far you got on yours to see how you would do it. There are a few things I have to do first but after they're done it's off to the Allison. Again, mine will look like to one in the Air Force Museum next to the P38.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi, Weak Force Press has a number of aircraft and powerplant manuals - including the Allison - on CD, and not expensive.
    WFP Home
    They are scans of the original manuals, so are authentic.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    I was actually waiting to see how far you got on yours to see how you would do it. There are a few things I have to do first but after they're done it's off to the Allison. Again, mine will look like to one in the Air Force Museum next to the P38.
    Hey HFC, if you go to the TDRcatalog.com website, then go to the Allison listing, you will find a link there for instructions on the Allison. Click on that link and you will see a series of pictures that show how this kit goes together. It is not as straight forward as an American v-8 and you need to do some thinking before you start assembly.

One thing to watch for is the insertion of the 1/8 styrene Allison Powered Trike rod for the camshaft driveshafts. they have to be put in after the cylinder/heads and blower are assembled. Also you have to grind back some of the distributor alignment posts to let you insert the drive shaft. It is short work with a dremel Allison Powered Trike . You can see where I did this in second picture I posted.

Tim
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Shouldn't those bolts be safety-wired? Get on it.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks for the heads up, Tim. I'll go ahead and get the instructions.
    QUOTE QUOTE #31