Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-07-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Fellow modellers,

After a time working in 1 to 1 My SuperGlide project return scale (and you think scale building is frustrating???) I have gotten back into a project that I had started a couple of years ago. I now work 10:30 pm til 7 am during the week. I try to keep the same schedule on weekends. I needed something to do as I seem to be the only person awake at that time. I will try to post pics of where I have restarted the build, which is the point I had left off at.

I would like to give a special shout out to "modelmaniac" who had parted with his kit so I could do this project. Great Guy. Thank you and I hope you see this thread.

I hope to post a few pics of the bike itself. I no longer have any pics of my own but I did get a couple from the girlfriend I had at the time. One thing about the pics, they are glued into a photo book and I only got pics of the pics. There is a cover over them and that is why they may look a bit grainy. Better than nothing. Brings back a lot of memories, it was a really nice bike. I am posting the ones I have so please don't ask to see the other side, I ain't got 'em.

The bike was a 1973 FX SuperGlide. Kick-start only. There are a few differences between this bike and the kit. I will be trying to explain them as I go along and try to explain how/why I do certain things. I will need to cast a few parts and fabricate some.

The bike was not "chromed" out so I stripped most of the plating off. I have about 7 different shades of Silver that I use to try to get the look I want for various parts. I added a wash of thinned black ink to most of the engine/trans, etc as I kept most of the painted surfaces clean but some parts were rather neglected, as you may be able to tell from the pic of the bike in the driveway. I rode the bike a lot. Check the slack in the chain in the same pic.

One thing on the paint, I am thinking that this may be one of my bigger challenges. Using the pics and what memory I have left (hey, it was 1975-1978, I was 20 in '75) I have an idea on how I will do it. I have the kit tank in primer My SuperGlide project return now. I need to add the same basic scheme to the front fender as well.

If you notice, I wrote a tutorial a while back titled "Making 2 identical Parts". For the observer these are the parts that comprised part of the sissy-bar. Please check it out if you haven't yet.

More to come and I am glad to be back!!! I will be adding build pics soon.

My SuperGlide project return

Build Photos

My SuperGlide project return-project11-1-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-project12-1-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-fx-fx2a-1copy-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Well, I went through the box of mold making material that I have. Naturally, at least for me, the Part A of the rubber has hardened. I found the receipt, it was dated 10/20/2008. I can tell you for sure the stuff does have a shelf life. Not sure how long though. I don't know how long it's been like that. It's not usable. I am going to have to buy more material. I think I will just buy another kit and this time, I tell myself, I will make more molds and use it up. I will experiment with the casting My SuperGlide project return resins as they are both (parts A and B) liquid.

Sorry about the delay.

Also, looking again at the parts I need to cast I forgot about one other thing I will need. That is [U]clay[/U]. I have some that should work for what I need. I'll explain more when I get the new kit.

QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    aww yes the old shelf life blues and always when you need it..never fails...
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Hey Mike, Just another "bump in the road". It will be a minor set back. There are still plenty of things to work on in the mean time.

QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Well, I did get something done today. I had to make a license plate bracket. The kit's is the 1975 (natch) when they had a burglar alarm incorporated into it. I found a piece of metal that looks perfect for the part that holds the top of the plate. The rest I made from a couple pieces of plastic. Also in the pic there is a piece of cardboard on the Japanese license plate (the plate on the right). The kit plates are way too big. I measured an old Pennsylvania motorcycle plate that I had hanging around. It measured approximately 7"x4". Using the handy scale calculator on this website I cut the cardboard at 1 and 1/32 inch by 5/8ths inch. Should be close in 1/6th scale. I will make my own plate out of plastic sheet later.

Ahhhhh-progress, even a little is good.

My SuperGlide project return-dscf2382-jpgMy SuperGlide project return-dscf2381-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    So Jim...I sense that maybe the big scale car scratch bug might be biting at your heels. Cool !!!..I have lots of parts so if you decide we can set you up...
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    A Willys and a FED both sound like they are something I'd like to try to build. I might even try to work with brass on a FED although I could always use the familiar plastic. You did get me thinking, I remember that I have a pair of slicks from a "Triumpant Triumph" motorcycle/trike model kit that I am fairly certain is in 1/8th. The slicks are made in 2 pieces (4 total pieces for 2 complete tires). The wheels would need replaced too as the bike was a glue bomb My SuperGlide project return .

QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    To do a FED one thing I'd have to do is make the rear of the body similar to what's in the pics. I've seen one in a smaller scale that I really like but I can't find any pics of it. I could design my own. I like the way it makes them look. Pic three's rear is a bit too much. Kinda looks a little "Alien" to me. Then again, I could go with that long rear and I'd have the name for it too!!!

My SuperGlide project return-fed1-jpgMy SuperGlide project return-fed2-jpegMy SuperGlide project return-fed3-jpgMy SuperGlide project return-fed4-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Got a little more done today. I put the kick-stand together. If you notice in the pics I added a "tang" to the end of the Jiffy (H-Ds name for it) stand. It is there on the 1 to 1 My SuperGlide project return bike for your heel to set the stand.

I tried painting a few pieces but only one was acceptable. The headlight bucket will pass but I also tried to do the two parts of the oil tank. It's about 40 degrees and overcast. Not a good day to paint. I tried the wet concept. Spraying the primer My SuperGlide project return and immediately following with the top coat. I'll sand My SuperGlide project return the oil tank pieces down and respray them at a later date.

Attached Images Attached Images My SuperGlide project return-dscf2383-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2387-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    I did get the oil tank painted today . Weather wasn't much better. I let the primer My SuperGlide project return dry before I top coated this time though. Took 'em outside to primer My SuperGlide project return and paint. As soon as they were sprayed I took 'em back in the house so they didn't have time to become too cold. I wanted to put the oil tank/battery and tray together, but there are parts of the battery/tray components that need painted too . Surprise...I didn't take them out of the box and off the tree My SuperGlide project return til today. I'm prepping My SuperGlide project return the parts for paint now.

QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Figured I'd look at the battery and tray 'til I can get them painted (I hear it's supposed to be in the 60s this weekend!!!). What I've decided to do in the meantime is improve the battery/tray set-up. I cut a slot in the bottom of the tray, added a small piece of drilled plastic to the tray as a hold down.(Fortunately???) I broke a micro bit drilling the holes for the slot. I am using that as the screw/bolt for the strap hold down. I cut a thin strip of masking My SuperGlide project return tape for the strap and stuck it to a piece of aluminum foil (I know I have "Bare Metal Foil" here somewhere but I can't always find stuff when I need it). I trimmed the tape with a hobby knife My SuperGlide project return and it should work OK. The white piece on the end of the "screw" is the "nut" I made that I will use on the end of the strap.

Attached Images Attached Images My SuperGlide project return-dscf2389-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Got some painting done today and tomorrow is supposed to be nicer. I may have to work but that's ok as it would be overtime!!!

Finished the battery. Came out decent enough. I also redid the license plate bracket. I trimmed the stock piece down. Should work and look better once finished.

My SuperGlide project return-dscf2398-jpgMy SuperGlide project return-dscf2399-jpgMy SuperGlide project return-dscf2400-jpgMy SuperGlide project return-dscf2401-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Hi Jim.
    I've just had a very quick look back over this thread to remind me of what you're doing. So far so good mate.

I saw back there you were having trouble with finding a glue to work for an odd type of plastic. I've been using this stuff called M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) put out by a place here in Australia, but I would think this chemical should be available everywhere. It says for styrene My SuperGlide project return only but I haven't tried it on anything else [B][I]yet[/I][/B]. I'm wondering if it's like fibreglass resin My SuperGlide project return catalyst M.E.K.P. without the Peroxide.

Also, for the chrome, I think I've mentioned somewhere on this site about this grey powder you rub on a gloss black base coat My SuperGlide project return and it turns into a very high shine chrome but you can see it's kind of a darkish chrome. You can handle the finished part without leaving finger prints.

I just found my thread in Tutorials called 'Alclad testing' from 9-24-11 that shows this powder. Hope this helps.
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Dave, You put up a really good tutorial. It is very good comparison. For now I think I will stick with the chrome paint. I re-coated the kick lever (I wore off the gloss working on the return spring) and it came out a LOT better. I want to practice with it before I give up on it.

The MEK, I think, is something the good old USA has decided is not good for you and, again-I think, is not readily available. My plan is to cast those parts when I get my next mold-making kit. I have a second FXE that I plan to build at a later time and I will be able to cast the same part. My post does mention I plan to try to use the mold-making stuff this time.

QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Got some more painted today. Did the gas tank and both fenders. I still haven't decided if I really like the tank and front fenders custom paint. I've found that it's very difficult to get it exactly right. I know what I needed to do, pretty hard to do being such a small area. It's good for now.

Just to give you an idea how I did it. After priming, I base coated them white. I cut some making tape and laid out the pin-stripes. Painted the yellow, sprayed red around the edge (this is one major oops of being so small-I put on too much red), cut out some stencils and air brushed the white. I masked the custom part off with "Micro Mask" and sprayed black primer My SuperGlide project return and top coat.

At least I think I'm in the right ball-park.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Attached Images Attached Images My SuperGlide project return-dscf2390-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2393-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2395-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2396-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2411-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2412-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2413-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2414-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2415-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Got a little more accomplished this week-end. I had the highway pegs made so I painted them using DulpiColor chrome. I've also been trying to finish up the sissy-bar. The last piece painted needs to dry for a week. Before and after pics of the pegs.

Attached Images Attached Images My SuperGlide project return-dscf2417-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2419-jpg  My SuperGlide project return-dscf2420-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #46