Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-07-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello everyone:)'. I've been away from here for the last 2 or 3 years and too busy to build anything (been driving road trains). Now I have a little time to get back into my obsession. I was last here with a Tamiya 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125. 1/6 Suzuki Katana. I got as far as the engine in the (yellow) frame, and the front end, and have not progressed any further since then. Wow, this site has changed, and improved.
      In the last 4 or 5 months I have completed my first model in 25 years. And loved every second of it. I have documented the whole thing with over 400 photos. This site inspired me in many ways, including hand spoking the wheels.
      Here's a few pics just to get started. I'll put a couple more up soon-

Build Photos

1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-frame-008-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-engine-complete-005-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-frame-engine-003-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-swing-arm-attatched-005-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Looking good mate and great to see you back doing your thing, great work and love the use of brass bolts in the construction
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Dr Dave. Glad to see you back and building. Now you can take up where you left off. :)'
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thanks guys. It's now time to put up a few more pics of the TY for your viewing pleasure. Lets have a look at spoking the rear wheel. 1st- The rim straight from the box. 2nd- I made a jig to hold the rim and the hub in place so the moulded spokes could be removed and replaced with dental wire. 3rd- Progressing nicely, but a slow process. 4th- Spokes all done. 5th- Tyre and wheel in position with brake lever attatched. (Maybe this part should be in Tutorials?) I really enjoyed the challenge and was happy with the result. The front wheel went together a bit easier and a lot quicker now that i know what i'm doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-wheels-008-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-wheels-009-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-wheels-030-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-wheels-040-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-rear-brake-connected-001-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    That is some extreme hardware. I image the springs and rods attached to the rear assembly were hand built too?
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Great wheel treatment. The ortho wire is some of the best wire to use for wheels. It's really springy and holds its shape well. do you get the stuff out of the dental catalogues? I still get them once in a while.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Death Proof Nova Model's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Dr. Dave, Great job on the TY. I could use a tutorial on how to do the wheels. I am working on a 1/6 Super Glide and am considering lacing the wheels. I need to see where I can find dental wire here in the U.S. and knowing what size would also be of help. Your jig looks interesting. Did it work for both the front and rear wheel?
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The brake linkage is also ortho wire with copper wire wound around for the spring and a brass washer stopper. The lever on the hub is from the kit but has been drilled and pinned. A coke can was cut, folded, drilled, and screwed to attach to the brake pedal. My teacher at dental college gave me a roll of .5mm wire and i also collected the off cuts and scraps from there and the lab i worked in. To acquire your own wire may i suggest a visit to dentists, orthodontists, and dental labs. Explain to them what you want it for and they might help you out. I don't know how much it costs to buy but salvaging from waste is free.
    The springs on the rear suspension are from the electronics store. Taken from plugs and stretched out to the right pitch and cut to length.
    I made the jig to fit the rear wheel and when finished broke it and re glued it to fit the larger front wheel.
    Keep asking questions, it's the only way to get answers.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-rear-suspention-004-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-foot-brake-014-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-foot-brake-015-jpg 
    Last edited by Dr Dave; 11-14-09 at 08:46 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    A question for the moderators and/or the boss, or anyone: I also build 1/25 scale trucks (big rigs). Is it ok to put something about them on this site? If so, where should i post a new thread?
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Dave. The best place to display something out of scale or simply different would be in the off topic area. That way it wouldn't conflict with any other forum area. If the big rigs are anything like your bike here, I'm really looking forward to seeing them.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Awesome work! When I saw your mention of "road trains", my first thought was "dude is from Australia." Yep. I was right. LOL.

It never ceases to amaze me the talent we have on this board.

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thankyou HFC, when i get the time i'll put a little something in "off topic" about the trucks.
    Yes Mike, when you get an overdose of diesel in your veins, you just can't give the road away, it's "home".
    I've been thinking about doing a tutorial on the wheel spoking. There's already a few in 'tutorials' but everyone has their own way of doing things and i think the more ideas available the better, and easier for all model builders to work out their own style.
    Back to the TY. As it takes shape i have to stop myself from rushing things, so many ideas, i can't wait to try them all (plenty of time to think about it while driving).
    I wasn't happy with the thick plastic tail pipe so i cut it off and replaced it with a piece of telescopic radio aerial, like on most cars and portable stereos. These aerials are great for a whole bunch of things. Pull them apart and you have a range of chrome plated 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125. brass tubes with a nice thin wall. Use for chrome tail pipes with rolled ends, forks for your bikes, shockies, etc,etc, where ever you want chrome pipe/tube. A bit of Tamiya 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125. putty 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125. molded the new pipe into the muffler.

The fork inner tubes are made from this tube and look so much better. I chose the size closest to the original kit part so they would fit properly into the outer tube from the kit and the triple clamps. I used K&S 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125. tin for the headlight brackets, and of course, i do like real nuts& bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-exhaust-010-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-exhaust-015-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-exhaust-018-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-forks-010-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-forks-021-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-forks-029-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Doing the tutorials is fine, Dave. The more techniques we have the more options the builder will have. Post away when you get the chance.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Well folks, I haven't had time yet to do that tutorial on wheel spoking, or put up anything about about the big rigs. I'll see if I can squeeze it in between stacking firewood for next winter and installing the 3 new rain water tanks that are sitting in the back yard.

But now, a bit more on the TY. The exhaust system went on without a hitch, and so did the forks. Next step was the handle bars. The chrome in the kit was nice and shiny but after trimming the remains of the sprue 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125. and removing that line left by the two halves of the mould there wasn't much chrome left. I decided it would look better with gold bars than a shabby touched up patchwork turn out.

As I mentioned earlier the front wheel was not so difficult and a pleasure to work on. For the valves I used optical screws and nuts with a piece of vinyl tube pushed on and a drop of black paint on the end for the valve cap. After fitting the front wheel I added the speedometer and made my own cable rather than that supplied in the kit (I didn't use any cables from the kit). I got out the 1.6mm aluminium tube and before cutting it for the cable ends I rolled it with a file right on the end to form the finger grips. I rolled and cut each one separately then glued them to the ends of a piece of insulated wire from some scrap telephone cable.

To be continued....
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-taking-shape-002-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-handle-bars-004-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-wiring-008-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-front-wheel-002-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-tyre-valve-002-jpg  1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125.-speedo-004-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    At last I've made a very difficult decision. I have been trying to figure out what to build next, now that the TY has been finished for a few weeks. It has been a toss up between finishing the 1/6 Suzuki Katana, rebuilding an already ok 1/25 White 9000 truck, making a start on the Pocher Fiat (and I've been keeping an eye on RC Archers progress with interest), or another bike. The winner is: a Tamiya 1/8 Yamaha Trials TY 125. 1/12 Ducati 900SS. I think it would the quickest to finish. Late last night i got the box out, and the camera;';;'; and made a start. Once again my head is overflowing with ideas of extreme detail. I just can't bring myself to build straight from the box. Could someone please tell me where I should start a thread for this build when the time comes? Should it be here in Motorcycles or in Off Topic as it's not large scale?
    QUOTE QUOTE #15