Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 03-18-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello fellow modellers.
      After following this site for quite a while now, especially the scratchbulids that i love to follow, i have decided to try brass out on my own. And i find It totally addictive! Everywhere i look a see bits and pieces that could bee apart of my plans. I draw for a living and i am making a design on my computer along the way, based on pictures and prints of the webb/books. There are alots of referens material/pics on this old icon. I realize this will take.... maybe years to finish of. Learned so much looking att your builds so i want to share my progress and hopfully get some tips along the way.

Allways loved the caferacer-styled bikes. And is this not the motherbeauty of em all?

I have never solder so i learn as i go, use a torch now, cant get the grip of a iron!? find it easier but maybe it demand some more planning... oh, and no lathe or mill.
      Will have to get one later on i guess.

This the my first step, the mainpipe of the frame:

made a little bumb on it trying to bend with a tool, stopped doin that.

and another one, carefully bending them on my drawing, using the vise to get the pipes round again after bending.

This is the backbone of it all..
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hi Mats. I know what you mean about brass being so addictive. I feel exactly the same way since I started last year to use more brass in my models. I'm glad you finally discovered one of the best materials for modeling and I'm glad you found this site. You've got a great start on your bike. I hope to see more pictures in the future.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats

not my proudest moment, alot of cleaning!
    Starting to look like a frame

trying to get a good fit BEFORE soldering.

Starting on the swing, want to finnish something

My girlfriend work silver and i got some very usefull tools from her

This is how it should look! /Happy

Heat-absorbing-paste, to avoid close solder to melt. very usefull with the torch. Find it my fathers blacksmith workshop. will take a photo of the label if anyone is interested.

And Finally! a cleaned up pice of brasswork, im very happy with the result

Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. DominiqueBeerts's Avatar Avid Belgian
    Name
    Dominique
    Scratch-building a Manx? That means I am hooked !
    I have to subscribe to this thread.
    Best regards,
    Dominique.

Feel free to browse through my photo albums
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Glad to hear Dominique! :)

Trying to find pictures in computer/mobile/camera/autobackup.... is not that easy.
    A `simple` design and yet so brilliant the Featherbed frame.
    Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-ram-jpg

Last edited by m4teo; 03-19-12 at 07:01 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Very nice work! Out of interest have you given any thought to how you will be replicating the nipples on the end of the wheel spokes? I'd love to hear your Ideas as I'm currently building a run of scratchbuilt 1/5th scale MV125 Agusta Motorcycles and this part of the models construction has me stumped!!
    I've enquired about using insect pins but the longest length avaliable is 35mm which falls short 4mm on my wheels and I'd say you'd be looking at the same problem with your model the same scale ?
    You've picked a very complex bike as your first scratchbuilt but I'm sure with your talent you can pull it off . To turn your wheels and hubs as well as many smaller parts You will definately need a lathe and a mill as well as a myrid of other attachments for you lathe get in touch with me via PM and I'll point you in the right direction if your unsure?

Sean
    Last edited by modelmaker; 03-20-12 at 03:40 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. DominiqueBeerts's Avatar Avid Belgian
    Name
    Dominique
    Quote Originally Posted by modelmaker View Post
    Very nice work! Out of interest have you given any thought to how you will be replicating the nipples on the end of the wheel spokes? I'd love to hear your Ideas as I'm currently building a run of scratchbuilt 1/5th scale MV125 Agusta Motorcycles and this part of the models construction has me stumped!!
    I've enquired about using insect pins but the longest length avaliable is 35mm which falls short 4mm on my wheels and I'd say you'd be looking at the same problem with your model the same scale ? ...
    I would think you will need a thin tube to slide over the spoke and glue it to the rim. I don't know what the size of it will need to be in case of the Agusta's and the Norton, but 4 mm seems like a lot to me. That makes 2 cm in 1:1 Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx . Is that the correct size of the spoke nipples?
    Best regards,
    Dominique.

Feel free to browse through my photo albums
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Sorry I'm refering to the domed end of each spoke much like what a head of a pin looks like.

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Mats, great brass work! The heat sink putty Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx is available through Otto Frei for those interested. It is a standard requirement for jewelers for close torch work.

As for the spoke issue check with Home - Special Shapes Company I have purchased 1/32" tube from them and telescoped .010" rod for spokes on my airplane models. They do not list it on their site but do have it. They also have a $20 minimum order so plan ahead.

Keep up the great work!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Tnx Sean, offcourse i've Seen your exellent work on the Augusta. Never seen such fine scalebike before. LOT off mindblowing modells Here, but your bike is what pusched me over the edge! :) love cars and mechanics, but bikes get me goin. I Will probobly bombard you with questions :) Im new with scalemodelling and Have alot to leran. But handy and like to solve problem, Have not yet got My head around the spokeends yet, but you planted seed. My first thougt was buttonpins as you guys. Shall see what dimensions they have Here in sweden. got an interesting idea for the rims (the kind you get without lathe:)glad to Here from you! /Mats

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Tnx Sean, offcourse i've Seen your exellent work on the Augusta. Never seen such fine scalebike before. LOT off mindblowing modells Here, but your bike is what pusched me over the edge! :) love cars and mechanics, but bikes get me goin. I Will probobly bombard you with questions :) Im new with scalemodelling and Have alot to leran. But handy and like to solve problem, Have not yet got My head around the spokeends yet, but you planted seed. My first thougt was buttonpins as you guys. Shall see what dimensions they have Here in sweden. got an interesting idea for the rims (the kind you get without lathe:)Yes, its complicated first one, but i thougt, if im gonna try this, Manx is what i want. Very Glad to Here from you! /Mats

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Superb brass work Mats!
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Quote Originally Posted by xken View Post
    Mats, great brass work! The heat sink putty is available through Otto Frei for those interested. It is a standard requirement for jewelers for close torch work.As for the spoke issue check with Home - Special Shapes Company I have purchased 1/32" tube from them and telescoped .010" rod for spokes on my airplane models. They do not list it on their site but do have it. They also have a $20 minimum order so plan ahead.Keep up the great work! Ken
    Thank you to Ken! (with quote:) Think the paste Have saved alot off extra work for me already! :)

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. HI Matts thanks for the kind words re my MV project. Scratchbuilding will require as you've probably already worked out an imense amount of concentration solving build problems and doing the design work not to mention the work involved building the individual parts . For someone that is new to scale modeling as you put it your doing a fine job but don't burn yourself out from it !
    Brass is a great medium to work with but don't be scared to try working in different materials eg Acrylic Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx Aluminium ,nylon and wood I'm really keen to see your Ideas on the rims or how you get by without using a Lathe or mill, anyway please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish and hopefully I can answer them for you!It's great to see another bike project happening and I'll be following this one closely.

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Matts here is some inspirational photos for you , you may have already seen them The Vintagent: EUGENE ZIEGLER - THE KITCHEN MASTER
    or this one but you'll need to make a cuppa coffee and spend some time on this site! Pagina nueva 1

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #15