Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 03-18-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello fellow modellers.
      After following this site for quite a while now, especially the scratchbulids that i love to follow, i have decided to try brass out on my own. And i find It totally addictive! Everywhere i look a see bits and pieces that could bee apart of my plans. I draw for a living and i am making a design on my computer along the way, based on pictures and prints of the webb/books. There are alots of referens material/pics on this old icon. I realize this will take.... maybe years to finish of. Learned so much looking att your builds so i want to share my progress and hopfully get some tips along the way.

Allways loved the caferacer-styled bikes. And is this not the motherbeauty of em all?

I have never solder so i learn as i go, use a torch now, cant get the grip of a iron!? find it easier but maybe it demand some more planning... oh, and no lathe or mill.
      Will have to get one later on i guess.

This the my first step, the mainpipe of the frame:

made a little bumb on it trying to bend with a tool, stopped doin that.

and another one, carefully bending them on my drawing, using the vise to get the pipes round again after bending.

This is the backbone of it all..

Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Soldering aluminum?? Now there's a subject I can get excited about. I've got to look Alutite up on the net and see what it's all about. Up to this point, I had to use JB Weld and that takes a long time to set well.

Exactly my response to! My father showed me the other week, never heard of it before

Here is a good video (in swedish) but u see the potential soldering different thickness:

Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here is a link to see and learn. Enjoy! Ken

Electroplating & Anodizing Kits - Caswell Inc
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys for posting all that new info. Those are fantastic techniques.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

4. fango's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    angus
    Great Mats! It was a while that I came to see your amazing work .. and I'm really enjoying it! I'm glad you used the paper' method for the study of the oil tank .. and a wooden model of the petrol tank is simply a High Work of Art. What can I say .. I'm almost finished my, I would be very proud if you go for a spin, and tell me what you think .. Have a nice, Mats, I will follow thi project untill the end!
    QUOTE QUOTE #50

5. cafox513's Avatar Member
    Name
    Charles
    Mats, your progress gives me more energy to push on with my 1/9-scale Norvin. I was lucky enough to meet the owner of a Vincent Black Shadow who had a spare (!) Vincent V-twin engine all in pieces. He loaned them to me, to photograph, measure, etc. Another acquaintance gave me a 50-year-old small drill press (perfect for making the tiny holes in rims and hubs, for wire wheels), with the caveat that I had to get it running, in front of our machinists club, and then it would me mine. That happens Saturday!

I'm especially taken by your Featherbed. I've been trying to find ways to restrict the movement of my brass rod as I bend -- to get two sides that look like mirror images. I'm working on a trick -- mainly a wooden block with three or four dowels of different sizes poking up, to bend the rod around. Wish me luck!

Have you gotten (I haven't read everything in this thread yet) a good lathe and mill? I was lucky enough to get Sherline equipment (they're only two hours' drive away here in Southern California) and am learning -- slowly -- how to use them. They represent a stiff learning curve, but sure make certain operations a lot easier!
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

6. Giovanni's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Giovanni
    Here is a video of aluminum brazing: http://youtu.be/RRWmpSE-hXk
    QUOTE QUOTE #52

7. lowbike1's Avatar Member
    Name
    Chris
    subscribed! this is amazing
    QUOTE QUOTE #53

8. CAFox's Avatar Member
    Name
    Charles
    Update: a change of computers ate all my photos with scales on them! But luckily I printed a number of them, and extrapolating looks like it will be one of my true talents, if I can ever bring this off!
    QUOTE QUOTE #54

9. CAFox's Avatar Member
    Name
    Charles
    On some forum or group, it was suggested that entomologist's pins would work well. And it was right, for 1/12 dragster fronts as well as for 1/9 motorcycle wheels.Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-ento-pins-jpg Hope this helps (hope you can enlarge the photo!).
    QUOTE QUOTE #55

10. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    So, Chas, you got some pins! I've just found mine again after years of having lost them! But you know how much I hate drilling 'oles!
    Bout time we saw some progress on that bike of yours!

Didn't know you were on here!

Cheers,
    Martin
    A man needs a plan...and a shed
    QUOTE QUOTE #56

11. CAFox's Avatar Member
    Name
    Charles
    It's been a long time since I visited, but I'm still in awe of someone who tackled the Manx in 1/5. Gives me borrowed courage for my 1/9 Norvin . . .
    QUOTE QUOTE #57

12. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Any updates on this build?
    QUOTE QUOTE #58

13. YHOR's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jorge
    Does anyone know how I can contact my friend Mateo? A pity that I stopped posting, I was doing a great modeling job.

I am about to finish implementing my workshop. I have a desire to return to the hobby after a long time, and my idea is to build a Norton Manx at 1/5 scale. For this reason, I would like the author of the topic to sell me his plans.
    QUOTE QUOTE #59

14. woodythx138's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chris
    I use solid stainless sewing pins and it has work well, on occasion I use hypodermic needle which can be had at 3' lengths and cut to length, silver solder everything. I love the little nipple idea, where do you find those at. Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-img_0311-jpg  Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-img_4814-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #60