Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 03-18-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello fellow modellers.
      After following this site for quite a while now, especially the scratchbulids that i love to follow, i have decided to try brass out on my own. And i find It totally addictive! Everywhere i look a see bits and pieces that could bee apart of my plans. I draw for a living and i am making a design on my computer along the way, based on pictures and prints of the webb/books. There are alots of referens material/pics on this old icon. I realize this will take.... maybe years to finish of. Learned so much looking att your builds so i want to share my progress and hopfully get some tips along the way.

Allways loved the caferacer-styled bikes. And is this not the motherbeauty of em all?

I have never solder so i learn as i go, use a torch now, cant get the grip of a iron!? find it easier but maybe it demand some more planning... oh, and no lathe or mill.
      Will have to get one later on i guess.

This the my first step, the mainpipe of the frame:

made a little bumb on it trying to bend with a tool, stopped doin that.

and another one, carefully bending them on my drawing, using the vise to get the pipes round again after bending.

This is the backbone of it all..

Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Mats, here is a link to the Yellow Ochre that is used to keep solder away from certain areas. Otto Frei is a great source for other things as well so you may wish to explore more. Yellow Ochre should be available from a local jeweler supplier where you live.

Keep up the great job you are doing. Would have replied sooner but site was down.

Ken

Soldering: Kits, Stations, Third Hands, Soldering Picks, Ring Soldering Tweezers, Soldering Boards, Charcoal Blocks, Annealing Pans, Rotating Boards, Liquid Fluxes, Paste Fluxes, Firescale Preventers, Ficturing Compounds, Pickle, Picklers, Soft Solde
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Harleybuilder's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Uli
    Great project, that I´ll keep watching. There is so much to learn from you guys. With my latest project I made spoked wheels on a Harley in scale 1/6. There it was no problem, that the spokes have no heads because you won´t see them on the finisher model. For this problem I have still no solution, if you can´t use insect pins. But even the pins with the metal heads are very hard to find. It was the first time I made spoked wheels. For the nipples I used core end sleeves. May be it is a solution for you too.

Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-img_2434-jpgScratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-img_2435-jpg
    Chrome won`t bring you home ;)
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleybuilder View Post
    Great project, that I´ll keep watching. There is so much to learn from you guys. With my latest project I made spoked wheels on a Harley in scale 1/6. There it was no problem, that the spokes have no heads because you won´t see them on the finisher model. For this problem I have still no solution, if you can´t use insect pins. But even the pins with the metal heads are very hard to find. It was the first time I made spoked wheels. For the nipples I used core end sleeves. May be it is a solution for you too.

Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-img_2434-jpgScratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-img_2435-jpg
    The way I will do my Bentley wheels, is machining the hub (done), machine a rim, drill them, then use thin wire to spoke it. The only good wire I have is galvanised, so cant really solder it, but it should work.

JP
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. fango's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    angus
    QUOTE:"Trying to hold myself from starting on gas/oil-tank.." Hi Mats, for the oil tank, located under the seat, I'd suggest the method I used(using the technique of tailors to make a dress, using like a "paper model"..): you design the development of the tank on the card (if you want to play the trapezoidal one, but I think it is also equal to the round front'one) , so I do two copies tried to finish him off with two differents techniques: by leaving it in cardboard, and imbued it with resin Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx , or copy the design of a thin sheet of brass, then soldering on the sides and the corners.Filing and rounding the edges, it recreates the typical "bombče"'form.A last job, I drilled two angles neighbors, I inserted a plastic tube, and milling and caulking I redid the two flares that are on the original tank, bottom, where there are motor brackets.P.S.:i'm at the end of my monthly'internet trafic,so i'm not shure to be able to post a pic..
    Attached Images Attached Images Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-dscn8709_oiltank-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. fango's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    angus
    Quote Originally Posted by fango View Post
    using like a "paper model"..): you design the development of the tank on the card ..
    ..Oh, Mats, I must excuse me .. The picture has loaded (even if after 15 minutes ..) but .. it was the wrong one! The paper template in the center is in fact what I used to make a can of oil, but not for the Manx: closed, it remains a solid ..but rectangular.For do trapeze, the two sides must be precisely .. trapezoidal, not rectangular as this. I apologize, but I did several months ago, and I do not have watch properly.The important is that he managed to explain .. Ciao!
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Quote Originally Posted by xken View Post
    Mats, here is a link to the Yellow Ochre that is used to keep solder away from certain areas. Otto Frei is a great source for other things as well so you may wish to explore more. Yellow Ochre should be available from a local jeweler supplier where you live.

Soldering: Kits, Stations, Third Hands, Soldering Picks, Ring Soldering Tweezers, Soldering Boards, Charcoal Blocks, Annealing Pans, Rotating Boards, Liquid Fluxes, Paste Fluxes, Firescale Preventers, Ficturing Compounds, Pickle, Picklers, Soft Solde
    Thank u very must Ken, will get me a can, got i fine jewlers-store i Stockholm, goin this week

Thou im trying to save bolt/nuts for later if possible, so i can get them all close in scale.

/Mats

QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Thats a very nice streetbike [B]JonathanPoll[/B], would love to have one of thouse in my garage

The "core end sleeves" as Spoke-nipples looks perfect [B]Harleybuilder[/B], will defenetly keep whem in mind then a get there. Guees i will have the same problem as Modelmaker, that im gonna need longer spokes and the ends will be visual. One solution is to get another brake (bigger) but that does not feel well, to let a unsolved problem deside the design.

Nice oiltank [B]fango[/B], not sure i understand how u did them exactly, But i will make it in brass or maybe aluminium, would like to have them in alu. And im not sure what kind of tank i will go for yet.

This simple one i think:
    Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-sk-rmavbild-2012-04-10-kl-14-38-11-png

But the builder in me want to make this one allso:
    Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-sk-rmavbild-2012-04-10-kl-14-37-02-png

Happy ester everyone!

QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    And some small progress, besides ALOT of food, and time with the family.

Starting with the steeringhead, first the lower one. Have not find so may good pics of this one, so this one maybe looks more like then one on the Dominator.

I cut and bend a solid brassrod:

Had no thick pipe so made these from 1 mm sheet:

View image in gallery

Shape to inbed the Boltbase, with the dimondhead tool for dremmel, worked fine:

View image in gallery

The Soldering by now i handle it quit good, "Planning steps to hold heat" (my new mantra).

View image in gallery

Love that soldering is so forgiving. I can allways go back with heat and ajuste/redo. A very nice change from Glue/welding.

My drilljigg.

View image in gallery

And the result:

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

/Mats

Last edited by m4teo; 04-11-12 at 10:33 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by m4teo View Post

Love that soldering is so forgiving. I can allways go back with heat and ajuste/redo. A very nice change from Glue/welding.

Hehe only good when you know how to ;) My soldering never ends up that good, either too hot Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx , so it drips everywhere, or too cold it wont stick :/

And I still need lighter gas! Were gonna order some so I can pick it up in UK in a week.

By the way, that piece looks amazing... Looks like a real part with a giant ruler next to it!

JP
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Tank you JP! The more i do it, the less solder try to use, and more heat. Only with ŕ gastorch./Mats

QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. driftcar's Avatar Member
    Name
    tran
    very nice .
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Thank you Driftcar :)

Some more progress on rhe steering head

View image in gallery

Now days im constantly looking for used Lathe

Began to work some aluminium at last
    first the oiltank, made a dummy out of paper (that fists:)

View image in gallery

glued my print on a alu-sheet and cut with my jewlerysaw.
    I bought some bigger sawblades, dont break as easy.

View image in gallery

It was a bit optimistic thinking i could do it in one piece...

...cut the top and botton.

View image in gallery

This is my firt go with Alutite for soldering aluminium, quite easy to work, and very strong. a bit messy here att first. I had to by a bigger torch thou to get heat up to 380° C. Thats the meltingpoint and indicator of right temperature. It does not stick at once, u have to put something sharp (a stainless pin for example) in and scratch the alu-surface under the melted solder so the oxidsurface breaks, then it sticks.

Find very good tutorials on youtube. they even solder aluminiumfoil.

View image in gallery

View image in gallery
    And i got a tank

View image in gallery

I think i want the bike not painted when done, so i really want the tanks i aluminum,
    now i just have to move on to the 5 gallon tank

Start of and got the tooth-brush-shelf, looked like good hard wood...

View image in gallery

Saw the profiles, 4 of them.

View image in gallery

Connect them with dowels, if possible i will do them in halfes.

View image in gallery

one evening sanding in my kitchen.

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

and some more sanding:

View image in gallery

The gastank is the crown of this beauty, so i will give it time, (no shortcuts!)

/Mats

Last edited by m4teo; 04-25-12 at 06:19 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Mats, Great work!!! You are a brave person to work in the kitchen, my wife would kill me if I tried.

Yes aluminum soldering does require the use of a gas torch and aluminum flux and some practice. If you get stuck keep in mind that you can make a brass part and have it nickel plated Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx to simulate polished aluminum.

Keep up the great work.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Soldering aluminum?? Now there's a subject I can get excited about. I've got to look Alutite up on the net and see what it's all about. Up to this point, I had to use JB Weld and that takes a long time to set well.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Thank u Ken! She is... (got our new baby girl to attend) so i sneak in the kitchen when they sleep...
    cleaning out the mess very carefully offcourse!!

I will give alu a try first, but brass is brass and easier to control/shape, and stronger... and smells good to. hmm. Is their any tutorials on nickel plating to recommend? read somewhere about where to bye small sets, not to expensive if i remember right.

Not sure to go for thin alusheet for easier shaping and get bumps hard to get rid off?
    or
    thicker alu harder to shape but more material to sand Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx down to smooth surface?

All these alternatives! :/

Last edited by m4teo; 04-25-12 at 06:11 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #46