Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 03-18-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello fellow modellers.
      After following this site for quite a while now, especially the scratchbulids that i love to follow, i have decided to try brass out on my own. And i find It totally addictive! Everywhere i look a see bits and pieces that could bee apart of my plans. I draw for a living and i am making a design on my computer along the way, based on pictures and prints of the webb/books. There are alots of referens material/pics on this old icon. I realize this will take.... maybe years to finish of. Learned so much looking att your builds so i want to share my progress and hopfully get some tips along the way.

Allways loved the caferacer-styled bikes. And is this not the motherbeauty of em all?

I have never solder so i learn as i go, use a torch now, cant get the grip of a iron!? find it easier but maybe it demand some more planning... oh, and no lathe or mill.
      Will have to get one later on i guess.

This the my first step, the mainpipe of the frame:

made a little bumb on it trying to bend with a tool, stopped doin that.

and another one, carefully bending them on my drawing, using the vise to get the pipes round again after bending.

This is the backbone of it all..

Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Quote Originally Posted by modelmaker View Post
    HI Matts thanks for the kind words re my MV project. Scratchbuilding will require as you've probably already worked out an imense amount of concentration solving build problems and doing the design work not to mention the work involved building the individual parts . For someone that is new to scale modeling as you put it your doing a fine job but don't burn yourself out from it !
    Brass is a great medium to work with but don't be scared to try working in different materials eg Acrylic Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx Aluminium ,nylon and wood I'm really keen to see your Ideas on the rims or how you get by without using a Lathe or mill, anyway please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish and hopefully I can answer them for you!It's great to see another bike project happening and I'll be following this one closely.

Sean

Ive seen colleges "burned out" and its a horribel state.. Some not the same anymore. For me modelling is pure joy, and a way to get my hands dirty after a day behind my screen (work). But its HARD to get unsolved issues out of the head Stress is a plague of our time.

I will use every material that suits the goal, Only modelled in plastic (styrene/wood) before so metall feels very attractive at the moment. Right now im almost done with the frame and moved on in my head to the rearshocks. Made some spring in different sizes today, some work good but does not look as fine, and other look perfekt but dont... flex? hmmm

Have not had a chans to se any pins live yet but find these on the net:
    Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-sk-rmavbild-2012-03-22-kl-21-36-46-png
    Do you Know how they look under the plastic ball?

/Mats

QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. fango's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    angus
    Hello everyone! I'm intruding .. Why don't think of using the steel wire ropes of an electric guitar? I've tried, and I guarantee on the length and number of rays used,they no flex.The best choice is to find the rope steel used for pianos .. I used (I seem to remember ..) a 0.3 mm for 1/9th scale, but for larger scale .. better yet, you can use a rope bigger! for my Manx in scale 1 / 8 I used the usual silk pins, actually too short for a larger scale ..
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    No intrution fango! its an open forum, and thanks for the tip, i will keep the guitarr strings in mind, maybe for "steel-cored wiers" if in scale? (not sure about the spelling or whats it called in english:)

And thanks for the links Sean, choose guys are greatness! will return to them for some while. I REALLY like the scale 1:4,5.... Big is beautiful!

Almost finished with the frame at last, just a few mounting-plates left, waiting for som shredded details in my mailbox. I put a big piece of paper in my window for some better posing pics;

at the moment im trying to get the rearshocks in scale.

/mats

Last edited by m4teo; 03-27-12 at 05:30 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Making rearshocks longer to get a little angle on bike/motor.

A find from a fleemarket near my home. Im a frekvent visitor.

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

View imag

View image in gallery
    e in gallery

Ordered a aluminium tube in right dimension for the lower cover of the spring. Looked everywhere, and finally find it in a toystore around the corner :)

This so fun, Cant wait to continiue!

Last edited by m4teo; 03-27-12 at 08:05 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Guitar and piano strings are a great idea and they're not that hard to get especially if you play those instruments. The good thing is that they come in various sizes and types so you can pick and choose your detail.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Tricky little piece.

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Got some plastic `pearls` from my kids room..
    expand a little.

View image in gallery

one end

View image in gallery

to let 3mm tube in. (half way)

View image in gallery

push them both through

View image in gallery

and cut

View image in gallery

A perfekt pressfit in a 6mm tube.

View image in gallery

this wont show on the final bike, but i guess ill sleep better.

Last edited by m4teo; 04-02-12 at 04:45 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats

Springtime at last.

View image in gallery

the look im after,

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

Cant wait to get them in place!

Last edited by m4teo; 04-01-12 at 06:55 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    awesome job on the shocks!
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. fango's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    angus
    OMG,a.k.a. mammamia!I can't believe,the work on the shocks..looks beautifuls,and so real.Bravo again!
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Thank you guys!

Today i put it together, very nice feeling. Some ajustments need to be done i think. Guess the fork will be next. Trying to hold myself from starting on gas/oil-tank. i really looking foward work some brass/alu metallsheets, after what you guys showed here.

Have a nice one!

/Mats

QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    Thats amazing!

One day you should try a Brough Superior SS100
    http://www.theworldofmotorcycles.com/vintagebike-images/brough_superior_1931_photo_lg.jpeg

T
    hat norton is extremely well done... We had a friend come over in a Manx a while back, I'll maybe post the picture.

Keep on the great work!
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Mats, Looks like you have gotten the feel for working with brass and it's benefits. Great job on the shocks!

Keep up the great job you are doing!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. m4teo's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    mats
    Thank you Jonathan, please post pictures. I Would aprichiate... Like it :) dont get to practice my school-english very often. Have not Seen Norton in real life yet since i start this build. Just found out that there is one of Two in museum in town close to mine. Next weekend i Will go there :)very beautiful bike 'Brough Superior' love to see build. Hope to get this one finnished, halfway-projects are the story of My life :)and thansk u to Ken! Wow, Learn so much looking t your work/tutorial, means alot to me!I belive Posting here helps to get on with my build, and not moving on to another idea.What is the pigment Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx u brush on to stop solder where i dont want it to flow?Ok, going to bed couple of centimeters taller :)Good night folks! /Mats

QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    Here are the pics is :)
    Scratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-pic_1971-jpgScratchbuild 1:5 Norton Manx-pic_1972-jpg
    Just about see the ramp of trhe Trailer our Ford was on, and on 2nd picture front wheel of the Bentley!
    QUOTE QUOTE #31