Close

Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering?
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering?
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-01-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi There!
      Just wondering if any of You Guys here had found a good way of doing neat Tyre lettering on Vinyl Tyres? Just about to start a 1/6 Tamiya Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? BMW Police Bike which Has raised lettering on the sidewalls,plus what is the best paint to use?
      Will be posting the build here when I start it-look forward to it!!

Many Thanks, Pete Mortlock
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. jared's Avatar Active Member
    I haven't painted raised letters on a large scale, but I have on a few 1/25 cars and trucks. I always used a tooth pick for fine detail painting. I like doing it this way because they don't hold too much paint and you can see how much paint you have. This trick always worked well on white letters. I used testors gloss white for this, but maybe someone else knows of a better paint for the vinyl tires. I paint nuts and bolts the same way.

Good luck!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Morty's Avatar Active Member
    That's a good idea to use a toothpick,I've tried using a small brush,Even the Microbrushes,but I'd always felt I'd have got on better with something more 'solid' and less flexible.
    Thanks for Your Advice! Cheers, Pete
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Daniel's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Daniel
    Mouppe posted pictures showing excellent results by using a white paint sharpie to paint raised tyre lettering. The link to his thread is here:-http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...html#post24509
    The pictures are at the bottom of the page.
    I have thought of trying to burnish on white correction tape on raised lettering. I would like to know if anyone else has tried this, and if so what were the results like?
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Morty's Avatar Active Member
    I've not seen Sharpie pens for sale in the UK, but there must be something similar around.
    Thanks fro the tip!!

Cheers, Pete
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Daniel's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Daniel
    Hi Pete, Sharpie paint markers are hard to get in Australia as well. I can only get them by special order through our office stationary supplier. In a hardware store I found a 0.8mm white paint marker called a “uni Paint marker” they are made by Mitsubishi Pencil Co. Ltd.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Gang, I've had some really good results using the off the shelf Wally World Krylon "FUSION" paints. They are designed to be used on plastic and seem to bond well, dries in 15 minutes. For tire lettering I spray some in the cap and apply it with bamboo sticks (I have a number of bamboo stands in the backyard, a never ending supply of sticks and cane fishing ploes for the grandbabies). For whitewalls I cut a frisket mask and spray right from the can. So far...no problems and cheap. May not work for everyone, but it merits more experimenting.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'll piggy back on that Krylon Fusion recommendation. I've used it and I like it too. Sprayed into the cap, it's thin enough to easily manage where it goes. I've also tried White Out and I hated it. It was too thick and set too fast for a smooth result.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    For you roundy round guys...you can get it in yellow too.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. protarguy's Avatar Active Member
    Hi Morty

The Metzeler tires have black on black lettering...

I ride a `73 BMW R75/5 myself and all the tires I bought
    did not have white lettering.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Only use ACRYLIC Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? paints on vinyl/rubber. Anything else will never dry.
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I think the Krylon Fusion is an acrylic Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? . If not, let me know.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Daniel's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Daniel
    The white paint marker pens are oil based so therefore they are definitely not acrylic Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? . They seem to work without any problems and dry perfectly. They are also alot easier to control than paint on the end of a tooth pick.
    Whiteout is no good because it dries to fast, it is almost dry as soon as it comes out the pen. Then if you go over an area the solvent lifts the dried parts and quickly thickens it up causing a big mess. I did an experiment earlier today with correction tape but without any success. Parts of the tape did stick, but the tape is too brittle and breaks away, leaving you with only partially white lettering. The parts that did stick were quite hard to remove. I think I will stick with the white paint marker pens.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    The white paint marker pens are oil based so therefore they are definitely not acrylic Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? . They seem to work without any problems and dry perfectly. They are also alot easier to control than paint on the end of a tooth pick.
    Whiteout is no good because it dries to fast, it is almost dry as soon as it comes out the pen. Then if you go over an area the solvent lifts the dried parts and quickly thickens it up causing a big mess. I did an experiment earlier today with correction tape but without any success. Parts of the tape did stick, but the tape is too brittle and breaks away, leaving you with only partially white lettering. The parts that did stick were quite hard to remove. I think I will stick with the white paint marker pens.
    You've had better luck than I have. I used oil based pens to do white walls with a circle template on 1/24 tires and it definitely did not work until I got acrylic Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? pens.
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Morty's Avatar Active Member
    ..and protatguy,You are right,the instructions do not call out for white lettering,I'd seen a photo of an R75 on the net with some painted up,Guy must have done It himself!!
    I've found a supplier of paint pens in the UK,Cult Pens,Have just about got every pen Known to Man! Ordered some paint pens to try,called 'Pilot Super Color',made in Japan. They are available in a range of point sizes & colours, I got some 0.5mm White and silver,plus a larger one in silver,very similar in size to the Late,Lamented Tamiya Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? Paint Markers,but with a bullet shaped tip instead of a chisel shape,I will modify this before using It.These are all Acrylic Painless way to paint Tyre Lettering? Paint. Reasonably Priced,and delivery from Cult Pens was superb,order to doorstep in under 48 Hours!
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my Questions Guys!
    Cheers, Pete
    QUOTE QUOTE #15