Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-27-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here's a photo of the kit I'm starting with......

I picked up one of these 1/8th kits on Evil Bay "cheap"....twelve bucks plus a few more coin for postage.

I didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised with the quality and detail of the kit.
      Actually it would build up into a nice model (box stock) but that wasn't my intention.
      I wanted to see if I could morph it into a somewhat believable old time board rack racer without spending much coin, I also wanted to pass on some "how to" tips along the way to help out those members that would like to try their hand at scratch building without having to take out a second mortgage or have a complete machine shop at their disposal........in other words, simple hand tools and a little effort.

Build Photos

Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer?-image1-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Let's begin with the wheels and tires........I'll post large easy to see pics and if any one has any questions as to how I did what...please free to ask or comment, that's what SMC is all about.

The rims didn't need to be "de-chromed" as they were molded in a metallic Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? look plastic.
    I spray bombed them with Krylon indoor/outdoor gloss "cherry red" paint. The stuff dries in ten minutes allowing work to continue.

The spokes were brush painted flat black with Pactra acrylic Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? enamel Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? .

The rubber tires were were sprayed with Krylon primer Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? sealer and given 20 minutes to dry.
    If the tires aren't sealed before painting the white finish coat will never dry!
    For the white, Krylon indoor/outdoor semi-gloss white was used. The tires needed to sit out in the sun for a short time to soften them enough to stretch over the rims. The paint hasn't cracked and is dry....no problems.

The spoke nipples and rear wheel dust shield were hand painted with Testors "aluminum" enamel Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? .
    Not too shabby considering I've spent less than twenty bucks so far including paint.

Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-28-11 at 09:25 PM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    These are the kit frame and front fork pieces.....

and here they are mocked up in box stock Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? form so that the areas requiring modification can easily be seen.

Below are the areas to be removed.

Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-28-11 at 09:26 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    A pin vise Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? is used to drill pilot holes in the frame neck & upright. These will be drilled out a little larger to accept "pins" to join the pieces back together. This method produces a good strong solid joint. Simply gluing Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? tubing to the neck (butt joint) will break...count on it!

Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-28-11 at 09:27 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Slip a piece of heavy gauge wire inside thin wall plastic tubing to give it added rigidity and allow bending without the the plastic tubing collapsing or kinking.

A short length of the wire could be left exposed to at as a connecting pin but that would require using CA to bond the joint. Personally, I prefer to cut the wire short and insert a smaller diameter piece of tubing to act as the pin. This way regular model cement can be used to fuse the joint. either way makes a good joint.

Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-28-11 at 09:27 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Upper frame tube & down tube with engine cradle, the wheel base has been lengthened a little to allow room for the engine crankcase.

Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-28-11 at 09:28 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    A couple more mock ups just to see where it's at and what else needs to be modified. Note the dust shield on the rear wheel will be on the opposite side for the finished model.

Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-28-11 at 09:24 PM. Reason: SP
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Lower backbone frame tube installed.....

2 part filler to clean up the joints....

primer Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? and a couple more mock-up pics.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks for the M.O.M. nomination Merak, I appreciate it.

Scratch building the fuel tank.......
    The top & bottom panels of the tank were cut from thin plastic sheet.

A strip of plastic randomly bent to act as filler and add some strength to the tank......

top, bottom & front of tank bonded in place....the side panels also cut from thin sheet plastic.

A couple pics of the top of the tank....

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    For the bottom of the fuel tank 3 strips of half round tubing were used.
    2 of the strips were placed cut side down on the outer edges of the tank and the center piece is installed cut side up....this forms a concave area on the bottom of the tank to fit over the lower frame backbone tube.

More filler, sanding Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? and a test fit.
    A generic engine sketch is included in the following pics to give an idea of how it will fit in the frame and allow the mounting brackets to be fabricated. The engine will be scratch built Article: Re: Budget Board Track Racer? from common hardware store washers and scrap plastic.

All things considered this build is still well under $30.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I thought I knew a lot about racing, but I didn't know about anything about a board track racer. Very cool build. Is this like today's speedway bikes. Looks real similar to me. Ken
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by kmeaders@q.com View Post
    I thought I knew a lot about racing, but I didn't know about anything about a board track racer. Very cool build. Is this like today's speedway bikes. Looks real similar to me. Ken
    That's funny Ken, I guess you could make some comparisons to speedway racing.
    This type of bike was raced (back in the day) on a banked track that was constructed from wood planks....no brakes etc. If you wanted to slow down you simply backed off the throttle.

I've always been fond of these things and even flat tracked (dirt) a Harley when I was a young 'un......made a few side trips through the wood safety fence and my nose goes in several different directions because of it.

Just google Board Track Racers for some interesting reading.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-30-11 at 08:57 AM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Wow, they are like the speedway bikes with no brakes. When I was a kid, I went to a county fair and they raced motorcycles in a wood planked barrel looking track. Basically on the wall of the barrel. Four bikes at a time it was crazy. This would have been in the early to mid fifties. I've also been to a few flat track events, like you raced. The one in San Jose used to be the big event on the west coast. I love racing cars but I don't have what it takes to race motor sickles ( as my Dad called them).This is good stuff Don, I am following with great interest. Ken
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    My folks had fits when I was flat tracking Ken.......my Mom referred to them as murder cycles.
    When I first started dating my first wife (she was a high school senior & I was in college) I went to her house to pick her up for a date on a Triumph...big mistake!
    Her Dad promptly threw me out yelling something about no way was I going to date his daughter. Fooled him......married her anyway and bought her her own bike.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The (sit on) bicycle seat that comes with the kit isn't appropriate for a (sit in) racer so a new one will be fabricated from "Super Sculpey".......

A piece of clay rolled flat, the bike seat pressed into it to get a general shape....

the seat being formed from the workable clay.
    At this point it goes in the toaster oven at 275 degrees for about 15 minutes. When allowed to cool it hardens and can be sanded, drilled etc.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15