Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-30-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I started this build about 5 ˝ years ago, and worked on it for a year (on & off) while I was at college. When I finished college I packed the bike away and have not done a thing to it in the last 4 ˝ years. I was actually working on this model when I joined Scalemotorcars back then. It's been floating around on my work bench for a while now, just because I like to have it nearby, so I think the moment has arrived.

It’s time to start again… I’ll have to go through everything bit by bit to work out where I was up to. The forks look to be almost done. The engine is in the frame with some detailing done. The swing arm needs more work. I have some LED lights in the box to light up the head light and tail light, the turn indicators will flash 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. , and the instrument panel needs to be worked to get the correct lighting to show through.

I remember I wanted to scratch build 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. an oil cooler as the kit part just looks like a slab of plastic. And I found a paper bag containing a roll of ultra thin real leather…. So, I was going to cover the seat too hey? Hmm…..?? I wonder what else I had in mind???

This one could take quite a while to get done.

This is what I’m unpacking from the box at the moment-
      ;';;';

Build Photos

1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-restart-build-002-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-restart-build-003-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-restart-build-004-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-restart-build-005-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-restart-build-009-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-restart-build-011-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Last night I did a bit of work on the turn signals. I got a piece of cooking foil and, shiny side up, gently pressed it into the plastic body with a cotton tip, slowly working it into the corners as far as it would go, and then finishing off the corners with the blunt end of a tooth pick that has been used for stirring paint so that the end is round and smooth. Once the shape was formed I carefully removed the foil and put in a couple of drops of superglue, or CA, spread it all around with the point of the tooth pick, and replaced the foil into position pressing down gently with the cotton tip and tooth pick again. When the glue has dried the foil is trimmed back to the inside edge, and there is a reflector to brighten the light.
    A hole will be drilled through the mounting point for the wires.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-indicators-002-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-indicators-003-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-indicators-004-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Now that was clever.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thanks Syd, it works well. I've used this method many times with much success.
    But remember!= when putting wiring in, make sure everything is well insulated. Don't want a short circuit on the foilI put a piece of clear film, like the bags the parts come in, over the foil to be sure. The lenses have been drilled out so real screws can be put in.

Here is the first one done-
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-signals-002-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-signals-005-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-signals-006-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Excellent....and thanks for sharing the tip.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    I haven't had time to work on the big Kat these last couple of weeks, and now that I'm back into it again, I don't want to leave the work bench.

I took a few photos here and there when I started this bike so I can show you a few of the steps that got me to the point I'm at now. This is the first model I started after a break of over 20 years, and it didn't take long at all for the modelling bug to bite hard again. I couldn't wait to start adding a whole bunch of extra detail. Now I'm considering taking apart some of the work I've done to it in the past and doing it again a little better.

I used white automotive primer 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. in a spray can first, and the yellow is a custom mix from the local auto paint store. I wanted a rich pearl 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. yellow so the guy mixed a few drops of orange into the darkest yellow he had until I said "stop, that's it". Then he added white pearl 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. until it really glowed. Finishing with a mix of gold pearl 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. in clear over the yellow.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-frame-2-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-frame-primed-2-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-primer-3-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-tank-primed-2-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-1st-coat-yellow-8-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-1st-sparkle-004-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The tail light was given the foil reflector treatment long before the indicators, and I had fitted a small 'grain of wheat' bulb, which worked ok. Later I purchased the yellow LED's for the indicators and thought how much more reliable they are than the small bulbs, so I got a few more to replace the bulbs I had already installed (tail light & instruments). I popped the lens off, pulled the bulb out and put in the LED, and put the lens back on. No different to working on the real thing, just a bit smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-tail-light-6-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-tail-light-7-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-tail-light-11-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-tail-light-12-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-tail-light-15-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-tail-light-18-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The forks went together straight from the box, no modifications, and everything worked fine. I then added the brake calipers and brake lines, and a bit of paint here and there, and it's starting to look ok. Then I brought out the brass bolts, nuts, and washers to replace the molded plastic ones. They don't really hold anything together but they look good
    I also added some hardware to the triple clamps after carving out plastic, drilling holes, and cutting slots.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-forks-3-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-forks-4-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-forks-brakes-1-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-forks-brakes-2-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-forks-brakes-3-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-forks-brakes-5-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-triple-clamps-3-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-triple-clamps-5-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-triple-clamps-6-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    While airbrushing 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. a little test thing I'm trying out (to put in tutorials later), I thought I'd squirt some paint on the fairing as well. Just a bit of satin black where it's needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-masking-ready-flat-black-004-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-primed-flat-black-002-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-black-aplied-fairing-003-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-black-aplied-masking-removed-001-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-black-aplied-masking-removed-011-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Rear suspension (working) was very easy to put together straight from the box with a little paint and a couple of decals.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-rear-suspension-1-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-rear-suspension-3-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-rear-suspension-5-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    I replaced the original air cleaner box with individual foam pods on each carby to give that high performance look. For the pods I used foam finger grips for pens from the stationary supplies store. As they were rounded on both ends I could cut them in half and get 2 pods from 1 grip. I closed off the open ends with a small circle of foam cut from another grip and glued in place. I then used some photo etched hose clamps I bought from Scaledetails.com (back when I first got the Katana) and made my own tightening screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-intake-pods-1-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-intake-pods-2-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-intake-pods-4-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-intake-pods-5-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-intake-pods-fitted-clamps-1-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-intake-pods-fitted-clamps-2-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-carby-hose-clamps-1-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-carby-hose-clamps-2-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-carby-hose-clamps-3-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. skymnky272's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    sherman
    Wow,thats way more detailed than what I did,cool you went for the yellow color. Kindof "Ducati" like paint scheme,just not red. Amazing stuff there Dr D
    Hi all,,just looking to learn about new builders/projects,,and general modeling fun,,cheers!
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thanks Sherman. I never thought about Ducati color. Yellow is my favourite color, especially pearl 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. . I still haven't gotten any further with this WIP 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA. and it still sits next to me at my work bench after all these years.

A couple of years after I started this build my son & I went for a 5000 km ride to see the GP at Phillip Island and I saw this yellow Katana 1100 so I had to take a few pics. The other photo is of my 3 bikes ('93 WR200, '91 GSX750F, '09 GSX1400). I've had the 750 for 17 years and that's the one we did the big ride on. I was surprised to find out a few years after I bought it that Suzuki actually call it a Katana.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-phillip-island-trip-061-jpg  1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-bikes-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-mv-agusta-target-design-front-jpg1/6 Tamiya SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA.-mv-agusta-target-design-jpgThe Katana makes one of my old projects coming back into my brain. Started it some years ago, and intended to replicate the Target Design MV Agusta, based on a Italeri 500cc MV. Never finished it until now.

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    I've never seen this bike before, but I sure do like the sleek smooth lines. So, Michael, you've made a start on a model of this but never finished it hey? You might have to throw a few photos up so we can see what you've done so far. Just a little bit of subtle encouragement mate, that's all.
    Bull dust, blowflies, & the outback. Heaven on earth!
    QUOTE QUOTE #15