Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-02-18 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Attachment 33602
      This is a file photo of a rough finished, Model Factory Hiro The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD Co. 1940 - 47 HD Nucklehead in 1/9 scale. The photo gives a good idea of what the die-cast kit involves. Back in the day, and I am not sure which one, my first ride was a 650cc TRIUMPH. I do not remember which model but it had a Magneto and Spark-advance and may have been older than me. A few more bikes and many years later and I was riding a 1975 HD Super Glide with a 1200cc OHV Shovelhead engine. Harleys were built by AMF then, not a good thing but it kept the HOG alive. With this machine I learned what a motor cycle was all about how to keep it on the road.

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    I had a couple of acorn nuts left over so why not.

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040561-1-jpg

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMc View Post
    krow113....Poste a picture of the problem if you can.
    Although the construction of this model is providing me with a great deal of enjoyment it does have its moments. I find that the metal is unforgiving and it does have a tight learning curve. So if metal is the problem I have some spare parts you can have.

Here is the rear brake cross-over tube:

Pretty sure its a part issue , as metel needs to be removed to fix it. Pretty minor.
    The metal is soft and easily worked. I jigged my frame prior to soldering it:

The frame is nice and straight and strong and the brake tube stood out against the other mounts.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    It is a dilemma, if you lower the angle of the crossover tube, the muffler when attached, will hang lower and level. The result of this fix is that the flex-exhaust pipe will not reach the Y as before requiring further work. I am not happy with this but have decided to leave mine alone.

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    krow113
    I found a picture showing the crossover tube, level. So I am going to level mine and deal with what might happen, later. Thanks for the point out. The high degree of model detail is misleading and leads to a false sense of trust.

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-l1000-jpg

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    Attached Images Attached Images The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-barn-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    The new wheels are working out, with the air valve now positioned on the correct side of the wheel, I know it is but a minor detail but always worth the effort.
    The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-wheels-jpg
    The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040576-jpg

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    I think that the Ford Engine Green paint could have had a bit more shine, too late now. The chromed gas caps and HD logos were too much so after a little sanding The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD and polishing they now look more like nickel-plate.

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040585-jpg
    The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040580-jpg

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    I can't stress how important frame alignment is. The miss-alignment of the first frame resulted in a mess I have labeled "Barn Find" and will be displayed as such. The new fender and oil tank fit in just right and I am now ready to tackle the chain. So it's no coffee for me until the chain is finished.

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040587-jpg

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    The chain assembly was the most difficult task so far so having those spare parts came in handy, also the 'no caffeine' rule helped. I also recommend the purchase of a spare 1/9 scale Motorcycle chain set from MFH for 5000Yen. Or you could do as I did, destroy the wheel and screw up the frame, this will leave you with a box full of spare parts including a spare chain. I am glad that's over with.

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040588-jpg
    The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040596-jpg

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    [QUOTE=TOMc;215552]krow113
    I found a picture showing the crossover tube, level. So I am going to level mine and deal with what might happen, later. Thanks for the point out. The high degree of model detail is misleading and leads to a false sense of trust.

The tube should be level.
    My work soldering my frame together offers an easy fix, cut the upright mount , lower the tube outer end , and solder.

The description of the frame work problems is why I had to jig mine before fusing it together. I could see the pitfalls of the soft metal and certian parts of the frame being very thin and therefore weak.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    Considering the fact that I only have 10 fingers on two hands and this model requires at least 14 fingers. I began with mounting the header section of the exhaust pipe using a 1/2 drop of epoxy The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD at each of the two mounting points. From there I fitted the front and rear flex exhaust pipes. I left off, for know, the kick-starter cover so as to avoid interference with the rear flex pipe. I declined Toms offer to donate a few extra fingers, as he won't own up to where he gets things.

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040597-jpg
    The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040598-jpg

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. TOMc's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    THOMAS
    The Starter Crank is installed and the pipes are hung. My 75-Super Glide had both electric and manual start. The act of cranking over the engine with more than just your finger tip changes your relationship with that machine. In that instant of ignition, when it comes to life you make a connection on a hole new level.
    The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040614-jpg
    The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD-p1040613-jpg

The Mighty KNUCKLEHEAD
    QUOTE QUOTE #27