Close

Builder Last Online: Oct 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 09-16-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Includes Transkit Attribution Build in Progress

I had so much fun with the last big Tamiya 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build H-D I'm gonna build another one. But this time I think I'll blind myself first. I con only work on this teeny stuff for a half hour at a time before I go all squinty for the rest of the day.

Anyway, we got fuel & oil lines (Detail Master stuff) and the multi-link chain kit. I'll join the ends when the kit gets here and I know how long to make it.

For the 90 degree fittings, I split the long combination fittings and added a length of solder, then painted. More later.

Build Photos

1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0544-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build
    Today I learned all Tamiya 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build 1/6 bikes are not the same. As in, the [expletive deleted] chain doesn't fit Harley sprockets. Now I won't feel so bad about putting the chain guard on. I'll use the chain on another project, one that's too weird to talk about here.

Started the build by assembling and sanding 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build the tank and building the frame. Then it's off to the paint booth. I'm using automotive base/clear for a couple reasons. One, it looks fantastic. Two, I had some left over from painting my truck, and at 300 bucks a half gallon I'm not gonna waste a drop. And it doesn't crawl under the decals like some of the less-toxic clearcoats do. Results shown, but the flash 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build takes away a lot of the shine. In person it really gleams.

The kit, like the last one, is 40 years old and this one wasn't stored well. I was afraid the decals would break up once I got them wet, but you can see they didn't.

1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0546-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0547-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0548-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0549-jpg 
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Kit
    Tamiya
    Looks good so far, what is it about the chain that it doesn't fit? Length, spacing?
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. It's the link spacing, or pitch I suppose it's called. I can get two links onto a sprocket, but after two they stop lining up. I could force the issue by making each cut in the sprocket deeper (thus driving them closer together) but the result would be a smaller sprocket. Bummer.

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Kit
    Tamiya
    Well that sucks. I bought one of those kits to do the same thing as your doing, maybe see about having a sproket 3d printed if the spacing/pitch could be figured out
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build
    Well I'm not gonna let it get me down. Actually did me a favor by letting me use all the chain for the next project, rather than the leftovers. And the molded chain does detail out nicely. So on that happy(ish) note, I got on with it. Assembled the engine and gearbox and plunked 'em in the frame. Also detailed out the wheels. I applied a wash of flat & gloss clear with blue & gray mixed in to get the spokes to look more like stainless. Still have to paint up the brake rotors before I can call the wheels done, but it's still a good deal of progress for one morning.

Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0551-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0552-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Kit
    Tamiya
    Looks good
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build
    Now it's starting to come together. The AN fittings gave me fits (super glue doesn't want to stick to the solder) so I made them again with longer ends and drilled into the destination parts. Starting to go a little goofy from all the fine detail work, so I'll take a lil break now. But ain't she a beauty?

Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0556-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0555-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0557-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    What chain set did you try?
    The only one in 1/6-8 that I know of is the MFH set for their Brough kit.
    I have made my own sprockets in 1/8 for various projects , and my own chain links made by Eduard for larger scales too. The engineering is complicated and can easily be wrong.
    Looking good so far.
    https://www.facebook.com/Custom-Moto...homepage_panel
    Last edited by krow113; 09-20-17 at 01:41 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Kit
    Tamiya
    Quote Originally Posted by krow113 View Post
    what chain set did you try?
    The only one in 1/6-8 that i know of is the mfh set for their brough kit.
    I have made my own sprockets in 1/8 for various projects , and my own chain links made by eduard for larger scales too. The engineering is complicated and can easily be wrong.
    Looking good so far.
    https://www.facebook.com/custom-moto...homepage_panel
    hi, do you have sprockets & chain for sale?
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Hit that Fbook link.
    Ask me there.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build
    I used (or tried to use) the Tamiya 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build chain set #12674. The description on ebay says "fits 1/6 motorcycles" so I figured great, that's what this is. Digging deeper I find out that it's meant specifically for the Honda Africa Twin kit. Live and learn.

I think I'll tweak the sprocket on the Rupp minibike and put some of it to use there. Most of it will go to the next build, a true oddball Harley-powered 3-wheeled dragster.

I managed to finish the Super Glide, and it's a little jewel.

Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0558-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0559-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0560-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0563-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0564-jpg 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build-img_0561-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Kit
    Tamiya
    Looks good, i'm still waiting to find one of these for a more reasonable price, just can't swing what their going for on average
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Keep looking, you'll find a reasonable price. I got this one for 99 bucks. The Tamiya 1/6 Tamiya Harley Super Glide build bikes seem pricey, but they are amazing kits, worth every penny.

QUOTE QUOTE #14