Close

Builder Last Online: Nov 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-02-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Completed

Thought I'd try my hand at a big bike kit. Been a while since I built a model, but I'm back in the groove for now. Today's victim is a 1973-issue Tamiya Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun! Electra Glide police bike. But I'd rather be an outlaw, so I built it as a bobber.

Moved the seat down and back, hacked up the rear fender and left a whole lot of parts in the box.

I couldn't help but notice that on the siren cover (used here as an air cleaner) the good folks at Tamiya Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun! spelled Harley-Davidson wrong (see second pic). Has anyone else built this kit and noticed this, or did it get corrected in later issues? Only way I can see to fix it without making a whole new mold would be to buzz it smooth and amend the decal Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun! sheet.

Anyway, here's my Harlay

Build Photos

Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!-harlay-jpg Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!-bikey-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!
    I thought it was done, but... you know. Added a kick starter using the police bits (fire extinguisher and siren lever) along with a foot peg that doesn't get used but is kindly included. Also took some more pics under actual light, so you can see the bobbed fender, pipes and revised seat.

The reson I picked the police bike is that it's the only H-D kit with a single saddle; others have the banana seat and that won't do for a bobber. Could probably fake it with the FLH Classic but I don't like the alloy wheels.

Notice in the speedo pic there appears to be a big wing nut at the fork pivot; the big nut was missing from my kit so I had to improvise. The big wingnut I found on the end of a header pipe from one of the Lindberg kits. It does the job and it's shiny.

Got more bike kits coming. Everything from a Super Glide (which may or may not turn into an old-school chopper) to a Honda Monkey (may build it as a bagger since I have all the bags and windshield from the police kit? Might be too dumb even for me, we'll see) and a 1/8 Rupp Roadster.

I'll try to do build threads. This one got away from me. Now to clean all those fingerprints off....

Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!-bobbit-jpg Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!-peeps-jpg Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!-potato-jpg Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!-speedoo-jpg 
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Looks good
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. shadetree's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Marc
    Nice work
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!
    So here's an update:

This outlaw had so much fun with the last one, I built another police bike. This one was a 1992 issue, and since the D parts were missing (meaning I couldn't even build the frame) I got to take my time with it. For those that are interested, here are the differences between the '92 and the '75 issue:

"Suitcase" air cleaner vs. ribbed oval
    Smooth tank badges with decals for H-D script vs. engraved
    Rocker shift lever vs toe-only
    Choice of smooth or raised-center points cover
    Choice of domed or raised-center clutch cover
    Choice of smooth or holed cover in primary case
    Updated fender trim parts, with decals
    Individual loops for L&R saddlebag cover bars vs. one big loop covering both sides and back
    Front reflector mounted on fender vs. in bumper
    Bumper strips no longer wrap around
    California license plate now included, along with NJ and Japan
    Updated rear fender and taillight

Siren cover still says HARLAY-DAVIDSON

Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!-img_0591-jpg Tamiya 1/6 H-D Police Bike- Outlaws have more fun!-img_0590-jpg 
    Last edited by Old Busted Hotness; 11-13-17 at 04:45 PM. Reason: more differences spotted
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Looks good
    QUOTE QUOTE #6